Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The small set thing is the biggest reason why I don't think those are legit.

Although, and I made the same point on Tumblr, both BFZ and Oath aren't exactly paragons of complete design so who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Balon posted:

If the numbering on Mirrorpool is any indicator there's at least 11 lands in the set? Does that seem like too many to be real?

Don't small sets have two of each basic land? That's 10 right there already.

VV: Magiccards.info has basics for Mirrodin Besieged and New Phyrexia, as well as Fate Reforged so I kinda went off of that.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 18, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Voyager I posted:

It's the set partner to BFZ, so that's probably a design goal.

BFZ had design goals? :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

kizudarake posted:

Would wastes mean it's possible to deal 6 with tribal flames?

It doesn't have a basic land type, so no.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Because they like to present big tournaments as high-level events, not people forgetting how to sequence the Splinter Twin combo.

ChannelFireball didn't have any issues showing all the rounds, and that was Legacy. There's, what, 2500 people there? Can't they find 2-3 folks who aren't going to forget their Splinter Twin sequence or something?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

From what I've heard on Tumblr, Liliana is pretty terrible to Jace, and a lot of folks who are interested in shipping (yes, they exist) are against that relationship for that reason.

As to why I know this... :negative: is all I can say.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If they don't involve a pairing that combos off in-game I'm not interested

Mesmeric Orb + Basalt Monolith is my OTP

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Madmarker posted:

Don't worry, besides everyone's OTP is Karn/Ugin.

Karn/Jhoira :colbert:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

They should print "Threshold -- This card gets worse"

I think that works well with mill and flashback.

I was gonna say that, it would be a neat effect. But I doubt we'll see it, because feelbads.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Someone posted this on Tumblr yesterday.

It isn't perfect, but dang, I wish I'd done this first.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Sol Ring, Demonic Tutor, Yawg Will, Tinker, Force of Will, Sensei's Top, Jace the Mind Sculptor, Counterbalance, Jitte?

I dunno I just looked at what's placed in Miracles and then some other inherently broken cards.

:shrug:

Sol Ring, Demonic Tutor, Time Vault, Tinker, Will, Necro (or Grizz), Jace... And I'm missing two. Top and BBE?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I don't get it.

A miscarriage is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for couples to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the woman than on the man. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

It's a joke based on this infamous comic:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Terrible Horse posted:

I didn't get it either and "knows famous penny arcade panels" or whatever is a pretty niche prerequisite for a joke.

edit: also "asking the on-call nurse where a room is" isnt really the same as Opposition, and "doctor regretfully explaining what happened" isn't Browbeat. I give this a 1/10

It wasn't my original joke (but I'm glad people liked it), I said I copied it off of someone on Tumblr.

But you're right, it can be improved.

VV: Oh I know, I was mostly commenting on how Opposition and Browbeat don't fit super well. :)

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 3, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Terrible Horse posted:

I originally thought the joke was "Don't kill the messenger" lol

When I first saw it, I tried to see a combo. :downs:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Fair enough!

Besides, we just got Judge promos this year. I don't think they cycle through them that fast.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Stoneforge Mystic is a pretty random choice for a promo to begin with. Snapcaster Mage as the GP promo makes like 10 times more sense than Stoneforge Mystic.

It's also banned in Modern, which makes it weirder.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

LSV really isn't the kind of guy to get fired up about stuff, but if any thing could turn the situation heated, that'd be it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Admiral posted:

Shameless plug time!

I posted a link a while back to my playmat designs on Inked, and I've since made a lot of them available (plus some extras) as t-shirts and hoodies on RedBubble. Gitaxian Investments & Securities is one that isn't available as a playmat, and the newest design is Oblivion Sewing & Alterations. If you're looking for a cheap MTG related Christmas present for someone - these might do the trick. =0)

I love these (especially the Urza's one). One suggestion: If Redbubble allows, you could do the logo on the right front of the t-shirt, I think that'd look a lot like an actual company t-shirt.

Also, is Gitaxian Investments & Securities going to be available as a playmat later? Or does all the blue make it doubtful?

VV: Yeah that seems like an issue with thin text. I was thinking of the kinds of shirts that workers wear, with Big Al's as an obvious example. Shame abut Gitaxian too.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 6, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This seems like some YuGiOh stuff. First PWNAGE (ugh), and this... What's with Ken Nagle and that kind of thing?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

EDIT: Dang, double post.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sickening posted:

I more excited about who they will be dropping more than who they will be adding. Rich Hagon just needs to stop.

I had a similar discussion on Tumblr last night.

Ideally, we'd get Feline Longmore and LSV commentating telling stories.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

EDIT: What the hell, do I double-click Submit or something? Second time I double post in two days.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I'm always antsy about Judge Conference deadlines, and it annoys me. The deadline for the Winter one in my region is coming up in ~1 week, and I can't decide to go or not, mostly because I have a hard time parting with cards. But at the same time, the promos are crazy (Ravages of War, Wasteland, Damnation, and more), and I figure that the Ravages alone is the whole trip.

I think it's just me being bad with cards and time, but it keeps happening and it's annoying, it's not like it'd be a ludicrous cost or anything (plane is 100 euro, and I think I can go by train to the location for an extra 4 euro or so)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ramos posted:

What even happen at Judge Conferences anyway? Besides the free cards.

Hanging out with a bunch of Judges, networking kinda, listening to presentations about stuff, workshops... Drafts and stuff in the evenings. I've been wanting to get back in the Judging groove when I get home and it seems like a good opportunity to get a start. "Hey I haven't been around a lot, how do I get started?" etc.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

I thought it was brain damage in the same vein as people wanting to use D&D for non D&D game things.

Although abstractly magic's resource generation/spending system is pretty useful. Flavor justifications, eh v:shobon:v.

Well Space the Convergence was already a Wizards thing, so it's not much of a stretch that people would expand on that.

But Star Wars is more of a stretch I think. StC is still a cool idea though, especially seeing the divergence that would have happened if it were real

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

So some Tumblr news about {C}

Yes, the mana symbol for producing colourless will change. Sol Ring reprints will have "T: Add CC to your mana pool", and not "T: Add 2 to your mana pool". I know people (incl. myself) were wondering about that, even though it's not an actual functional change.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

4UU
Sorcery
Surge 3UU (You may cast this spell for its surge cost if you or a teammate has cast another spell this turn)

Return all nonland permanents to their owners' hands. If Crush of Tentacles's surge cost was paid, put an 8/8 blue Octopus creature token onto the battlefield.

I like the Surge thing. Hopefully we'll get something cool and pushed for Eternal, and not just "you get a one mana discount woo"

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 12, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

:frogsiren: Narset live on cam! :frogsiren:

EDIT: And she's gone, got her emblem out.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 12, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

The "baggage" is actually a good thing, though.

What "baggage" is there? The clarification that Sol Ring makes colourless, and not mana of any colour?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Greece on cam! :monar:

Dr. Stab posted:

That's what I assumed was meant.

It isn't really baggage though, it's clarification. Baggage was the fact that "produces colourless" and "costs generic" were the same symbol. Unless I'm missing something.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Myriad Truths posted:

I don't know for certain that the new rules are that Wastes produce {C} because basic lands without a land type just automatically produce {C}. However, if they are, then Urborg does shut it off. Wastes doesn't have a type or any text at all, so just making it a Swamp means it no longer qualifies as a basic land without a land type and cannot tap for {C}.

They could just make it so Wastes taps for {C} as rules text though.

That isn't the rule. Waste is just a Basic Land, without a type, and the text "T: Add C to your mana pool." No new rule about basic lands without a type. If you have Urborg, it just has "T: Add C to your mana pool." and "T: Add B to your mana pool." (or just "T: Add C or B to your mana pool.")

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The existence of a new mana symbol and rules surrounding it. It's only really a problem if they just use it as a dumb Eldrazi flavor gimmick and then abandon it. Then you're left with another piece of rules baggage like Banding, Flanking, Rampage, or old bad templating -- stuff that won't affect the day to day but will creep into someone's EDH game, have to be known for the sake of a single card if it becomes legacy playable, etc.

If it just becomes an ordinary part of the everyday Magic design space, I don't see any problem.

Good, cause that's what it will be. Colourless mana (the kind that Sol Ring makes) will now be C. They won't use "has to be colourless" mana in costs in every block, just like with Hybrid and so on.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I hope it isn't related to counting card types at least.

Tarmogoyf reprint confirmed.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

using generic mana in a colorless spell versus using colored mana as generic.

maro had some post where he admitted it's a dumb mechanical gimmick for the set and not some actual forward-moving evergreen design tool (not as colorfully as I did, but he said it's an OGW mechanic and we won't see wastes in future sets).

a) You don't USE generic mana. Generic mana appears only in mana costs. You can use coloured mana to pay for a generic mana cost.

b) MaRo has literally said that colourless as a cost is a deciduous mechanic, like Hybrid or Scry, and while other planes might not have a straight reprint of Wastes, they will have some equivalent.

VV: Woop yeah you're right.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 15, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Niton posted:

Don't feel too bad, it happens to everyone! EspeciallyEven LSV.

Nah, this is fake or something, LSV is whitelisted. :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

◇ Is Not Crash :colbert:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sickening posted:

So bizarre that so much goes into this system and yet its used for almost nothing. So much money is left on the table.

Not familiar with how Wizards handles anything Internet-related, huh? :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Those are some stupid arguments. I mean, yeah, leaks are bad (for Wizards) cause they throw a wrench in their plan for how to reveal stuff and how they get to spin the reveals etc, and you can just say "They're also bad because they lack the context of their planned reveal so blah blah". But nope, "it's stealing guise, cmon, don't just serve ur egos".

I don't even know the name of any leaker, the closest thing I know is Mythicspoiler which just aggregates them.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

tgijsola posted:

they'll take MTGO seriously

Be realistic.

If anyone from Wizards is reading this: I'd drop money on your online product during this coming holiday season, if its reputation and your apparent attention to it weren't such as they are now.

SoftNum posted:

Isn't their standard diatribe on this sort of thing about how magic players can't possibly understand how complicated mtgo is and how we should all just shut up and be happy with what we have?

Would be a valid point if other programs weren't doing the same thing without being MUCH worse. Yes, XMage doesn't have all the cards (hell I've never even used it), but I don't think it's ever had "You can no longer get these previously-functioning cards in booster packs because something went wrong.", which is just embarrassing. Or even if Wizards was a small up-and-coming company, or if Magic had exploded overnight and they were playing catch-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

netcat posted:

the holiday cube is starting.

Why do you think I mentioned "this coming holiday season"? :)

• Locked thread