Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

hi guys would you like to see what twoo has been up to, because apparently it's videos like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=965sM3YoTsI

better watch out for that hair industry!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Niton posted:

Let me be the first to say: Holy poo poo does Support look underwhelming.

Eldrazi cards look sweet, though, especially Spatial Contortion. That card's going to see non-rotating play.

I do not think that card is going to see non-rotating play(assuming you mean Modern/Vintage/Legacy). Where does it slot in?

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 28, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Niton posted:

I'm not sure where it slots in, but it hits a sweet spot for both mana cost (2CMC) and versatility (can be used to pump an X/4 if that's relevant to your deck).

Let's just talk about Modern. 2 mana is actually a decent amount for a removal spell in a world with Dismember, Path, and Bolt; it's the same CMC as Terminate. What deck can easily produce colorless mana and isn't maxed out on those? The first one that jumps to mind to me is Tron, but I don't think Tron wants to be spending its early turns on such a low impact card.

(By the way, in Modern not being able Deceiver Exarch with your removal spell is a real, serious problem. You might say "play it in Legacy" but I think the essential problem still holds there, plus Legacy is generally a more powerful format).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Like, the one thing that card does well - killing Etched Champion - is something Tron doesn't really care about, since its strategy of make enormous colorless threat on turn 3-4 is good against etched champion anyway. It's more interesting in Affinity, but there why are you putting it in your deck over dismember? Are there any other decks in Modern that can expect to consistently cast it and care about both Etched Champion and Burn (because otherwise they would probably just run Dismember)?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Static Equilibrium posted:

Yeah I don't think there's a way to abuse it which doesn't work better with either basics or karoos.

Edit: forgot about prime time, so it probably is good as a 1-of or 2-of in amulet bloom as a tutor target.

When would you tutor for this? Why would you want it? What would you cut?

People need to actually try to play Bloom, even if they only goldfish it a dozen or so times on xmage. The deck is incredibly tight, since the only cards that aren't lands and don't dig into your library are u/b pacts, amulets/blooms/azusas, and hive mind. I actually can't think of a scenario when I'd tutor for this card instead of a bounceland.

That said, I could see it seeing play in the deck, but not as a tutor target, more in the Gemstone Mine slot.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Promos(in order, Release, Buy-a-box, Game Day, Game Day Top 8):

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

How is it too slow? With drum, mox, and its knack of having an empty hand, the last thing I thought I would hear is "slow".

I haven't played affinity but I suspect the issue is that a lot of the time you'd rather activate some manlands. I'd still try out at least 2, I think, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being not good enough.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

oh have a picture of eternal pilgrim that doesn't cover up the name

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You could combine it with phyrexian dreadnought for MaskNought shenanigans but I'm not convinced that's better than actual MaskNought, which no one plays anyway

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

I'm almost certain it's not because you sort of have to attack with the dreadnought/"dreadnought" at least twice in most situations, and this means you have to jump through an extra hoop since it's only until EOT.

Well you should be able to stack the triggers in such a way that you sac eldrazi guy as your 12 power, right? Still stiflenaught with less utility in the second card basically, and no one plays that anymore either

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Walker Tutor

With inspirational Jace blurb

I'm on my phone so I don't feel like looking it up but I think this is only the second card in Magic that does literal nothing without a planeswalker involved. Remember the first one? It's The Chain Veil

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Voyager I posted:

Can't wait to hatedraft this after someone across the table from me flips out about opening a Gideon.

This is in pack 1/2, Gideon is in pack 3

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Edit: slow. I like the card, even though it's bad.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 30, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

Edit, 10 to the face for 5? Well that is kind of interesting.

Offer only valid if your opponent does not care about their life goal

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/limited-information/five-amazing-threes-2015-12-30

Gold uncommons, I'm on my phone or I would post the images

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

3BB thing looks okay but not great in limited. The numbers are large enough that's it's absolutely backbreaking when you're ahead, but small enough that a lot of the time your opponent will go "sac some random bear/spawn, take 5" if the board is even. It also does literal nothing when you're behind. I think in general I would put it in my deck, but I wouldn't be thrilled. It's certainly worse than a premier common like Complete Disregard unless you're really aggressive. It's also probably worse than an above average common like Sludge Crawler in most decks, I think.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

The green ones seem fine, but not good enough reasons in and of themselves to move into those colors. Since they're gold, that makes them bad first picks in my mind.

Fwiw while I still don't think it's as good as the Man-o-war or the br guy I think the GW dude is going to play better than it looks and the RG dude is fine too.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

alansmithee posted:

Ehh, I could almost see a (near) totally creatureless Esper build using it.
You'd get white for Silkwrap/Planar outburst/Gideon
Blue for Jace/Negate/Dispel/Treasure Cruise
Black for Duress/various removal/ObNix/Painful Truths

Basically just constantly blow up the board, and anytime they try to get cute and hold back you'd be able to punish them with discard 4 or 10 dmg.

Not sure how good it would end up being, but I'd probably try it since I hate creatures.

that sounds awful, when you want to it to actually win your opponent discards cards and sacs creatures and if you're casting it before you've already basically won the game it does literal nothing since they just take 10 and continue doing whatever they were doing

I think that card is unplayable in constructed in all circumstances(feel free to dredge up this post when someone plays it), but if you were going to try to run it the place to do it is in a place where your opponent actually cares about their life total

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

They should keyword different types of flavor text so they don't have to write them out each time.

Juvenilia (This card's flavor text was written by a 12-year-old trying to sound cool in an AOL roleplay chatroom, circa 1995.)

at least the truly putrid names have largely vanished I think

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

I'm sorry, but Unscythe, Killer of Kings is the exact sort of stupid name that's good.

what the gently caress is an unscythe though?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

For whatever it's worth(very little) I think the best card spoiled today is the manowar and that it's going to see Standard play and has a shot at seeing modern play

This isn't related to any particular conversation I just wanted to make a prediction

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

An undead scythe, clearly.

When zombie Sigmund kills you, does he use an Unscythe?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

No, because he has only the regular scythe he had upon death.

For it to be an unscythe, you would have to kill the scythe and then reanimate it.

So I need to Tukima's Dance his scythe and kill it first?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I feel like "why is [fringe eternal card] expensive now?" should be on the bingo card.

this kind of #mtgfinance spec wasn't a thing yet when the bingo card was made

basically it needs to be updated

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

oh I finally read the uncharted realms; sadly, the first half of it was pretty bad and the second half was okay(written by the second writer).

Nissa gets mad obby and goes to attack him; he beats her, then he beats jace, then he beats gideon. that's basically the entire story

presumably the cavalry(meaning chandra) is going to show up to bail out ARE HEROES next episode

also we had this line of text:

quote:

Nissa only saw the thick, pink tentacle after it had struck her. Ulamog.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

little munchkin posted:

a good way to deal with planeswalkers is to have your own good cards in your deck that do things. For example, you could play a creature and attack with it.

Yea maybe the'll print an efficient counterspell

dka had nephalia seakite, bone to ash, and griptide, and I think they've done something similar since. It's not unimaginable that there's a 4 mana flash guy or repel or something

also 4 mana isn't efficient for a counterspell

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Edit: double post

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

little munchkin posted:

If my limited opponent is playing a bunch of 4 mana counterspells I'm not scared at all though. If he's running effecient counterspells and a draw engine then that's when I start getting a little nervous.

well the point I was driving at is when your blue opponent passed the turn on turn 4 in DII you had to try to figure out which trick they had. Something similar could happen again.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

also FNM promos:

and yes oath of jace is like the worst goddamn flavor text, especially for someone who just got thrashed by obby

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Oh god there's a planeswalker matters theme at rare, assuming this is a cycle

please don't let it be a cycle

I think there's going to be at least 4, for our power rangers

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Hey, remember when we thought they might be reprinting the Exodus oaths because the black one is the only one on the reserved list and they conspicuously excluded a black planeswalker from the cycle :coffeepal:

gently caress Wizards.

you want a full cycle reprinted where one of the cards is broken, 2 of them are bad, 1 is probably in the 50 worst cards ever printed, and only one is in a place where it's interesting and good but not broken? Okay man

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

I'd be surprised if Wizards even remembered the existence of the original Oath cycle when designing these. People are way too eager to latch onto things with vaguely similar names and assume they must be related.

I'd be surprised if they didn't, the people in Wizards are old-school players. I would bet they decided "whatever it's been nearly 20 years we can make another cycle of oaths"(assuming there is a cycle, of course). Also I'd like to slightly modify my earlier statement, I think oath of scholars is a card that could be interesting and good now that it's possible to build blue decks that are not either pure control or combo.

Also also, I don't have a problem with Oath of Jace mechanically in any way. I think the art is silly, the name is mediocre, and the flavor text is putrid, but a rare that is at an(imo) Standard playable power level, does not fit into any decks currently, and is playable but mediocre in limited is basically everything I want from a rare.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with equipment is that it has to be overpowered to see play, even in limited (or have an additional playable mechanic attached to it like Living Weapon). I honestly don't even see why they make it outside of artifact themed sets, really.

What do you mean by "overpowered"? For instance, Trusty Machete was great in Zen limited and Adventuring Gear was still pretty good

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean like Bonesplitter.

So how do you feel about Trusty Machete and Adventuring Gear?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

there are alternate cost cards that are bad in both modes

the first examples that jump to mind for me are some of the awful poo poo creatures in masques block, probably because I opened them from boosters

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

so the interesting thing about this is that it is bad against bolt in a somewhat counterintuitive way. If you try to switch to a 4/1 and they bolt in response to the activation that turns it into a 4/1, the stack will look like this:
bolt
fumarole activation

so even though it's a 1/4, it takes 3 and switches to a 4/1 and dies

• Locked thread