Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Rmember that small sets are now basically medium sized and provide two packs instead of just one for drafting. It should be much easier for them to introduce new mechanics than before.

That doesn't mean these cards are real, but Oathwatch being a "small" set isn't great evidence against their authenticity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Not for a Zendikar block set, no.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

the biggest reason it's fake is that ♦ is a pretty drat big mechanic to be introducing in the small set. The third set problem's gonna be the second set problem.

whydirt posted:

Remember that small sets are now basically medium sized and provide two packs instead of just one for drafting. It should be much easier for them to introduce new mechanics than before.

That doesn't mean these cards are real, but Oathwatch being a "small" set isn't great evidence against their authenticity.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Christ, fine then, ♦ is a pretty drat big mechanic to be introducing in one set. The third set problem's gonna be the second set problem.

Nah. If anything BFZ was already stretched thin between callbacks to original ZEN and adding a few new things. There definitely wasn't room for a new basic land. Adding something big splashy and cool in Oathwatch is actually how you avoid the old third set problem.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'd rather WotC take big risks that could potentially flop than play it safe.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Even if these are real, I doubt it'll make a permanent change to how colorless mana is produced because it'd make it too much like a for real 6th color. It'll be a gimmick for this set and for wherever they bring it back.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I don't think that's the type of quality evidence for your argument that you think it is.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Build a cube.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It'd probably only see play as a 1-drop and even then it'd need the right metagame to make it. Zero power without investing mana makes it a really weak threat.

Edit: misread and thought you meant a regular shade

whydirt fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 26, 2015

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I hope when they combine their powers they just summon a Chromanticore.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Well one is supporting the flavor and a mechanical theme of the set while the other is just a random mythic in a core set. Legends also tend to get more wiggle room in general. It's a color bend for sure, but I don't think it's as big of a gotcha as you think it is.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

IIRC, the "il" prefix just means they are renegades of the given group.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

From the way Maro has talked about it, I doubt we'll see miracles back in a regular set.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I still want to see two of the three of Bolas, Phyrexians, and the Eldrazi fight each other. Villains fighting other villains rules.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If you can't understand why bestow and transform are easier for casual players to understand than suspend, maybe you are the dumb one.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

I can see the silent rage on his face in bonfire.gif

Yeah that definitely burned him up on the inside.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It's a miracle he didn't punch someone, to be honest.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gridlocked posted:

It's like there was a time where Travis Woo was considered good AND not a total gently caress head. And it really wasn't that long ago; like maybe a few years?

Backward stair walking is a hell of a drug.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Everyone knows you don't have to wash your hands if you skip wiping.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

4/4 for 4 is lovely until Khans rotates out. Could be good after that though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Honestly no one should play Magic.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

True colorless is a neat mechanic for Eldrazi, but I don't see it being evergreen. I think at most it'll be like hybrid mana and just used occasionally where it's needed.

The more often it gets used in costing spells and abilities, the more it will feel like a permanent 6th color, which I would guess WotC wants to avoid.

Changing colorless production to a unique icon is cool and probably helps understanding in the long run. It'll confuse people in the short run for sure though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Neo Kozilek owns

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I want a remake of Trading Places that uses mtgfinance as its backdrop.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

What deck would Eddie Murphy play?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I changed my mind - I want to hear Charlie Murphy tell the story about going to Prince's house, but instead of playing basketball they play EDH. Prince plays Maelstrom Wanderer as his commander and wins on the first turn.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I had completely forgotten that OTG was going to have a teammate theme. Surge seems cool!

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The giant octopus pulls everything beneath the waves (into players' hands) and if you surge the octopus comes out to play. It's not perfect, but mass bounce has been flavored as tidal waves/deep sea creatures before.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Surge will almost certainly be in all 5 colors, but I'd bet it's probably centered in U/W like awaken was or maybe in U/R for limited.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Strip Mine might also have a higher supply than Wasteland given it has actually been reprinted in white borders. Dunno enough about print runs to say for sure though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Colorless doesn't count for sunburst or converge - wrap it up sixthcolorailures

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I almost wish they'd done the change to the colorless mana symbol in Origins. Core sets have been used to make rules/templating changes often and it would have hinted at colorless being a thing in BFZ block without giving too much away.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Like LSV, I think that redrafting is good when you and some friends draft packs for fun on your own and awkward at best otherwise.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm phone posting, but off the top of my head it'd be roughly 75%. (17/33 + 16/33 * 17*32 or roughly the same as getting at least one heads from two coin flips)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Banning a judge is an act of mercy.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I think it'll be a looter without evasion just like the dumb Izzet Keyrune from RTR.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

All trees are Devoid of the true meaning of Christmas: that the mtg holiday gift box is made out of lovely cardboard and glue.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Time Vault's not in this version

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

There's a big difference in showing some basic self confidence and making dumb jokes during a stream or YouTube video in order to entertain your audience and being a jerk to play against face to face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm one of the nicest posters in this thread. :smaug:

• Locked thread