Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
:thurman: Cheon Touchdown Unbelievable :thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I don't see how Damnation would have improved the current Standard

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Playing two spells in a turn isn't a once in a blue moon occurrence.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Kilo147 posted:

And doesn't killing them on Zendikar release them to the rest of the multiverse, with severe consequences?

Let's hope so! :getin:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Processing was Ulamog's deal cause he like to eat . True colorless seems to be Kozilek's schtick as the mind Eldrazi.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It's new name is Eldrazi Charm or maybe Kozilek's Charm

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

There may be a lot of bad flavor text now, but I'm so glad we don't have quotes from or art depicting the Weatherlight crew anymore. Gerrard was a bad Commander Riker ripoff anyway.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

This set rules

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

mandatory lesbian posted:

The whole only having one white eldrazi thing makes no sense to me, like why bother

I mean yes the white eldrazi is really good but like, i don't see why they stopped at one, frustrating tbh

Limited. More specifically, emphasizing mechanics differently for limited vs constructed. You only need one good card for the latter, but a critical mass for the former.

Master of Waves from Theros is another example of having a card pushed for constructed for a mechanic that was essentially absent for the color in limited.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 10, 2016

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It was kind of strange to get the enablers for theros block in origins.

Not really. They seed stuff that pairs with the mechanics for the block rotating out in the final set in its Standard season to give it a final hurrah. It also ensures that if they go overboard with a theme that it won't be in Standard for too long.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I run Nissa's renewal to thin my deck. The life gain is just a bonus.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I don't think Magic is in danger of dying anytime soon, but this is the kind of community outreach decision, along with the judge banning thing recently and the new Duels video game being so terrible, that could at least flatten growth into a plateau. Pun very much intended.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Given that it technically is a basic land, I think it's good for them to clarify.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Is this a real card?
Is it just a proxy?
Trampled by rhinos
No escape from WotC
Open your sleeves
Read Blogatog and see
I'm not a newbie, I need no sympathy
Because now it's scry mulligans and NWO
Always high, never low
#mtgfinance doesn't really matter to me
To me

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

anglachel posted:

Hmm, so why is Modern Zombies not a deck? I mean Modern Goblins is a tier 2 deck. Merfolk is basically a tier 1 deck. Zombies has solid lords, black has good cards in it.

Seems like a Aether Vial fuel zombie deck that runs lots of disruption and removal would be pretty solid.....

My guess is that it's because zombies as a tribe are mostly about grinding out a long game with value based recursion, which is just not a strategy that works in a format like Modern.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Nah the cube changes are good and make Legacy cube more balanced and distinct from Vintage cube.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

There's LSV's set review articles on CFB. Those are probably the closest thing to a cliff notes version of the LR set review episode.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

If abusing Eldrazi lands in Modern becomes the next big thing after OGW, could Expedtion Map get the axe for enabling both it and Tron? How much would losing Map hurt Tron's consistency?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Tron lands aren't bad when you can't consistently hit them on T3/T4. Ancient Stirrings (which can also grab threats) and Expedition Map seem like bigger culprits than the lands themselves.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I traded my Shivan Dragon for a Craw Wurm since they were basically the same size and casting cost and I liked green more than red.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Also, gently caress anyone who complains about chaff rares if you've not opened multiple *laces from packs.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I do think they're going to have to do something more than $8 Modern Masters packs every other year to bolster supply. There are just too many expensive cards for it to do much to move the needle.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yes

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

A 2/1 flash flyer for 2 mana is good enough to see play in standard if there's a blue tempo shell for it to live in. The activated ability is just a bonus for a long game to potentially dodge removal for free.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I highly doubt Emrakul will be in SoI itself. If anything we might get a reveal hinting at her behind the scenes in the following small set.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Fetches plus typed duals are literally the Devil

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Those are literally garbage

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

What's a newspaper?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm pretty sure Inquisition isn't in because all the Eldrazi themed spells have devoid, so it's stick out if it was the only one that wasn't. Of course, that's no excuse for it not to be in a Modern Masters or other supplemental set.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I wish they'd reprint Blackmail in Standard sometime. While less powerful than Inquisition and Thoughtseize, it's a much more interesting spell.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I imagine the mechanics for SoI will end up looking like:

-Transform
-Madness
-New threshold variant
-Undying
-Comedy Miracles option
-1 or 2 other new mechanics

I don't see them bringing flashback back again simply because there won't be room if they're already bringing back mechanics that were introduced in the original INN block.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Oh yeah I forgot about morbid! I'd be okay with it coming back for sure. I'd bet though that we'll either see it or undying come back but not both.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

One nice thing if madness does return is that I bet they'll match the flavor to the mechanic a lot better. Basking Rootwalla is sweet but has nothing that ties to insanity or being discarded at all.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Those flip card names are great! Kindly Stranger and Town Gossipmonger both tickle me.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Could be! I really like all the new conditional evasion that's not just flying or completely unblockable.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

My guess is that madness itself will be centered in R/U or maybe R/B for limited with only a few cards in other colors at higher rarities. It won't be as crazy as Odyssey because it'll only be the main thing in a slice of the format instead of the entire set. There will still be discard matters in other colors, like the pair of land-based cards in green from that leak, but they won't go as deep.

That's my two cents anyway.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Having been on the opposing side of Moat or Wrath with Force backup in the olden days, I can definitely vouch that it's only good in/against unfair decks is ridiculous.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

It wouldn't have been as splashy, but phyrexian mana probably should have been tied to generic mana costs instead of the colored component.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I would never rare redraft at a store with randos, but it's a reasonable way to split a box with friends who are roughly equal in skill level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

As someone who watches but doesn't play Modern, I think Eye and one of Simian Spirit Guide or Temple eat bans when SOI drops. I think Spirit Guide might be more likely just because it also keeps Goryo's shenanigan decks slightly more in check as well.

• Locked thread