Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Legacy needs ridiculously powerful answers because its combo and prison decks are disgustingly powerful.

Standard just needs hero's downfall, lightning strike, and dissolve. Maybe a good blue cantrip and doom blade as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Tonetta posted:

Standard was almost always really good with the exceptions of the times mirrodin & kamigawa was in rotation. I don't know anything after the latest fetch standard set but siege rhino really ruined the standard experience in a way that wasn't overpowered but was totally unfun

Kamigawa/Ravnica was apparently pretty good, but I wasn't playing then so I don't know if it's true or not

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I've missed -1/-1 counters

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/so-much-amonkhet-news-2017-03-27

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I hope they reprint Astral Slide

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

mossyfisk posted:

Just lol that MaRo's 'wait and see' reason for no graveyard hate was "we wanted to make sure graveyard strategies would be good".

I mean, duh

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

The font is so unreadable that for a a good 10-15 seconds I thought the gimmick was that they were printing them in egyptian

Honestly same

Oh my god

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

BARKACTUAL is so good

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I can't wait for the repeal of rules that require my cards to be easily identifiable, with legible name and mana cost, because the invocations sure as gently caress aren't.

They're, like, the opposite of textless promos in that the rules text is the only part you can actually comprehend.

do not insult NITIBAZEINIT like this

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Eikre posted:

They should have written the card names and typelines like the Rosetta Stone. Use actual hieroglyphs to render the words phonetically, then write them in English using a psuedo-Demotic typeset, and then write it one more time translated into Koine Greek with half-sized print.

Also, there are some correct art opinions in this topic imho. I took thirty seconds in paint.net to explore the common sentiment that Invocations should have been illustrated with Dynastic frescos, and honestly it could have been loving great.

The font is still garbage but this actually looks really good

I'd be happy to play iMICRYPTICCOMMANB!?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Elyv posted:

Chandra creates a little glass tunnel for them with fire

it says something about me that this is what annoys me most here

this is a very good way to die when the glass you didn't anneal shatters

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Look, I don't care what Bolas is up to as long the jacetice league finally lose for once

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Sampatrick posted:

That's uh. Why does it have to be Azure Mage? I like it but it's so dang expensive to activate and getting to 7 cards in hand is kind of hard in this Standard. Without an X card draw spell, I don't see how you can easily enable this.

Ideally they reprint sphinx's rev

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Sampatrick posted:

Do you really think WotC will reprint Sphinx's Revelation? Have they even printed a scaling card draw spell since RTR?

No but I can hope

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Why would you ever print that last ability

Ever

Hero's downfall had better be in the set

E: like I see why it's there in a vacuum but hoo boy is it dangerous

Jen X fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 5, 2017

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I don't think it's all that great outside of standard

In standard, it's a brick wall that just keeps growing each turn and requires at least 2 unblocked creatures just to start whittling it away, and indeed one that literally has to go away so you can win

Especially since it specifically says "target permanent" instead of "target creature", meaning vehicles are out

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

moush posted:

I think this says it better than anything.

It's his yard

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Someone photoshop Bruce Springsteen's album and end this

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

dragon enthusiast posted:

Wish the other side were instant

that would make the card potentially good instead of what it is now though

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

YggdrasilTM posted:

Oketra the True
3W
Legendary Creature - God
Double strike, indestructible

Oketra the True cannot attack or block unless you control at least three other creatures.

3W: Create a 1/1 white Warrior creature token with vigilance.

That is a very nice top of the curve for an aggressive tokens deck, though Gideon is more or less better in every way.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

This card is slightly better than ruinous path, which was mediocre because instant speed is desperately needed

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

There's almost certainly going to be some "desert matters" cards in the next set, so maybe this is just an enabler

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Huh. Very hard to evaluate, but super high upside.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The green god is really goddamn good

Also I just realized that Nissais both a ramp enabler and a ramp target, even ignoring her inbuilt "drop a creature" thing

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Wurzag posted:

yeah but get this, this time they lose

woah

That would be smart, and we can't have that

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Ironically, the least obnoxious member of the jacetice league might actually be jace (ajani doesn't count)

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Sigma-X posted:

The best possible outcome for Hour of Devastation, plotwise, based on my limited knowledge of the plot (bolas is there, gatwatch is summoned, plane spoke to Nissa) is this:

Gatwatch arrives. Find Bolas has built himself a planeswalker factory and shielded the city and warped the culture into one of sacrifice.

Gatewatch stop all of this. The day is saved.

The plane itself or something of similar scale was actually being kept restrained by the sacrifice, and is sentient, the planeswalker harvesting was just a side effect that Bolas set up to extract some value from the terrible process.

Bolas is broken, city collapses, plane rides up, Jace and Nissa move to speak to the plane and convince it that the sacrifice was wrong, Jace tries to communicate telepathically and Nissa through her earth mother voodoo.

It loving eats them and the gatewatch has to flee, knowing a sentient plane is going to attempt to chase them through the blind eternities.

Bolas intercepts them a block or two down the road and suggests that New Phyrexia itself can be weaponized and he had been sowing the seeds for such through Tezz. We go to NP and Bolas tries to play NP, the artificial unlife creator vs Amonkhet, the natural organic life devourer, with the Phyrexian rebellion, jacetice league, tezzerets, and Bolas all having conflicting interests.

sure, except replace "jace" with "chandra"

if fire can kill cthulhu, it can talk to desertland

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

It could have just said "a creature" and been a cool variant of ftk

but no, it has to be a different creature, because...

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

mossyfisk posted:

I feel like in a Limited game, the player who has a 4 mana removal spell that can also be an attacker and can be cast twice, is probably going to win.

I don't give a poo poo about limited

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Flametongue Kavu can only hit creatures and not players, and has to hit a creature so it will destroy itself on an empty board or kill another one of your guys if your opponent has none.

I know this

I also know that I want the modal 4 mana burn spell with flashback in standard

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

End of Life Guy posted:

Amonkhet has two suns

As silently the

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Maybe Atlazan is multicolor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Siivola posted:

I like LRR, Graham can make opening mail look interesting. :shobon:

Graham and Cam are fine

The rest of the LRR crew are bad

• Locked thread