Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Rimusutera posted:

We're talking about 2 as literal theft of property belonging to a Wizards employee here, I don't know what you're on about.

He's a judge and he's very, very mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Did none of you aside from Zoness try to look at this without immediately demonizing WotC?

Like, it seems pretty clear to me that what happened was: there were a bunch of leaks for a few sets now (eg this had been happening before OGW, in like, I dunno, KTK and DTK: maybe they revealed mantis rider or something). WotC learned that all of the people in this group knew about the leaks and told no one. So in response, in order to send a message that not telling on leakers will get you in trouble (though not legal trouble), they gave these people who deliberately refused to reveal the leak source a short suspension. Which is, uh, something they're well in their rights to do: judges aren't employees, regardless of the morality of that, and the DCI is allowed to unilaterally ban someone for any reason. They gave the actual leakers a much longer ban, so it seems like they exercised a bit of discretion.

Is it probably a dumb move? Yeah. It looks like they tried to get everyone who knew about earlier leaks (like the theoretical KTK one I mentioned) and knew about the Wastes/Kozilek leak but said nothing. They apparently also got a bunch of people who had no clue about earlier leaks. I haven't actually seen any of the judges categorically deny that they knew about a source of leaks and didn't tell WotC, so this is just being charitable to the judges' point of view.

It would be nice if WotC would actually say more than "this was happening over multiple sets", because it's also possible that they meant "these people were leaking stuff from multiple sets, and we banned everyone who ever associated with them" instead of the much more reasonable possibility I outlined above.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I figure there had to be 1-2 card leaks in every spoiler season, and am way too uninvested in this to actually check

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Okay, cool, then it's a game of he-said/she-said.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Sorry no one liked your article last week, Trick.

Oh dear god no

also that article was hilariously stupid pandering and WotC would be viewed better if they stopped trying to pretend that it's a moral imperative to not leak wizard cardboard pictures, but let's stay on the subject of what may or may not be another hilarious fuckup

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

:laffo:

Someone compare it to dealing ecstasy in response please

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Deofuta posted:

I just read all the statements again and that is true, but then why were those who did not take actively take part in the spreading/obtaining of the spoilers suspended? If we do not extrapolate a reason from what is presented, then perhaps WotC should provide a reason. Obviously they do not have to provide a reason, but failing to do so can lead to ramifications seen today.

Yeah I hope no one's arguing that WotC shouldn't have seen this coming/shouldn't be a hell of a lot more forthright about things like this

getting a man named "trick" to write an article praising the moral righteousness of snitching and then banning a bunch of people with little explanation is pretty bad

these are equally bad things, btw, trick is a bad nickname

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

The DCI is allowed to unilaterally ban, sure, and the owner of magicjudges is allowed to unilaterally close it down. So no complaining about that! :D

Yup!

I hope this becomes a full-on judge's strike

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

GeneX posted:

Like, it seems pretty clear to me that what happened was: there were a bunch of leaks for a few sets now (eg this had been happening before OGW, in like, I dunno, KTK and DTK: maybe they revealed mantis rider or something). WotC learned that all of the people in this group knew about the leaks and told no one. So in response, in order to send a message that not telling on leakers will get you in trouble (though not legal trouble), they gave these people who deliberately refused to reveal the leak source a short suspension. Which is, uh, something they're well in their rights to do: judges aren't employees, regardless of the morality of that, and the DCI is allowed to unilaterally ban someone for any reason. They gave the actual leakers a much longer ban, so it seems like they exercised a bit of discretion.

:smugdog:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

WotC should hold all events on MTGO for the duration of the suspension, to make the judges completely sidelined

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Cynic Jester posted:

Bolded the relevant part of the post. At no point in time has leaks been something that Wizards has required their consumers to report, nor is it something judges have been expected to report. Just straight up banning a bunch of people out of the blue for something that was never communicated to them to be something they would be punished for not reporting is just another great example of Wizards consistency in enforcing DCI rules. Or even making them.

There are no explicit DCI rules they have to follow; wizards doesn't actually need an explicit policy in place to give a DCI suspension. That's your consistency: refardless of the morality of it, wizards' policy is "we can ban you at any time for any reason."

The dirty not-so-secret about magic is that the consumer doesn't have any recourse if WotC decides to ban them for, say, wearing a hearthstone t-shirt in a feature match.

There's a difference between whether an action makes sense from WotC's perspective (eg banning everyone in the judge chat who, if we take WotC on their word, knew about multiple leak sources and said nothing) and whether it's morally right. I'd hazard a guess that if anyone had knowledge of multiple leaks and the source thereof, and didn't tell wotc as soon as they suspected the truth, wotc would ban them for not going to them sooner, presumably in an attempt to scare people into reporting leakers ASAP.

Is that reasonable? I dunno, probably not. This reaction seems more likely to stop people from reporting leakers altogether than to get the leakers reported sooner. It's a bad move; not because of the ambiguous morality of the situation (knowing about leaks and not reporting them seems like an arguably good reason for wotc to get mad, since the leakers are, though unquantifiably, making the marketing team have a harder job; the idea that it's not reasonable to report the leaks, and that not reporting them would have no consequences, seems a bit more out there than wotc's response) rather because, practically, the message from this ban is likely to deter the exact wrong thing.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 23, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

There's a legitimate argument, mind, that it's unfair to the judges since they didn't have any expectation of being banned if they didn't do what wotc wanted. The problem is that "unfairness" isn't a thing wotc cares about, and never will be, because they value the ability to ban people for unforseen actions (eg crackgate guy) more than they do the illusion of a rigid policy

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

If they don't bring back Flashback, I'll be sad.

If they do bring back madness, I'll be very, very happy. I want a standard where Jace is used in an entirely separate manner, to discard madness cards instead of just trying to fill up the graveyard for delve and flashback purposes.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

I still think the actual way Madness works is a bit too wonky to come back.

Yeah, but couldn't they just change it to a replacement effect? (As in, a new mechanic that works the way people think madness does, sort of like converge vs. sunburst)

eg. something like "if you would discard X, you may instead pay Z mana and cast X."

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Mr. Jive posted:

Saffron Olive articles keep pulling me back in. I hate that guy.

The most recent "Against the Odds" may well be the worst deck he's ever run.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Just stop playing organized magic. No trolling here.

It's a card game; if you're so invested that even the remote possibility of you running afoul of WotC's whims (a bad argument in and of itself, but whatever) causes you to get mad, put down your cardboard, read a book, and maybe play something that you don't quite care about as much. Like some of the eurogames Chill la Chill won't shut up about.

A DCI suspension shouldn't matter all that much to anyone besides the people who make a living off of the game. You can still play magic with friends or in unofficial tournaments, and that's really what the majority of magic players do.

E: this was directed at the guy who wants very specific DCI guidelines for what you can be banned for

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

kizudarake posted:

One of my gimmicks is to take posts from Reddit and MTGSalvation that are silly and post them here ironically.

I think this whole uproar is loving hilarious.

Well goddamn. I was owned pretty loving hard.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Gyshall posted:

everyone complaining about leaks and bans and I'm just over here casting t1 channel into emrakul nbd

I have never achieved that in cube. I've gotten the zuran orb/fastbond/crucible combo. I've gotten like every permutation of twin. I've tinkered T1 for blightsteel, and I've gotten Ral Zarek/Time Vault while it existed

but somehow, every single time I pick channel, I get no goddamn eldrazi

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

It's gonna be a 2/2 with prowess for 1UR, and it's going to be disappointing.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I hope everyone in this thread is banned for the next 3 years, except MCMagic

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

(If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend.)

4UW
Enchantment
All spells without suspend gain suspend X, where X is that spell's converted mana cost.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Also, feel free to ask questions in this thread: when we're not imploding over ~magic community drama~ or laughing at/tormenting mcmagic for his card analysis skills, we're all happy to help out.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

"lsv-types" meaning...?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Ramos posted:

White is never in surplus or shortage. There is always an exact balance of supply of it around.

it's travis "an actual neo-nazi" woo. To him, you can never have too much white.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Cactrot posted:

If they don't print a Lightning Strike that surges into Bolt, they screwed up.

This won't happen for exactly the same reason that fiery impulse can't target players

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Zemyla posted:

Standard has been a dumpster fire since Murdergoats Elixir Control rotated

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Can't wait for this, this, prism array

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

The man o war is a solid card that might, depending on how things go, end up in the core of a UW tempo deck featuring harbinger, it, and various awaken spells like roil spout, clutch of currents, etc.

I'll certainly be trying to brew one of those up, at least.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Elyv posted:

When zombie Sigmund kills you, does he use an Unscythe?

Depends on whether you can give weapons directly to zombie familiars

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I prefer silly puns to generic fantasy stuff. Also I'm always down with flavour text that plays up the danger of a 1/2 with no further combat abilities

e: "Oh gently caress, two toughness??" - Jace Beleren

I very badly wish WotC would return to nothing but worldbuilding and bad jokes in flavor text, instead of using it to tell a disjointed, halfassed story about the knockoff power rangers

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I desperately, desperately wish this could end up as a real standard deck.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

force of will is a fun and interesting card

and should be reprinted at common in ogw

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

It's green anticipate, it's not ponder. Also, it doesn't let you grab instants or sorceries, which means that jund may very well not actually want it.

It'll be great in standard, where G/x decks are always hugely creature focused, but I don't know if the inability to find interactive cards is worth playing it in modern, where not interacting means you're either a combo deck or dead.

I guess the question is whether very limited card filtering is good enough in a format where those limitations matter a lot more than in standard. I don't play jund or junk or whatever, so I can't claim to be an expert, but I don't think it'll work out.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Fish Of Doom posted:

I hope it's just Ob swearing to kill every living being in the multiverse. Have him doing the goofy little hand sign and everything.

Giving the finger, preferably

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

I would legitimately be satisfied with a metagame containing nothing but elixer and/or drownyard control decks

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Reprint mental misstep imo

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Ramos posted:

It'd be poo poo useless in this meta.

I mean, it was more an example of the type of environment that card would need to even see any play whatsoever, but yeah

standard is pretty much all at CMC 2 or higher right now

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

it's best use is in a control mirror, because while surge is theoretically useful, the actual important part of it is "can't be countered".

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Hellsau posted:

Bone Saw is your support. Taste it.

They'll reprint ponder, preordain, and brainstorm at common, obviously.

And surge would still be too weak based on the cards we currently know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Count Bleck posted:

UR Aggro, can it be real?

Can we get there?

I would absolutely love a UR tempo/aggro deck

maybe an even lower to the ground jeskai tempo/prowess deck featuring mentor/new man o' war/mantis rider as highest CMC creatures

• Locked thread