Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ok that explains it, it was pretty obscured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ok I found it, the most retarded price spike of all

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/future-sight/delay

All off of potential use of processing while suspended, talk about speculative.

e: also conveniently called retard in french lol

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

So now the only way I can play the kind of Magic I'd like to in my area is if WotC goes out of business.

Hmm.

You can play still. Just not anywhere that has and values their WPN affiliation. :lol:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I can't really fault the guy for toeing the company line. That is exactly his job.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see how you can claim something as counterfeit unless it fraudulently purports to be real, like those indistinguishable Chinese ones.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
If they're going to regulate what stores can and can't do on their own time and hold their wpn status over their head while doing so, they might as well tell them not to allow any games besides magic, too. Both detract from legitimate magic play.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Telex posted:

high quality slippery slope, A+ effort for saying the dumbest possible thing in a sea of dumb.

Top level slippery slope is revoking dci membership for playing cube at home with proxies.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
But I'm just a poor boy and can't pay the entry fee
He's just a poor boy without a near GP
Spare him his life from this monotony
Easy come easy go will you let me go
Grizzlebrand! No, we will not let you go

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

GeneX posted:

This is gonna be so great

I hope a ton of people are banned from MTGO over this, and reddit explodes in impotent fury again

Dude no one gives two shits. Here watch this

Hello Beta Testers!
First off, welcome to all the new Beta Testers who saw our call to join the Beta program on the MTGO Tumblr and signed up! Happy to have you on board! Please make sure you visit the Beta forums to learn about the Beta program. You can also scroll down for a lot of the basic information, including how to install the Beta client.
You all have found a lot of really important bugs; and we're happy to report that we've gotten most of them fixed already in time for OGW to hit live Magic Online. So mission accomplished! When you log in now, it will be with what we hope is the final build, so many of these bugs should no longer occur on the Beta.
Unfortunately, it looks like one bug that we will not be able to fix in time is that with the new mana system, if you tap your lands and then try to cast a spell, you have to manually select the mana from your mana pool before you can cast the card. You can avoid this issue by clicking the spell in your hand first, then tap your land.
That being said - we need your help! When you log in to the Beta now, you should see that you have 4 copies of each card in Modern and many cards from staple Legacy decks. Click on your Collection and go to the "Other Products" tab to open any new product on your Beta account.
What we would really like Beta testers to focus on now is playing with these cards and seeing how the new mana system works. Please play how you would normally. Some people prefer to tap their lands first then cast their spells, some prefer to click their spells then tap their lands. We want to test both! Even if something is not a "bug" per se, please report everything that you see where casting a card has become significantly more difficult or cumbersome with this new system. For example, how easy or difficult is it to play a Legacy storm deck now?...

and the known issues

Bugs found in the Beta:
Gideon's art is incorrect when viewed in the Collection. Found by aliaras
In some circumstances, the Scry after a mulligan causes the game to hang. Found by Cyphern.
Harvest Pyre caused the game to restart. Found by Derelict and Noah_R.
State based actions are sometimes not performed at the correct time. Found by multiple players.
Kozilek's activated ability crashes MTGO. Found by DarkTruth, derelict515, NotARobot, B0nereaver, mmaciukiewicz, TetsuDC, evogel, EpiphanyG, LinkII, Gammy, zombub, and unfortunately.
High Seas incorrectly affects all red and green cards, not just creatures. Found by Firething25.
Searing Light on Maw of Kozilek caused a crash. Found by pizzaofdeath.
Endbringer causes strange text to appear when cast. Found by
In some circumstances, Chandra, Flamecaller incorrectly exiles all tokens you control. Found by Hydrenking.
If both players have a Kalitas, traitor of Ghet in play, only the active player will receive tokens when an opponent's creature dies (and they will get double the tokens). Found by pvande and Hydrenking.
Rage Extractor has the wrong symbol for phyrexian mana in its textbox. Found by ZacMistri.
Wastes are not properly considered basic lands, most notably, you can't play with a constructed deck with more than 4 of them or find them with some cards that find basic lands. Found by uzsd007, Homedawg, elfquist, LordAnski, chriseay, mcintyre, tomsprong, and MorganTheLame.
Battlefield Scrounger incorrectly reveals too many zones. Found by pvande.
Kor Scythemaster gains first strike too early. Found by uzsd007
Millikin's ability causes strange text to appear. Found by wilykat.
The "reveal a dragon" cards from DTK do not give the appropriate bonuses. Found by benharris5 and goretkin.
Jokulhaups caused a game restart. Found by Derelict.
Primative Justice does not allow extra costs to be paid. Found by Rath.
Demonic Pact no longer shows which modes have been chosen. Found by aliaras.
Eldrazi Mimic is sorted with artifacts instead of with the other eldrazi. Found by CUBErt.
Stone Haven Outfitter's "Draw a card" ability does not work. Found by TobisaBadBoy.
Cards that ask you to discard cards from your hand or from your graveyard as an additioanl cost to cast cause the game to restart. Found by CUBErt.
Cultivator Drone can't pay for Gravity Negator's ability. UPDATE: It can't pay for any triggered Eldrazi ability. Found by 2goth4u.
Wandering Mage caused the game to restart. Found by olias and metalkiss.
Phyrexian Totem does not allow you to continue the game. Found by Zlehtnoba.
Chorus of the Conclave does not allow you to pay additional mana for other creature spells. Found by olias.
Pristine Talisman causes you to lose life instead of gain life. Found by _RvH_
If a creature targeted to gain a counter by support is killed in response, the game hangs (and all the player can do is give that creature infinite +1/+1 counters!). Found by painroolez and DocCtk.
Flowstone Flood buyback causes the opponent to discard instead of you. Found by Cyphern.
The "Flying" text on Thopter tokens moves from the center of the card box to the left when zoomed in. Found by uszd007.
Vile Redeemer does not create an eldrazi scion after paying its extra cost. Found by oldgoat.
General Tazri's activated ability counts the colors of all creatures, not just of allies. Found by piro_siki.
Churning Eddy does not return lands to the opponents hand. Found by Naota_Suzuhara.
Draco is sorted as though it was a green card. Found by Naota_Suzuhara.
Tasigur's ability can be paid for by Delving. Found by gnorilgrande.
Viscerid Drone doesn't require you to sacrifice a swamp. Found by wilykat.
Boros Battleshaper + Menace hangs the game. Found by Derelict.
Benthic Explorer unable to untap opponent's lands. Found by Baalzamon.
Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet can cause weird text to appear. Found by Finalcactus.
Consume Spirit allows you to spend any color of mana. Found by tmurdock and rufo32.
In some scenarios, MTGO will ask you if you want to redirect damage you've taken to your own planeswalkers (though it doesn't actually do so). Found by mr-mulligan.
Liquid Fire does not allow you to choose a number when casting it. Found by boekie.
Shrine of Boundless Growth does not produce mana when sacrificed. Found by Wollo.
Holdout Settlement displays the option to tap an untapped creature even when you do not control one. Found by Saturn.
Stormbind does not require you to discard a card to use. Found by CUBErt.
Kongming, Sleeping Dragon has an extra \ in its name and appears like a hyperlink. Found by lluvartardis.
Annilator does not work correctly. Found by Wollo.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'll reserve judgement till after the pro tour. I would have loved to see them unban something though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Days like today remind me that not everyone has lived through this multiple times before. Maybe they don't make it explicit enough at all times but modern is the format of active management and very good deck is under an axe. I would never foil out a modern deck.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My buddy just bought 250 restos #mtgfinancelife

At least he's making markets not following them I guess.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

MisterOblivious posted:

Yeah, I don't get it. They're in the low 80% satisfaction on Amazon so I expect they'll get kicked off there soon. They've improved from nearly 40% negative reviews over 30 days to 10%, but their 5 star reviews are padded with duplicates by repeat "customers." Hell, there are "Order was late. 5 Stars" reviews.
They've already been kicked off TCGPlayer, twice, and Ebay.

They've been kicked off amazon before and reincorporated iirc. They have lots of amazon devs play there and I know they've had someone go in and adjust their weighting so they always appear near the top of third party sellers on search results.

One of their ex staff told me that 20% of the time people don't even notice that their cards never came. Easy money.

We've all pretty much stopped playing there even though it's the closest and card exchange is loving depressing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

En Fuego posted:

Wonder if Dan Tibbles still runs that store ...

Also, it's nice to have such a glut of stores that we can say screw it to so many (I usually only go to MBH/CK anymore, unless I travel down to Lacey or something).
Yeah he still runs it. Managed to salvage his wpn accreditation too. As I said, patronization is down though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Actually, mtgo is the easiest it's ever been to go infinite right now imo. Earn play points from leagues, spend them on pptqs, play in mocs.

You just can't do it primarily through dailies like you used to is all.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Gensuki posted:

what is the ev of a pack of Oath? I somehow opened a box and came out ahead $50 by starcity prices?

Not really relevant unless you're star city, is it?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I know a lot changes hands at gps. I had one friend sell out multiple complete sets sets at gp vegas* and another who traded up to most of a set there too. The margins are probably less than you think.

*actually he couldn't make it and so my other buddy took em in carry on sweating bullets.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

It's a shiny button that says "put cards in collection," I can't help it :(

I did a Prerelease draft instead and my opponent went Turn 2 Hedron Crawler, turn 3 Foil Thought-Knot Seer games 1 and 2, both of which I immediately conceded because that poo poo makes me salty as gently caress.

I'm kinda looking forward to the new phantom sealed. Who wants standard junk clogging up their account? Once they announce constructed leagues where you just bring a decklist and points to enter instead of digging up Lillys and poo poo I'll call modo perfect. (Keep the pptqs and high end tournaments bring-your-own-cards only so the secondary market doesn't totally crater if you want idgaf)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Saved from the scourge of 9 illegitimate pwps. 99 more weeks of that and you could skeeze two byes for a while gp season!

Honestly why wouldn't the guy just enter is at casual.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I've played in a robe and wizard hat before. It's fun but I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

My friend told me about this lady's magic stream: http://www.twitch.tv/GabySpartz . It's cool and good and has a nice mix of magic going on with other color commentary otherwise, which is what I look for in a magic stream. I see channel fireball on the side so maybe she's sponsored? IDK, but I hope she does regular commentary.

Good news she will be joining the wotc coverage team this year! No one mention her looks :can:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
^^^ I'm sure most people aren't familiar with her yet. I'll reserve judgement till after the pro tour. It's a fact they desperately need a more diverse lineup.

I tried catching up on today's GP coverage and it's pretty shambolic:

- No decombing filter
- 10+ minutes of no sound
- Randy
- No round timers
- Round 3 starting after 3PM

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Rumours swirling about a big announcement coming this week or at the PT, potentially abolishing the reserved list and an eternal masters set.

Jaded as I am I would still buy a tonne haha.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
All that old art still has royalties right? That would probably rule it out.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So on modo right now in the premiere 64 person drafts, after the top8 draft your deckbuilding pool contains your picks from both drafts.

lol :modo:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

That's actually kind of a sweet format - you're incentivized to try to draft to improve your previous deck, and counterdrafting is encouraged, while also getting a lot of picks for sideboard or niche cards or you can go crazy and just have a second deck in your sideboard.

Yeah totally. I could see doing that with minimasters too where when you win you just get your opponent's entire pool. Things would get super sick after a few rounds.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure you guys have thought through the implications of what you're asking. Saying development discovered it wasn't workable is about all you could ask for. To say otherwise would mean they'd have to explain:

- Potentially mechanics of unreleased coexisting standard sets
- At least some indication of pushed cards and how this would relate to them in the environment
- Numerous other details from their process.

Like, not gonna happen.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Not really, they just say it was too good, basically like they did here.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
We had a guy show up to vintage fnm with the online power art ha-ha.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

You have enough people with real power to run a Vintage FNM? You need 8 people to sanction you know.

Yeah mox boarding house holds one week a month. Usually gets 20-40 players actually.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Not to mention that four plucky retards accomplished what 3 premending godwalkers were apparently unable to do.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hey does anyone have a link to that old aristocrats joke full of terrible stuff that had pantheon as the punchline? tia

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Zoness posted:

As work safe as an aristocrats joke so I mean you've been warned or something

http://coolmagicpro.tumblr.com/post/122551309448/a-gp-portland-story-cmp001

took a bit of work but there it is

Excellent thanks bro. :hf:

So who is taking the new eldrazi deck to regionals tommorrow?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/modern-ptq-2016-02-07

it begins...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Who's gonna come up with the Legacy Eldrazi deck...

Way ahead of you : )

https://deckbox.org/sets/1325697

I think it's at least t1.5. It destroys miracles. Lots of experimentation yet to do.

I'm honestly pretty pleased with how the PT turned out. A local won, the new cards got their 15 minutes of fame, people with the dedication and creativity to reexplore the format were rewarded, and we got to see some absolutely sick draws and plays.

Post PT, IMO it's pretty clear that eye of ugin is incompatible with cheaper eldrazi and it has got to go. It's probably not worth waiting till April either since it's obvious to everyone and being a land makes it very hard to deal with without warping the meta even more. Having cards that are balanced for standard and not other formats is fine and inevitable it just requires using the banlist which they've shown themselves capable of doing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Madness interacts in fun ways with any instant speed processing. Clue as a mini rider that uses less budget than a full cantrip is good too. Powerful creatures, self mill, new set looking great!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't suggest trying some of the more esoteric types without a more full understanding of the format and which cards are key to them. You can't just stuff 2 spider spawnings in your deck and call it a day. That leaves the more linear decks:

gw aggressive with lots of travel preparations is probably the 'best' archetype, subject to the usual overdrafting and seating caveats.

self mill with zombies is fun. Werewolves can be very good. Vampires never worked out for me. Grixis control is fun too.

It's a very deep and rewarding format. Enjoy!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I only redraft in home games. We always have teams and the winning team distributes the money rares between them (usually by drafting) which really ups the motivation to do well and not let your teammates down.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Here's my latest evolution of Eldrazi for legacy after trying a pure colourless version Monday night:

20 eldrazi
4 chalice
4 punishing fire
2 dismember
4 rg talisman

4 grove of the burnwillows
4 karplusan forest
4 eldrazi temple
4 eye of ugin
2 urborg
4 ancient tomb
2 mishra's factory

SB
choke
reb
other stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is this mostly to get pfire as removal? I saw colorless eldrazi on CK stream, losing to rug delver round 1

pfire is just really nice for the games that go long or if they somehow have a way to ignore/sidestep your creatures. The manabase also gets easier and you are less susceptible to wasteland.

• Locked thread