Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lottery of Babylon posted:

A 2/3 Vigilance isn't bad, but it's no Tarmogoyf. There's a world of difference between being a 4/5 turn 3 and being a 4/5 turn 6.

Playing as Affinity, I got Inquisition'd yesterday t1, and pitched a Blood Moon into the yard. By turn 3 or so I think my Jund opponent had a 6/7 Goyf on the board. Sorcery, Instant, Artifact, Creature, Land, Enchantment.

This is the stuff that makes Goyf Goyf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I just want to crack my MM2 boxes at this point but that's dumb.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't know if everyone's been around to remember the Legacy or Commander boom, but those didn't exactly pop like bubbles. Cards for those formats are still crazy expensive. Modern is more volatile because things can be reprinted. Like it'll only take a surprise duel deck reprinting to tank the price of Inquisition of Kozilek. Wizards has also shown they're not shy about banning cards in Modern. The threat of reprints and bannings along with constantly shifting metagames is going to make players jumpy.

Right now though, everyone just wants in on the next big thing. People love the idea that they can shock other people by telling them how pricey a card suddenly is. Hundreds of times during the prerelease I had to hear "Did you see what *insert card here* jumped up to?". It's fun for people, somehow.

This isn't Legacy or Commander where the priciest cards can't be reprinted. WotC has direct control over the price of Modern, but they're not going to just reprint everything expensive all at once, because that's blowing their load when they've got Modern Masters 4 and Modern Masters 5 and 6 (etc.) to sell.

One thing's for sure though: Modern cards are an incredibly risky investment. Reprints can and will happen in the near future, and card prices are going to fluctuate wildly.

What was the impact for played cards getting reprinted in mm2? Which can still easily be bought at original price or lower! ($200 lots of places.)

Maybe 10-15%? Goyf is still $130-150. Hierarch $30-35. Cryptic $25. A reasonably priced supplemental set can certainly hit prices harder, but the modern masters model isn't going to significantly hit prices based on past experience.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

Huh? Both CC and Hierarch were about double what they were after the reprint. Goyf was the only one that didn't move as much but as I recall, vendors had an interest in keeping the prices high so made sure they had high buylist values for them at GP vegas.

You're right, my memory is bad. And yeah, gp Vegas buylists were like 120-130 for goyf when I was there.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Drone posted:

Plus you can't tell me that nobody has ever tried to play MtG on those little fold-down airplane tray tables during a flight.

What do you think me and my buddy did on our flight to gp vegas?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Dragon shield mattes are better than KMCs

Agreed. The best ones are the newer variants that are flatter, which I believe are only turquoise and copper.

All my modern decks are sleeved in coppers because I swap so many cards between them.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Boco_T posted:

what's sperling sick of this month

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/sperlings-sick-of-it-january-2016/

oh, it's "having to talk to your opponent briefly before you play Magic against them" and Owen's sick of it too

I can't believe someone would want to say a single sentence to me before a match. How insulting.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Goons overreacting and taking things too literally? Impossible.

The first complaint is something I can see pros who play a ton of games actually whining about, so even if it's satire it's far too believable.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

black potus posted:

satire implies skill in execution and comedic value

The real comedy is that something like that got published in the first place

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This might sound silly but I love using a mid-size camera bag for my magic stuff. Fits any size deck box, has moveable Velcro dividers, has zipper pockets for life pads and pens and crap.

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 27, 2016

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TheLawinator posted:

it also screams "this is the bag you steal" even to thieves not familiar with magic.

Yeah, but that's pretty avoidable. I don't take that many decks around on the daily. Or even to tourneys. That's like what i take play testing with friends and storing at my house.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Wurzag posted:

where did you get that mill deck from, there's no mill deck in that top 16

He quoted from Reddit and that was a troll by the poster.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Count Bleck posted:

There's no feasible way to customize your sideboard to make one of your unfavorable matchups better without making the rest of them really, really bad. This is Merfolk's biggest weakness, it does one thing well and can specialize to gently caress over one other deck specifically while also just losing most games to the other matchups you suck wind against.

If you run 4 Hurkyl's Recall for the affinity matchup, grats you probably get mowed over by Elves, and Tron doesn't give a poo poo.

If you run 8 Seas for Tron, then grats, Affinity and Burn don't care, neither do Elves.

Of course burn cares about 8 seas. My buddy plays the 8 seas version often and burn will frequently keep a 2 lander. If you don't draw another land in time you're proper hosed. I've had this happen to me more often than I want against him.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

3xKTK is so good I built a set cube out of it so I can more-or-less make endless packs of it to draft from until the end of time.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I use deckbox and put anything uncommon and over in it, unless it's some valuable old Common. It has a lot of flaws but is kind of the best of the worst w/r/t options. I hate that their prices are based on their fairly useless deckbox market price rather than TCG like the rest of the world. I have set up a few trades on there but not many.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Man nothing like the intersection between japanophiles and magic players to make this thread more petty annoyances than ever.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

So who else is digging the regionals playmat?

It's like 50% of the reason I'm going and I'm not even a playmat collector kinda guy.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

jassi007 posted:

Yup. They need a product like modern masters that gets yearly updates, focuses less on the draftability of it so it doesn't waste developers time and keeps staples in print. If they did this as a long term strategy it would cap prices to the EV of the boxes. There are things they could do like set a price threshold if a card goes above $50 avg on the secondary market for 3+ months schedule it for reprint and announce it. However this would require them to get directly involved in the secondary market and they'll never do it.

They are essentially always directly involved in the secondary market. As has been written/discussed/linked to many times, wizards directly controls their profit by understanding the secondary market and essentially controlling prices of cards, to encourage the subsequent purchasing of valuable cards on Wizards own controlled schedule and pricepoint of the sealed product.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

If it makes a 70 dollar version of a 40 dollar card that needs a reprint I'm not sure how that helps your average magic player.

About $120 of help.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Literally The Worst posted:

You're reading it backwards. The new version costs more. This does not make the old one cost significantly less

"Expedition" style reprints don't necessarily need to be premium foils with new art. If they were literally the same card with a special symbol the price would (probably) fall. The rarity+foil+new art is a big reason the expys are so pricy, IMO.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Niton posted:

Scalding Tarn is about eighteen times rarer than a MM2 Tarmogoyf was. I would not be surprised if, when all is said and done, BFZ was opened that much more often, thanks to both the length of the format and the ill-advised enforced scarcity of MM2.

You can purchase MM2 sealed boxes off massdrop and other places for $190-200 all day. It's not scarce. It's just not that valuable a set and people aren't buying many boxes of it at the moment because it's smarter to just get the singles. After the initial hype ran out of steam, unless the value creeps higher while boxes stay at $200, they will likely not sell because it's just an ok draft set.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Might be because this is an unusually expensive standard due to the mana and the Jaces.

Man this guys a regular magnum PI

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

So is limited... So is legacy.... So is EDH....

Modern lets you spend money once (lol yeah right) and have a deck you can get better and better at, understand your matchups better, etc. It's a controlled environment you can (hopefully) tread water in for a lot longer than one can in draft. When you draft you leave with a pile of useless cards, unless you opened a decent money card, that you trade to the store for whatever pittance they offer you and add to your store credit to draft next week. Constructed and draft are just entirely different things, obviously, and some stores just have truly terrible limited support.

Legacy, besides burn, has a buy-in of what, at least $1500, to upwards of $2500? Unless you're playing BGx you are spending about half that to play modern.

And EDH is just an entirely different game that is heavily, heavily dependent on your group of friends playing magic, wanting to play EDH in the first place, and having more-or-less the same power level/price level expectations as you. Or trying to find a store that has a good EDH group (lol good luck) that somehow isn't trying to spike EDH nights with busted combo decks. EDH is the format that most relies on your playgroup agreeing on how EDH is meant to be played, so good luck.

Modern is just the somewhat happy medium of everything that constructed players seem to find themselves in when keeping up with standard gets tiresome but the legacy metagame/point of entry/local support isn't conducive to playing. Modern is popular at every store near me, is hugely popular at tournaments, and gets tons of viewers on streams. For people who enjoy some (but clearly not all) aspects of constructed (knowing a deck inside and out, understanding the metagame, understanding matchups, etc), modern makes sense.

The price increases also make previously invested players feel good about their investment in cards. "OK, I paid $700 for my affinity stuff 6 months ago but it's worth nearly $1000 now! Not only am I playing magic, but I'm not subject to the dumb standard price cycles!" It's reinforcing the idea that modern is a good idea for both being able to play constructed, and less financially awful than standard.

Additionally, most (but obviously not all) modern players are usually pretty decent, and mostly better players than a lot of the people I played when I was more into standard. A higher level of play can be fun, as long as you don't face off against the joyless spike who makes you wonder exactly why they are playing the game in the first place.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Zoness posted:

haha look at this guy who spent over $400 (from scg even) for an affinity list

I traded a goyf into 4 inkmoth/4 glimmervoid/1 etched champ during MM2 summer so I don't feel so bad.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BizarroAzrael posted:

I missed the start of LSV's draft, did Mina and Denn make it round to him?

Yes

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

LightReaper posted:

Other than being a miserable poo poo-heal in general, what has Owen done lately to warrant disillusionment?

Continue to be Owen.

I suspect that there was something involved in Efro not testing fully with the team and not getting the team deck list.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

So my local regionals already has 240 signed up as of noon today. Holy poo poo.

400 here in Chicago as of last night. Fuuuuck.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Bugsy posted:

Thats what happened to me last time so I learned my lesson and preregistered.

Going to be fun I hope. And at least there is a sealed PPTQ in the afternoon in case I scrub out (quite likely).

Yeah, preregistering for the playmat was essential for this thing to come out to about equal value for when I scrub out badly.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I don't have anything against Helene at all, but I find it bizzare that Wizards main consumer-facing mouthpiece speaks with such heavily accented English that she is sometimes nearly impossible to understand, especially over phone/Skype when she's on podcasts.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

On the topic of ethics in competitive game play: I was already sitting at a lowly 1-1 in r3 at regionals yesterday and losing in game 2 to Jund for the 2nd time in 3 matches. I'm needing all the advantages I can get and my opponent says go. But then says "oh, wait" and wants to do something. Was I a dick for saying "look man I need all the chances I can get here and in competitive REL I am going to have to say 'you said go' and not let you do that"?

Not that it matters but I ended up losing anyway.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Entropic posted:

Maybe that's how you solve Eye of Ugin being broken. Change the legend rule to "you can only have one copy of a Legendary card in your deck".

I did like the suggestion to errata eye of ugin to only be able to reduce the costs of legendary eldrazi...

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 8, 2016

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The real issue here is that it seems that if decks get adjusted to heavily shore up the eldrazi matchup it will just create larger holes in others, leading to even more of an RPS format, which isn't very fun.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So looking at pro tour lists that went 8-2 or better and noticed some fun things. One, there was an archangel/spike feeder deck that went 9-1 in constructed but didn't place well because of how poorly he did in limited. Also, Michael Majors went 8-2 in constructed with a zoo deck that had 4 burning tree emissary and 4 reckless bushwacker, along with a single devastating summons. The zoo deck would actually be pretty budget friendly if it weren't for the 4 tarmogoyfs.

The zoo deck is fun as hell to play, along with having game against eldrazi (and many other decks) by going wide. I'm not sold on the misers summons, and think I might test cutting a Heath for a Ghost Quarter just for the land blowin' up flexibility. But for now I've shelved burn for it. Last night I had a turn 3 kill off of a t1 nacatl into t2 BTE into BTE into experiment one and kird ape into t3 swing all + atarkas command.

But then I read this from the maintainer of the mtgsalvation zoo thread:
"Nope. I'm officially done. I just lost to eldrazi with a litteral nut draw. Got them down to 5 on turn 3. Then lost. He complained that I made 6 mana on turn 2 with 2 burning trees, then went a head and made tons of it on his own.

Litterally, I made 6 "free" mana in 2 games. game 1 with two burning-trees and game 2 with one. He made over 12.

You've got to be *****ting me.

I'm done."

So surprisingly aggro zoo still gets beat by big-zoo-that-also-ramps-and-has-etb-effects

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 9, 2016

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

En Fuego posted:

Ugh. I love getting Zoo for my Pro Tour Gauntlet, says no one ever.

What a poo poo deck.

Huh? It's pretty great and hugely explosive.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cernunnos posted:

I can't believe it took you almost a week to actually listen to the opinion of literally every other poster in this thread (and probably everywhere else too) about this.

I sure can.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

That My Little Pony power is for sale if anyone's looking to get some cheap power.

Watch it go for more than typical.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

They're beat to crap and his asking price is already lower than normal.

why are you taking the wind out of my hate sails???

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

gonadic io posted:

I've played a lot of finks against burn but playing the gauntlet I finally had it done to me. I am so so sorry burn players. Even timely wasn't as bad for me. I mean it's no stony silence or blood moon, but still.

Yeah it's rull bad and I'm not sure why it took so long for everyone to realize it's amazing. It's like a 3x in infect sideboards now sometimes.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Affinity is probably the hardest deck to consistently play wall in the format.

It was my first modern deck and one of my favorites. Yet I still ran burn at regionals because I didn't want to think that hard all day. It's very rough and requires tons of reps and line analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Good thing Standard doesn't suck rear end anyhow, otherwise we'd have missed IoK's only shot at affordability for nothing!

This is silly to say.

It was like a sub-$10 card for forever until the very-predictable MM2/modern interest bump pushed it to the modest $12-15 range. The set was almost certainly set in stone before it spiked to $20+.

• Locked thread