Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
odiv
Jan 12, 2003

edit: double. Whoops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, I definitely want to finish my playset of Collected Company now. I don't know if it will be competitive, but it should be fun.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I guess it might be okay if you get a lot of scions? Still, the last thing I need when I can produce 7 mana is more mana.

They should print an Eldrazi with C in the cost that has Convoke, just to confuse everyone.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I meant that you could use scions to power this thing out for more mana on future turns. Was trying to figure out when you would need to have this enchantment in play when you can produce 7 mana. I was just grasping for any sort of reason to play this (and failing).

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sort by rarity and check your mythics and rares against their database. Especially stuff that you know is constructed playable.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Someone recently posted the Altar of the Brood, Eldrazi Displacer, Brood Monitor combo if standard mill is what you're after.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Speaking of mtgfinance, is there anyone else here from outside the US not seeing all of TCGPlayer's listings? It's making it hard for me to know what's actually being sold and at what price without going through a proxy/VPN.

Here's what I see when I go through my VPN:

If I just check without a VPN I only see the CFB listing where they want $21.99 for the HP Inquisition and no indication that anything else is being hidden. It literally says Viewing 1-1 of 1 listing.

It's annoying as gently caress, but I think it's related to my location instead of site settings. I'm not signed in to the site or anything. Would be nice to get some confirmation from someone here.

odiv fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 10, 2016

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Did that offsite judge site come back up post-drama? Relying on external services seems bad, but what do I know.

edit: especially loving Reddit.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I want to draw little sombreros on all the eldrazi scions now.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Well, my uncle works for Hasbro and he just called me to confirm it.

Also, the next Planeswalker cards are going to be scratch and sniff.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, I'm wondering if people are spreading that Facebook post around a lot and scaring stores or if WOTC has been sending out messages about this and/or following up more on reports of proxies.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

wotc?

More like wotą

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Maro and some of the other designers have talked about how the initial use of 1/1s and 2/2s led to granularity problems. How do you make a creature that would kill a human, but get killed by a bear? You'd need to either use 1.5/1.5 or have some kind of combat mechanic to make it happen.

The real reason is that more numbers = more better

God, this is so easy. You just start by making every creature have ten times the power/toughness and a new ability word that makes you divide the damage they deal to players and creatures without that ability word by ten. And then round down.

Do I have to think of everything?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Ramos posted:

To be fair, how would you break this to the masses? Being community manager occasionally means having to take poo poo two ways.
Ooh, I know! How about not on loving Reddit. If it's important then you should control the medium.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I can see this being a Milton-in-Office-Space type situation where corporate thinks this isn't anything new or radical, just a clarification of existing policy. So all they have to do is make the situation clear and the problem should go away on its own.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

So, if I were to get a box of the Collectors' Edition from back in the day, then could I play them in unsanctioned games? They're not counterfeit, not legal for sanctioned play, and I don't have to alter them to represent another card, so I think they should be all right?

edit: the subtext is "in wotc's view", obviously

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

Some of that makes sense. Anyone from Wizards with the ability to comment on this at all is a robot who has to repeat the company line and nothing but that. I don't think there's a "wink" involved here at all though. Since no one's been suspended over this, had their WPN privileges taken away, or been explicitly threatened with either of those penalties, it's hard to say whether this Reddit person is right or if this "first warning" marks the start of Wizards actually enforcing their policy.

I think, "Stop asking about it, guys!" is a dumb position to take though. LGSes and people who care about them are going to want to know exactly what is and isn't allowed. If WotC want to be mealy mouthed about it, that's not really my problem. The idea that the community is forcing WotC's hand here and that if we'd all just shut up everything would be fine is naive.

That tweet from Helene is somewhat encouraging, but it still presents a problem for stores that run unsanctioned proxy events. Maybe players just need to start running them without the store's involvement? I can't see that being nearly as successful.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Snacksmaniac posted:

STOP ASKING FOR FURTHER CLARIFICATION.
This was literally quoted on the previous page.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Please stop using the word Sharpie. It is a protected trademark. Use "marker" or "altered with a marker" instead.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Interesting people only look for "patterns" when it comes to women getting into the booth.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Was specifically talking about Sickening's "subtext", jassi007.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The rules episode for Oath was kinda not great. Some pre written lines might have helped them out there because without them there was some awkward and confusing phrasing. Like, "Wastes is a new land type... but it doesn't have a type." and stuff like that.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

dragon enthusiast posted:

is there a tldr version of the lrcast that just highlights about the high impact limited cards of the set
The subreddit probably makes a spreadsheet or something, right?

I like listening to the whole thing, but I can't really do it at work since I need to actually think at work.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is this something that usually happens with bannings?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

oh hey look
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-18-2016-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2016-01-18

I'll just cut and paste the important part.

quote:

Pauper:

Cloud of Faeries is banned.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

They should have printed Arachnogenesis in a modern legal set. Problem solved!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

3 of the 10 people at the prerelease today opened expeditions. I got a Flooded Grove, the guy next to me opened a Tec Edge, and a guy at another table got a Bloodstained Mire.

Went 2-1-1 for 2 packs, but it doesn't matter because the LGS does flat payouts!

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Zoness posted:

This just in, Arcbound Ravager $100 (or $50.59 tcg mid)!
What are you saying here? I'm not understanding.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Honestly most of the kids at my shop are better winners/losers than some of the adults.

Though there is the one kid who mumbles everything and looks like he's absolutely miserable while I'm attacking in for lethal. :(

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sorry for the #mtgfinance, but Modern Event Deck at 85 CAD (60 USD) is a pretty good deal right now, I'm guessing?

Hang on to it sealed?

edit: How does City of Brass tap for colourless? Did the rules change?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

quote:

It's not ideal if you're asked to click mana in your pool when the converted mana cost of the spell you're casting is the same as the amount of mana in your mana pool, or if there's no choice in the types of mana you could use to cast a spell (perhaps if you have {W}{U}{U} in your pool when paying a {1}{W} cost).

Are you serious? gently caress that's going to get irritating.

I guess you can still click the spell first and shortcut that, right?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Except maybe awaken spells. Those can be rough to click correctly.

Semi-related, in my last cube draft, both times my round 3 opponent dropped Koth he animated a summoning sick Mountain. :D

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Captainsalami posted:

Picked up magic online because I work third shift and never leave the house. Is there any advice i can get about how to start out or did I gently caress up?
Watch a bunch of Magic on Twitch first, honestly. You'll get an idea of what the interface and drafts/sealed/etc is like without spending anything.

edit: Oh, and yeah you did gently caress up, but you're in good company.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Here's a useful site:
http://mtgowikiprice.com
Here's another
http://www.goatbots.com/

Pretty much don't buy packs unless you're using them to draft.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sickening posted:

Paul Cheon is such a loving deadbeat. He is telling the people in the chat that there are many downsides to parenting. One of them appears to be that your two year old wants attention from you when you spend most of the day playing magic. It appears his child doesn't want to go into another room all by himself and leave him alone.
Well, I spend most of the day working and not paying attention to my kids. Is he actually the primary caregiver here or just in the same house as his kid while he "works"?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I love this GU Company deck. I picked up some Harbingers and had this sort of built when BFZ came out, but I think Oath really helps it a lot.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Gaby's one of my favourite streams to watch (though I don't watch constructed much). She's got a pretty good ratio of talking through plays and having fun with it from what I've seen. I hope she's able to successfully translate her streaming into some quality coverage.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Man, the GP coverage just showed us 2/3 of Nakamura's draft sped up, said we didn't have time to watch the last pack before the next game and then spent a bunch of time talking and showing us the intro video.

sigh

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

16 decks in that Pro Tour format on MTGO? I understand why they don't just let you pick your deck, but there's no way I have enough knowledge and experience about each deck and its match ups.

This sounds like it's just going to be a festival of misplays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I hope there's a crash and a bunch of wannabe captains of finance lose their shirts and quit it with this poo poo.

That probably wouldn't be enough though. Maybe this is the new normal.

• Locked thread