Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
gonna need something from wizards itself to buy that tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

BJPaskoff posted:

Why would lands produce Z instead of the traditional "1"? Or is that just the new colorless going forward, like Ancient Tomb would produce ZZ?

I'm ok with this if it means a swanky new tron printing where tower makes three diamonds

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Mentally subtracting 3 wins when the match on stream is between two pros at 5-2 or something always makes me happy

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Lord of Hats posted:

Amulet Bloom is cool and good :colbert:

amulet bloom is the best deck in modern if you can cheat and pick your 7 :tem:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Death Bot posted:

I'm honestly not sure white fits into the personality of Sorin, Vampire Pragmatist

It felt like it fit in pretty well with Sorin specifically on Innistrad

he didn't need to help out at all and got nothing but satisfaction and a sense of fulfillment out of it

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Eikre posted:

Color is an attribute of power, not moral value. White is the color of cooperation, not altruism. Black is the color of sacrifice, not malevolence. Putting a manichaeist spin on the color wheel is simplistic pandering horseshit and totally marginalizes an enormous swath of the game's principal aesthetic. A person doing good things can be a detached loner who yearns to do good at a distance, a sneering bon vivant who lends a hand only because it suits his sense of whimsy, or an ambitious jackass who engages in philanthropy only to expand his loyalty base and personal glory, all without taking a step into white. And while they do seem to equivocate on this all the time, the Powers that Are have come out on numerous occasions saying that the color of people's mana doesn't need to match their hats and they've deliberately authored several prominent counterpoints to that fallacy.

:lol:

e:fb

Ramos posted:

The color wheel is exactly what the game designers and writers need it to be at any given time.

Here is a white card with a 1BB cost.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
That said while I was mostly laughing at the idea that the color wheel has any inherent value that must be arduously defended at all costs I was also laughing at the idea that Sorin setting up a heirarchal theocratic social structure headed by an unchanging immortal somehow isn't white when it has always been the color of both dictatorships and theocracy

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Skyl3lazer posted:

Madness is never going to be in standard again, it's the only mechanic they literally can't print reminder text for.

They just printed reminder text for madness in vintage masters, though

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Skyl3lazer posted:

The reminder text is actually wrong though.

vs

Bestow was far worse and was all of two blocks ago

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Pretty hosed up that this guy's ability to participate in Magic: the Gathering tournaments has been negatively impacted by a few rapish indiscretions that have nothing to do with the card game Magic: the Gathering.

please source your reddit quotes

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

If Affinity wanted that they'd play the W sorcery that does that and not bother playing the extra mana for a 1/2 they can't do much with beyond interact with Battle Cry

the power of sfm + plating would be dropping it into play and also equipping it at instant speed and also beating negate/only being open to being countered once rather than twice

idk if that would make it worth it, but it'd definitely be much better

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I suspect that if kolaghan's command had been around as a clean maindeckable 1:1 answer to both stoneforge and the batterskull maybe sfm wouldn't have been banned, but it won't let sfm be unbanned just by existing so :rip:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

The drain breaks stalemates, and it can usually attack into Goyf and Tasigur. And dodging Lili removal is useful. Basically, you can cast it, remove it, and wait until you have untapped lands to provide back-up before it comes back into the fray.

Seems like Sigarda does all of this, except instead of the drain breaking stalemates it's flying over the gummed up ground and not dying to a terminate

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
somebody please go grab https://www.iscolorlessacolor.com and make the page text just NO in 152pt font

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Markovnikov posted:

How much are those 90 fakebux worth? If they are actually worth 40k as someone on reddit says, there is no way they are recouping their investment, even if they hoard all the Seances ever printed and burn half of them. Of coruse assuming this is not a huge scam/a crazy person taking MTGfinance to the utmos end.

Do you want the bullshit speculator answer or the actual answer on bitcoin value, because the actual answer is 'actually zero' as there's no reliable way to turn your bitcoins into goods, services or real currency

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

bhsman posted:

Modern Burn with Price of Progress :tem:

I suppose that would be one way to finally cement Burn as the unquestionably best deck in Modern

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Static Equilibrium posted:

This would make modern Tron a pretty sweet deck to play.

Tron would play zero of these and be wrecked pretty bad by any deck that had a playset of that on top of some ghost quarters

e: even though i play tron i'd still be pro wastes land

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Static Equilibrium posted:

I've seen a lot of tron lists with 2x Ghost Quarter and I had assumed this would be a straight upgrade. I don't play tron though so I'll take your word I'm mistaken, I just like the idea of a modern deck which gets to run a ton of almost-wastelands and follow it up with Karn.

Ghost Quarter's there to beat Sowing Salts/the new identical one for 3R by blowing up the target and a way to fetch your basic Forest in response to a Blood Moon as much as it is for actual land destruction (which is mostly for manlands anyway)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Bugsy posted:

Killing inkmoths as well.

just edited that in within like fifteen seconds :argh:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Spellskite is also very amazing in the mirror and that's yet another reason to play some number in the main

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

And Ingest is actually 100% worthless without Process. (I guess it undoes sorcery-speed scries?)

Beats an infinite life combo with an old-eldrazi reshuffler in the deck over the very long term :tem:

it's still 100% worthless

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

lmao team usa already eliminated from the world cup.

this was sufficiently believable for a real world cup that i forgot this thread was talking about a magic tournament for a moment

england also sucking just reinforced it for several posts

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
It's not as good as a clone since it has to be your creature but being able to cast dig through time twice for 6 mana is almost certainly good enough for standard play by itself

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Niton posted:

I don't think it'd ever be more than a 1-of, probably in the board, but there's no cards anything like it below 10 CMC, and the difference between 12 and 15 mana to search cast is significant enough that I think it warrants testing.

Honestly the real problem is I'm not sure what artifact or enchantment you're exiling that isn't itself wrecking your ability to use Eye of Ugin and/or get to 6G and if its not something ruining your mana the Eye of Ugin + tron + grove/forest you need to fetch/cast World Breaker can also cast Newlamog and exile it anyway

You still need the Nature's Claims in the board for the Stony Silences and Blood Moons of the world anyway, so I don't think it'll have a slot in the end (I think I'd rather just have another copy of Newlamog in the side if I had the space)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Fiend Computer posted:

its so that when some jackass pulls a goyf they don't just peace out and leave your group missing a player.

Rare redrafting actually guarantees that

not redrafting means they just draft it?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

You are burnt out, this standard isn't very strong at all

E: it's seriously telling how low power it is that or two fringe modern playable cards centralize everything around them

Eh, new Jace was a four of in a top 8 deck from the last modern GP, I don't think it's fair to say its fringe modern playable

hell, flip jace is seeing solid play (insofar as any vintage card can be said to be seeing solid play) in mentor control in vintage

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 15, 2015

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

Why did Randy Buehler get fired?

we can get to that later i have an update just in on the top fifty in the race for player of the year!!!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Lancelot posted:

Edit: Can I also say this that this standard really confuses me? We have a Vintage-restricted card and a Modern-banned card (Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time) that we can play 4 of each, as well as Vintage-playable finishers (Monastery Mentor) and planeswalkers (baby Jace). How is there not a deck that takes full advantage of these? Is Wet Mardu the best we can do?

Dig or Cruise and jace is in basically every blue deck but it turns out when the average cmc of your deck is 3 rather than 0.5 and you play creature cards monastery mentor is merely good rather than fantastic

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

I've recently realized that the value of the cards in my EDH deck has gotten rather high, and I usually play decks that feature cards that many playgroups don't care for (Land destruction, discard, group hug).

This has me a little concerned. So, I thought I'd ask the thread, what caliber firearm should I purchase to stand my ground and defend my sovereign EDH deck and person?

for anybody who does not already it would behoove you to read the past couple pages of the edh thread to better understand this post

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Seems like a fairly strong card in draft, I hope there are some cool cards showing up it pairs well with

That hits a sufficient array of powerful cards that it is probably playable in standard tbqh

menace is actually pretty relevant as the decks with 4/5s tend to just have one blocker at a time (especially after you cast what you hit with this)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't pile shuffle at all if I already know I have the right number of cards, but will always pile shuffle for that purpose. Since I almost always sideboard or de-sideboard, it means I always pile shuffle :v:

You could just count your sideboard, which takes approximately a twentieth the amount of time that it takes to pile shuffle 60 cards :v:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Not to excuse MODO, but why didn't he just move to combat after dropping titan?

He was too excited about getting to draw as many cards as he wanted

it's lsv, after all

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

stinkles1112 posted:

Is some combination of Den Protector/Ire Shaman/Stratus Dancer/Rattleclaw Mystic/Deathmist Raptor good enough for a Temur Megamorph shell? Seems like it'd be a fun strategy and those just have to be a decent card advantage engine. Is Secret Plans a playable card? What about Obscuring Aether? If either of those are good enough to play, would having both be too much do-nothing?

I'm paralyzed with indecision, help me thread

Oh and this is for moderately competitive FNM

ask yourself how the deck will handle the curve of t1 warden/t2 level up warden/t3 anafenza/t4 rhino or gideon, or the curve of t2 jace/t3 mantis rider/t4 another mantis rider or soulfire+removal spell and then whether the deck can kill eldrazi ramp before ugin or ulamog shows up

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ThePeavstenator posted:

Why is it not just "take a DCI-certified class and test congrats you're now a white-belt judge"

Mentoring seems like it can open up holes to so many problems

as this incident may have illuminated this is because any good magic judges exist despite wotc's best efforts

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

odiv posted:

So what is the likelyhood/upshot of someone like SCG running an unsanctioned event if they can't find a judge for a region?

Is that just a non-starter?

scg actually pays judges for some of their events

like, american dollars :shittypop:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Grimace posted:

My understanding is that the big problem isn't necessarily the programmers they have, its that they have to build it off of an increasingly aging architecture while simultaneously making sure every card works properly AND constantly adding new cards because WOTC's release schedule is pretty aggressive.

There are much more complicated systems maintained much better than mtgo in the marketplace. Steam somehow manages to still update and roll out new features while maintaining compatibility with tens of thousands of entirely separate computer programs. Valve also expends a great deal of effort obtaining quality staff to do so (and those quality staff developed an architecture that is much simpler to maintain because the lovely architecture is an effect of bad staff, rather than itself a cause of mtgo being awful), rather than taking anyone with a pulse and a willingness to accept below-average pay.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

mandatory lesbian posted:

I feel like Nameless Inversion should be good enough for Standard, tho colorless NI is a harder sell

in standard it's silkwrap that can't hit half of a wingmate roc and can't cleanly answer hangarback walker, but doesn't die to half a dromoka's command and is at instant speed

that's probably good enough to see play, even with the stricter mana constraint

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
and i should have specified being instant speed means it hits shambling vents, as that is basically a staple standard creature as well

e: and the flipside is since it doesn't exile it worse against rally, but you want instant speed removal against rally in general so its a bit of a wash

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 28, 2015

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

stinkles1112 posted:

Like, I take your point here, but this is a terrible comparison. It's like Silkwrap insofar as it costs two, and targets creatures.

Two mana removal is a specific slot that decks want and whether this sees play is pretty dependent on how it stacks up to similar cards

Both Silkwrap and this one share the same general niche of 'kills small creatures', so they're more directly comparable than Ultimate Price f.ex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Affinity wants this card I assume. Probably tron too, although I don't know how tight the land slots are.

Tron has exactly one flex land slot and this isn't better than a second Ghost Quarter/Basic Forest or a Llanowar Wastes to enable a black sideboard splash (the normal build of R/G tron only has 20 actual land cards in it: 12 tron pieces, 4 groves, eye of ugin, basic forest, ghost quarter and one flex). If Tron's managed to empty its hand it has either won, lost or has Eye of Ugin and the mana for it on the table for much better card advantage than Sea Gate Wreckage

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 29, 2015

• Locked thread