Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

black potus posted:

mcmagic if you won't stop using ellipses please propose some stakes thank you

I'm nowhere near creative enough. The bet was your idea lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

black potus posted:

run whatever list Chamale comes up with for wild pair through a gp/open/etc. and post a detailed tourney report

lol sold.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Even if they don't unban Stoneforge, I hope they unban something in Modern.

Printing good new cards for modern > Unbanning stuff.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That RG Landfall guy is insanely good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lancelot posted:

Is it? It seems really average to me. How good is Exploration on turn 4?

If i have a bunch of Scyth Leopards and Snapping Glarled's out? Great

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Booklegger posted:

Modern Playable™. Might find a home in Scapeshift as a replacement for and improvement upon Meloku.

Picking up/Playing Extra lands is always going to be abusable. So yes, i agree. IDK if Scapeshift is where it fits though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Balon posted:

Oh haha right. This guys trash.

He's a 4/4 for 4 that lets you explore. That alone passes the Vanilla test..

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

Barry's Land has been a stupid vanity project since its conception just to do because they can, but I'd argue that they found a good reason for it to exist, which is a basic land for EDH.

I'm struggling to think of the deck that wants this.

RG Landfall is already playing Thunderbreak Regent. This fits the deck better in that it does something the turn in comes into play... It's better flood insurance too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

The biggest problem is that Ensnaring Bridge is a card that can't be beat by very many decks at all and combo'd with Blood Moon just causes a very quick soft-lock to the game. I think Bridge going to be banned sooner or later simply because there are so many decks that cannot ever beat it with any cards in their arsenal.

Is Bridge even in any T1 decks? I think it's super far from the Ban Hammer.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

born on a buy you posted:

port is reprintable.

No it's really really not. At least not in standard.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

black potus posted:

MCMAGIC: are you comfortable calling FIVE (5) top 8 decks featuring Painful Truths in the next THREE (3) months, by March 8th, 2016 Anno Domini in ONE HUNDRED PLUS (this gimmick is hard, 100+) person events success in legacy for the purposes of our bet?

Yeah that is reasonable. And the loser plays the deck of the winner's choice in a big legacy event?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They will never print good land destruction in standard again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Yea. I run 2 quarters in tron to protect against sowing salt and poo poo like that. I also have crucible of worlds, so it can be a soft lock against some decks.

You need it for the mirror too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Guess OFS needs to take pictures with cats now.

In other news, this Kozilek is still rad as hell.

Ulamog is better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

lmao team usa already eliminated from the world cup.

That Temur deck they were running was TERRIBLE. Like a bad FNM brew...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

fnm brews are actually the best way to play magic

That may be but it's not the best way to try to win the WMC.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Is there anyone who enjoys listening to Randy Buehler do commentary?

Also, aren't you not allowed to put that Khans sign on top of your deck in Professional REL?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 12, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wow Gerry T didn't make top 8 after 8-0...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Expedition At The Tabernacle At Pendrell Vale.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Nissa and Chandra both seem bad to me...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Abzan is still the best deck...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

Does anybody else think that Sphinx of the Last Word is bullshit? I mean, at least have it die to languish.

It's definitely a great control mirror breaker.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Well Painful Truths is in every Standard and Modern deck but no legacy this weekend :(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

I didn't see it specifically posted, so I want everyone to realize that the 4/5 Demon is NOT in OGW. It's a Shadows over Innistrad preview card.

No. It's a Duel Deck Preview card.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Yes and the duel deck it is in is the one that comes out after Oath, Blessed vs. Cursed which is very clearly the Spring block preview duel deck. The demon will be in SoI.

OK I guess. So you're saying that Geist will be in SOI too?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

See the thing is, I know your a smart guy. You are good at the game. So I'm pretty sure your just trolling at this point. Did you think Avenger of Zendikar was going to be in BFZ because it was the face card of the duel with Oblivion Sower? how about Polukranos and Sun Titan? Where you expecting a Sun Titan reprint???

I feel like people are getting very worked up about this.. I don't really pay attention to the other Duel Decks and I didn't think it would've been crazy if Avenger of Zendikar was reprinted.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

stinkles1112 posted:

I'm crossing my fingers for a reprint on it, or at least something that makes Nissa's dumbass plant tokens relevant

This Nissa isn't even as good as Vastwood Seer which isn't very good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

I feel like Nissa's being kind of underrated here. Her -2 is a pseudo anthem which could be really sweet along with Gideon anthems in a token based strategy, like maybe Atarka red v:shobon:v.

She isn't aggressive at all... and she's terrible on T3. There is no way she's going to get played in aggressive decks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

Right, I'm just spitballing--atarka red is just the most popular token based deck atm--but Bant tokens seems pretty solid with her.

Tokens strategies want a critical mass of anthem effects. With Nissa and Gideon in standard that's 8 playable "anthems" in GW, 12 if you count retreat. I don't think the curve consideration is that important since growing your team is pretty strong at any point in the game especially in a durdly format as the current one.

Bant Tokens might be a home for her. I don't think shes enough to make the deck good though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Re; Sullivan. It's pretty insane that being the best at your job of anyone else doing that job can't get you a good salary...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well his job is to talk 2 days a week for a company that is cutting back its events because they aren't making enough money on them. Good salaries don't usually come from part time work.

That being said I hope he enjoys Activision and that we still see him a few times a year. I always enjoyed him the most.

Yeah but 7k people or so watch those streams. There is no way what he was doing wasn't worth 100k a year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's completely ridiculous. 7k people isn't really anything. 10 times as many people watch hearthstone streams daily. Sports commenters make around that for something that millions of people listen to.

Also 7k people that don't make any revenue from ads or anything on a service they stream for free. Not a good way to make a 6 figure income.

Sports commentators make way more than that...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Sure ignore the rest of his post for that one tiny breadcrumb. 7k stream viewers is, by twitch streaming numbers for other games, not great. They aren't making poo poo off the stream. The stream is just a giant infomercial for the events. if you don't go to the events and spend money they aren't making money.

That is also a bad argument. People who do infomercials/commercials make a lot of money.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

My god you're dense lately. You only make money off commercials/infomercials if it causes people to spend money... The commercial it self is an expense not income. duh?

Yes. Sometimes I tell myself I like it, but really he just sucks me in with his ridiculous trolling.

Read your own posts before you call me dense. We have no idea what SCG's income statement looks like but even if he can't get paid a decent salary from SCG he should definitely be able to work for WOTC since he's pretty widely viewed as the best at what he does. These are large organizations with big ad budgets.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cactrot posted:

I think what was actually happening is that Patrick was a contract employee for Activision who got moved to a permanent salaried position and ended up making more money without needing to work weekends.

This is probably what happened. I agree. But my point is that the chances that he's as good at whatever he's doing at Activision as he is at MTG Coverage is low and it sucks that he can't make a good living doing that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

En Fuego posted:

You know zero information about this. Shut up.

This post really added a ton to the discussion. Thanks for it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Zoness posted:

7k viewers = $100,000

not even own3d tv was offering rates that good and they went bankrupt partly because they paid streamers too much lmao

You don't see the difference between what he was doing and someone who is a self employed streamer?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 15, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

stinkles1112 posted:

How in the whole, entire gently caress is Wild Slash a buck fifty. Shock. Shock is a dollar fifty in this format. That has to be about the perfect encapsulation of the current standard.

This has been A Post by Stinkles thank you for reading

Stoke the Flames actually got up to 5 bucks...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's unfortunate if they are only making 10-20k a year considering how good they are at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FordCQC posted:

They most likely aren't doing it just for the money. Also in Cedric's case, he's also the content manager for all of SCG.com so that's probably more of a livable income.

What they are doing it for isn't the point. They should be able to make a living wage at that job that they are very good at.

• Locked thread