Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So if I cast Cathartic Reunion with a Flameblade Adept out, do I get 2 triggers or 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Hellsau posted:

WotC believes their customers are too stupid to make the connection between cycling and effects that care about discarding, and too arrogant to read reminder text.

The game is complicated. I don't see the harm in it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I was wrong about the new Gideon. It's not great.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sit on my Facebook posted:

Can you go in to some more detail? I suspected that might be the case

It doesn't protect itself very well and the decks you want to play it in don't even really want to tap out on T3 to play it. The +1 isn't as good as it looks especially if you don't have a bunch of other creatures and Gideon isn't conducive to going wide decks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I've playtested a couple of hundred games and the deck that feels the best is this brand newfangled brew that I call "Mardu Vehicles".......

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ShadeofBlue posted:

Personally, I'm shocked.

Actually, serious question: is there any hope of a decent, cycling based control deck? A lot of the cards seem to have potential, but I haven't played standard in a while, so my ability to evaluate stuff is not really well calibrated.

I think there are some cycling cards that are good in control shells like Censor and Cast out but I don't think you want to be playing cards JUST because they cycle. Drake Haven seems unimpressisve.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think the demon is very good at least sideboarded in a cycling control shell

Maybe it'll get enough support come next set, when they print a 5 mana cycling wrath

The thing about the demon is that it's not really a 5 drop. You have to protect or at least have a few cycling cards up to get some value off of it and then you're into gearhulk range.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Well, more when the bans didn't solve the problem and standard is still on fire

I don't know that it's possible to fix standard in one set...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's not and the problems run deeper than bannings can solve but those are currently the only corrective action they have

I think the major problem with standard is going back to the old, longer rotations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Hellsau posted:

There's no sense in banning Copter, Emrakul and fuckin Reflector Mage while letting Better Splinter Twin run around standard.

It's NOT a better Twin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ShaneB posted:

I still will never forget the episode of Top Level podcast, pre-pro tour, where Chapin and Flores spent the entire time talking about Ojutai Exemplars. For 2 reasons: 1) that Constructed Resources couldn't be interesting or useful even NOT talking about brewing and interesting cards and Top Level could with an ultimately unplayable card; and 2) how clearly it was filling air time not talking about what these guys were actually doing with competitive decks off-mic; and 2a) I really wanted Exemplars to be good and made an UW deck built around it that ultimately wasn't very good but when it worked it was fun AF.

So yeah, if you can get paid crafting a somewhat decent looking deck and discussing it, you certainly aren't going to reveal your actual good poo poo you have been crafting and testing.

I stopped listening to them. They waste so much time talking about decks neither of them would ever actually play. Thompson and Majors are slightly more forthcoming.

• Locked thread