Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Hard-countering with zero mana investment is something they just don't do, except Lullmage Mentor which has a different ridiculous condition. Hell, since Lullmage Mentor they've not printed a creature with repeatable counterspelling. Before that were Sensei Hisoka (needs mana), Disruptive Pitmage (has to tap), and Patron Wizard (has to tap, mistake).

And its keyword is menace.

This also costs 10 mana, is mythic, and can't necessarily counter anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

That's a neat Kozilek art.

So looking at Kozilek's cost and the Waste, the Waste is producing a special Kozilek mana. This flies in the face of it being basic, because it's literally just a 6th color at that point.

If it's real, it seems like it's colorless mana except it has to have been produced by a Wastes land.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

I actually dig the Mirrorpool and Kozilek cards, thd Kozilek is cool as gently caress and like hell yes I want a land that does an imitation of Riku.

Bravo.

Kozilek proves it's fake. They don't print colorless counterspells.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

Kozilek proves it's fake. They don't print colorless counterspells.

Oh nooooo my totally serious post has been owned so hard.

You also forgot Mental Misstep which is the most glaring example of colorless counters.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Serperoth posted:

BFZ had design goals? :v:

1. Ruin Magic.
2. See 1.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

sarmhan posted:

Origins also had thopter spy network and other artifact-matters cards, so I'm not sure what the point is. They were both subthemes of the set.

It's almost like Origins was the bridge between an enchantments matter block and a colorless matters block.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Olothreutes posted:

Maybe I'm the only one but I keep looking at all the ♦ symbols and the {D} notation and thinking that wastes gives you the {D}. For your spells. Kozilek needs a double dose of your pimp {D} game or he won't show.

He spells it with 2 {D}s, he says, for a double dose of his pimping.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

jassi007 posted:

GP Pittsburgh capped out today at 2500. The TO is trying to find a way to stuff more seats in the venue. Hope anyone that was going pre-registered.

Well I guess that makes my decision of whether I'm going or not easy. Good, I didn't actually want to play but I know I would have.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Twiddy posted:

You'd think the easier solution would be having one guaranteed money reprint per expansion to help equalize any price disparity that would come from an unbalance in the original cards, but what do I know.

I was talking about this with a few people, including our LGS owner, when the last set came out and it had like 2 good cards. Red and white were sold out and none of the others had sold. They should have one decent reprint (Wurmcoil) and one cool, potentially legacy playable card (Containment Priest, Dualcaster) in each set. That avoids the True-Name issue while still making sure people want to buy them. Last year had Wurmcoil, Containment Priest and basically nothing else. This year has... a potential cube card maybe?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

GeneX posted:

I pretty much only play casually because the magic "community" is a nightmare, so I just proxy everything since no one cares.

I don't know who you're playing with but I've hardly had any trouble with anyone in 20+ years. There's a few level 2 judges who come to our store occasionally who are miserable people to play with but that's about it. Aside from that and a few people whining about my playing a little slower than normal in my first few legacy tournaments (Brainstorm is a hard card to resolve!) it's been fine.

GeneX posted:

It feels pretty great to play vintage without spending money, FYI.

I can tell you that it feels even better to own the cards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

bhsman posted:

As someone who played Amulet Bloom, SSG is a bad ban target because there are other, arguably more swingy combo decks that need it as well as a considerably more 'fair' combo deck in Ad Nauseam. If you want to make Bloom more fair, I think Hive Mind is a good target because it takes the most likely version of the uninteractive win out and forces the deck to win via combat damage and opens up creature removal as a counter to the win condition. You can still get incredibly unlikely turn 1 wins, though.

So there's 1 deck that uses it in a "fair" way and every other deck abuses it horribly. Ban every card in Amulet except I guess Serum Visions because that card is laughably bad.

bhsman posted:

Unironically reprint Force of Will for Modern.

Mostly this.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

bhsman posted:

I mean, having a degenerate combo that doesn't win tournaments seems acceptable; the difference between those and Amulet Bloom is that it consistently does well.

I'd argue that the inconsistency is even worse. Do you know how miserable it is to lose your tournament to someone playing some inconsistent deck like that stupid Griselbrand deck when they just happen to draw the perfect hand to kill you turn 2 on the play and there's nothing you can do to stop it because modern isn't allowed to have actual answers.

At least with Bloom you know you lost to A Good Deck that's at worst moderately consistent. But like, oops turn 2 Griselbrand with Thoughtseize backup is pretty stupid.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

bhsman posted:

Sorry to hear that. :( What were you running? The Affinity deck?

He was playing RG Tron. Don't pity him.

Also that Choke. Sure is an interesting and healthy card.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Molybdenum posted:

I need new sleeves. I've been using kmc perfect fit and hyper matte. Should I try any other brands?

Zoness posted:

stay the course, kmc can do no wrong.

This is correct. Hypermattes are great.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Death Bot posted:

Watching LSV's stream, once guy wants legacy to die so modern gets more scg dates, and its biggest defender is a guy who wants to protect his investment into duals.

Suicidesteve trying to tell them they're both idiots meditate is heartbreaking to watch

They are both idiots. :colbert:

Like I said, I'd happily take $10 duals and power if it meant everyone could play vintage. I don't know anyone who plays these formats who wouldn't.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

bhsman posted:

For anyone interested, Joe uploaded the entire game on Youtube (that will likely get taken down for music copyright at some point).

:allears: This is great.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Gridlocked posted:

About when does the discussion start?

It starts around 4 minutes in.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Zoness posted:

Heard the music at 2:30 but the content vindicated his music choice.

Does Joe's deck play vindicate? He could probably fetch a USEA to cast it right? It would be really useful for getting rid of that top his opponent has I think.

Sea doesn't tap for white mana. He'd have to get a Scrubland. :cmon:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Mangara/Karakas interactions is one of those weird ones, too.

In any other set this ability would exile him as part of the cost. But this is Time Spiral, where tiny quirks in the rules text are entirely intentional and providing edge cases is the reason.

I'm not going to let a little thing like insincerity get in the way of explaining tiny quirks and edge cases.

It also works if you Vial in a Flickerwisp! :science:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rimusutera posted:

Yay? The over all design of it is garbage.

You mean a set where every rare is an easy first pick and the mythics are all unbeatable isn't good for limited?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ramos posted:

suicidesteve just got first place in the Standard Thunderdome. Give him some claps for being champ among goons at the worst format.

Now to sit and wait for that command zone tournament.

It only took 4 finals and 6 top Xs to win one! Please don't look at my deck it's horribly misbuilt. I'm pretty sure all of our decks were. :v:

Now where's my Army of Allah?!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheLawinator posted:

Mine! All mine! Haaahahahaha

I'm still incredibly tilted that I lost to a trash deck full of a bunch of garbage fish.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheLawinator posted:

Vintage is a skill testing format with a near endless decision tree. Or you can put fish men on the table.

And draw all your sideboard cards 2 games in a row.

And draw 8 or 9 Wasteland effects over 2 games.

And steal my Army of Allah! :argh:

Totally not salty btw.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rimusutera posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point I'm just going to buy into Modern. It can't be worse than Standard,

Ahahahahaha. No I think it's pretty safe to call modern the worst format. Standard at least has a lot of interaction, even if it's because the only viable decks are midrange decks. In modern there's just no incentive to interact. If you try to play a non-Twin deck that interacts in any meaningful way you're just going to lose to Tron or Amulet or Burn or someone making a Griselbrand on turn 2, or...

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AgentSythe posted:

edit: Does anyone have any artists they go to if they need alters done? I have a 6-card order I want to get filled somewhere but I can't find anyone taking commissions right now.

Just bring them on Friday. I'll get 'em for you free of charge.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

$7.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ramos posted:

So what's the cause of the spike in this case?

Mizzix.

Bugsy posted:

Cheapest on tcgplayer is double that, and the new median is 45.

Yep. And the foils are $20.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

little munchkin posted:

The storm players weren't just trying to cheat, it gets the cards out of their hands to enable Infernal Tutor.

The guy who played miracles in the top 4 plays at the same shop as me.

Playing a spell into a Chalice with that spell's CMC isn't cheating. The Chalice player is allowed to miss their trigger.

Edit: It used to be something you could get punished for, but that changed a while ago.

JerryLee posted:

As far as I know it's not "cheating" even if it works; it's not as though casting the spell into Chalice is an illegal act. Not going to say it isn't a dick move though.

You're not required to play your opponent's deck for them. That's why the rules were changed. We had this conversation a while ago when Joe Lossett won a match in the top 4 of something or other because his opponent missed his Sulfuric Vortex trigger.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 30, 2015

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Hey which one of you was looking for foil Metalworkers?

Is that an actual misprint? If so it's beautiful.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pussy Snorkel posted:

It's NFC, but if you know me, you know I don't actually care. This thing is a gorgeous one-of-a-kind.

Oh well then it's garbage. :colbert:

jk I actually like that one. Most NFCs I've seen look awful though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pussy Snorkel posted:

So you dislike my legacy deck?

I'm jealous of the Thespian's Stage but you should be ashamed of yourself with those Mox Diamonds. What's the 2RR card beneath the Zenith?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Library trigger on the stack, cast brainstorm

Gotta flip those Delvers, man.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Dredge six times.

Feels good.

Don't forget to put 2 back then take 8 damage!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pussy Snorkel posted:

You don't have to put any back or pay any life if you dredge. :)

Ah, yeah if you went with the 4th edition (I think) text you have to put 2 cards you drew back or pay 4 life each, and since you didn't draw any of the cards in your hand you have to take 8. The oracle text changed it slightly.

You still have to put 2 back for Brainstorm.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Into the Ocean posted:

VSL poo poo: shops playing no spheres? Winning on Trisk and Hangerback

Yeah he's also playing Metalworker. It's bad.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Four Score posted:

also why dies BW run Tidehollow Sculler when Brain Maggot is less aggressively costed in a format with less enchantment hate than artifact hate?

e: I'm dumb and tired, one is a bear and one isn't :downs:

Also one uses O-Ring templating and one uses Banishing Light templating.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Frozen_flame posted:

Chandra, gently caress You (3RR)

+1: Draw a card, then discard a card at random.

−4: Tibalt, the Fiend-Blooded Chandra, gently caress You deals damage equal to the number of cards in target player's hand to that player.

−6: Gain control of all creatures until end of turn.
[1]

FTFY

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

little munchkin posted:

probably not. the forums are a place for sincerely defending rapists and not a place for jokes

This is presumably a joke but uh, did you see some of the posts last time?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

jassi007 posted:

I have been to Adventurer's Guild. A good friend of mine Sean lives out that way. I went out not long after i got back into Magic for the Theros pre-release. I played in FNM that night, fun story. I won it, playing Naya humans. Their meta was very control heavy and a aggro deck that could poo poo out uncountable dudes did quite well. I understand Adventurer's Guild moved to a new location in the same plaza?

I also make it out to Tales now and then, another friend lives between Allentown and Philly so Tales is a short hop from his place.

Nobody ever comes to Pittsburgh. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

I will continue going there for large X wang tournaments for as long as Roy keeps hosting them. Love that guy. MNGG has a great inventory of board games too. :3:

Ron. And agreed. I tried X-Wing a while ago but eh, it's just not my thing. Geometry was the only math I was never very good at.

jassi007 posted:

I do. Well, I don't travel a lot in general, but I've been to Mr. Nice Guys, and New Dimensions in Pittsburgh Mills. One of my friends in Altoona has a college buddy Jon that manages ND in Mills Mall. I'm married and have 2 small kids so my wife tolerates about 3-6 weekends away a year. Playing cards and traveling for a Saturday or a weekend is a big deal at this time in our lives.

Yeah Jon is a good guy even if NDC kinda sucks for Magic. It's definitely a comic store that happens to have some gaming stuff. I'm in the same boat as you with family stuff. It's been several months since I got out to play vintage and I don't think I've played legacy outside of FNM since like July. I think we might have talked about this a while ago but I was up in Altoona at this place called Snake Eyes, I think, for a GPT for Jersey. It was a pretty nice place even if none of the regulars had real legacy decks. Every now and then we make the trip up there to go to Friendly's too.

• Locked thread