Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
This is probably a function of compressing sets 2 & 3 into one set. Sure, this is definitely "big fall set" worthy, but they're completely redesigning what mechanics fit in the set paradigm now that it's being restructured. To me this seems like something that would have been splashy in the "Big 3rd Set" similar to Rise of the Eldrazi, but they spent so much time working on it, they shoved it into the small set.

Plus the draft set being OGW/OGW/BFZ lends credibility.

But yeah, it's weird. And I think "weird" is exactly how they're trying to make the Eldrazi feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Kalli posted:

Seems like a bit of a flavor miss considering its best use in limited will probably be making Ally decks go off, but other then that, seems pretty cool.

It's pretty good at making opponents creatures unable to block your dudes, attack and kills scion/tokens.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

mandatory lesbian posted:

Well, technically they can still block but it does make killing dudes in combat harder

They return to the battlefield tapped.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Ramos posted:

I wonder if this started with Hasbro or Wizards. Were there any seat changes for Hasbro recently?

At my employment we've been victim to some internet legal issues lately, and our lawyers have been going ham with press blurbs/explanations and "this is our new motto". These sudden blasts of "Intellectual Property" keywords and rewriting of policies, etc. remind me very similar to our company's lawyer's responses.

In my opinion, Hasbro got pretty pissed that they were under fire from Chinese manufacturers (pretty much the stereotypical fear of a toy company) and sent some overbearing law team to MTG to tie up loose ends and reevaluate corner cases (Leaks/Proxies/Printings) and establish new policies.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

ManiacMatt posted:

Going to be in Fremont California for work the next few weeks. Looking at possibly hitting up a pre-release event/day this weekend. Anyone have suggestions for where to hit up or what places are good.

Thanks

Unsure of what's in Fremont, but there's really good stores in Berkeley (Eudemonia), and San Jose (Channel loving Fireball).

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Snacksmaniac posted:

Doesn't fit. Will have to be Proxy Trick Jarrett

Email submission to therealtrick420@gmail.com

Awesome. Intellectual Property and Mismanaged PR Puppetry

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Angry Grimace posted:

Except deck registration errors have some actual angle where you can cheat. I think what Gabriel Nassif said is more relevant: "Not sure if it was literally unethical or not [sic], I do believe it is scummy and the ruling is terrible. I've always been on the side of penalties only being here to prevent cheating. In this case, there's a 0% chance of angle or cheating (Borborygmos doesnt even have an activated ability)."

This is pretty much the correct interpretation and I agree with Nassif even though I think Nassif is still a scumbag in his own right.

Although Magic still exists through a stringent system of rules and edge cases, I do believe it's closer on the "Deck Reg Error" than "Scummy".

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Rinkles posted:

What did he do?

Feel free to chalk it up to my saltiness at Pro Magic, but when I went to the PT (Dublin), watching feature match coverage during the later rounds, he was screaming at the TV for his friend's opponent to mulligan down from 6 to 5 and beyond. I mean just screaming out of his lungs at the TV when the actual match was down the hall being played.

It's not Nassif particularly, but it just seemed so unbelievably lovely to me that even at that "professional" level, some players would rather go an entire tournament playing opponents with 4 card hands than actually games of magic. That same player screaming at the TV for an opponent to mulligan also talks about the ethics of poor pithing needle plays.

It just really stuck with me and left a bad taste in my mouth about "serious, professional, magic".

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't know if everyone's been around to remember the Legacy or Commander boom, but those didn't exactly pop like bubbles. Cards for those formats are still crazy expensive. Modern is more volatile because things can be reprinted. Like it'll only take a surprise duel deck reprinting to tank the price of Inquisition of Kozilek. Wizards has also shown they're not shy about banning cards in Modern. The threat of reprints and bannings along with constantly shifting metagames is going to make players jumpy.

Right now though, everyone just wants in on the next big thing. People love the idea that they can shock other people by telling them how pricey a card suddenly is. Hundreds of times during the prerelease I had to hear "Did you see what *insert card here* jumped up to?". It's fun for people, somehow.

This isn't Legacy or Commander where the priciest cards can't be reprinted. WotC has direct control over the price of Modern, but they're not going to just reprint everything expensive all at once, because that's blowing their load when they've got Modern Masters 4 and Modern Masters 5 and 6 (etc.) to sell.

One thing's for sure though: Modern cards are an incredibly risky investment. Reprints can and will happen in the near future, and card prices are going to fluctuate wildly.

It's true, but speculators make their money because Wizards is very slow to react to the market. Their design and development cycles for even surprise things like Duel Decks/ Modern Event Decks are 6 mo processes at best. Hence why Serum Visions wasn't really reprinted in MM15 (Besides the "Scry not a Mechanic"). They can only do so much in reaction to the recent MTG Finance market, it's unlike anything they've seen at a continuous occurance.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
It's so loving sad, I don't know how people can continue to watch it.

I think it's one thing when Jeff Hoogland stops to change his baby's diaper or streams while his toddler is napping, but it just seems so outlandish that his Wife lets him just "watch the kid" while streaming MTGO all day.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

mcmagic posted:

People who don't want to be embarrassed by their hobby.

So... how many of your facebook friends tagged you on the crackgate article?

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Angry Grimace posted:

It makes me sad knowing how much better my mono-black Eldrazi deck would be if Inverter of Truth wasn't garbage that instantly kills you when it eats a Murderous Cut

That's why it's the Inverter of Truth.

Instead of "Creature Dies to Removal", we get "You die to Removal."

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

mcmagic posted:

No. Eye won't be banned. Temple will.

Eye will totally be banned.

Tron can replace with Sanctum of Ugin and be just fine. Sorry Eldrazi is getting part of your favorite deck banned, but it is totally getting the axe in April.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

mcmagic posted:

Thats what people said right after Twin was banned and it wasn't true then or now. Tron is still good but it's not oppressive and it doesn't need to be nurffed with a ban.

I'm playing the Eldrazi deck till it gets banned because "LOL broken" but there is a reason eye was 5 bucks before this deck was a thing. It's not broken in tron.

Your colorless tears are delicious.

No one cares about the impact of banning Eye on Tron.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Count Bleck posted:

Ah yes the standard janky red mythic that doesn't really feel mythic.

I'd be more impressed if it had Red Keyword Haste.

Yeah it's a bit surprising it doesn't have Haste or First Strike. Letting it be able to be a 5 drop or a 7 drop kicker-esque card seems good. I suppose a Houndermaw Hellkite would have been too good.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

mcmagic posted:

Who knows how good that is in modern but it's the first thing that came to mind for me as well. The bar for a modern playable walker is VERY high.

Being sincere and curious, if it 2RG instead of RW, would it be Tron Playable for filtering, removal & sneaking out an Emrakul or Beastie?

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
All Arlinn really needed was the line of text that says she can be your commander, although I guess both sides have way too much malarkey to have that happen.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Entropic posted:

The number crunch on the currently revealed lands already rules out enemy fetches, m10 check-lands and ISD enemy check-lands. If there's a rare dual cycle it's gonna be a new one.

I predict Enemy Tango or Enemy Scarslands.

ISD was about Enemy Lands finishing a cycle (checklands) and that's more than enough homerific proof for me to make an unbiased claim!

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
I think it's more of a question of:

Why it's

Each creature you control that's a Wolf or Werewolf gets +1/+1 and has trample

Vs.

Wolf and Werewolf creatures you control get +1/+1 and have trample

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Rinkles posted:

For prerelease, most of you use check cards or sleeve up DFCs?

Depends on the deck, if it's just one or two and my deck is value, using dark sleeves should be fine (and it's Pre-release so who cares).

If it's a crappy Aggro deck, I'll use check cards and not sleeves. If I'm playing a very transform heavy deck (werewolf or otherwise), I'd probably make sure I have dark enough sleeves or get checklist cards.

The awkward thing is that since Checklist cards probably won't be hyper available (like last time for Innistrad sealed) you'll have to either beg other players for theirs or hope it isn't obvious through your sleeves.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
The sword cycle is hilarious for limited.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

Toshimo posted:

Why doesn't it have a booster pack? 0/10

The idiot didn't weigh it first

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
I find it really hilarious in Kaladesh design that they couldn't just spell out "Eight [E]" or "[E]X8" it seems super clunky that they have to use individual characters in the text box, which becomes annoying past 3 or 4 to try and figure out without squinting and counting, backing up and recounting to determine how much energy you get.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
My pre-release sealed league opponent round 1 played against me:

-Aetherstorm Roc
-Dovin Baan
-Nissa
-Rashmi
-Cataclysmic Gearhulk
-Dovin Baan (Foil)

It was not a fun match. G1 I tried to play super defensive and gum up the board so he died to having drawn his entire library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Wow this magic story:

quote:

Liliana leads the way, and the rest join her, and soon we're all standing inside, looking out at the blur of sand and dust creating a constant sound like a thousand mothers shushing their children at some kind of weird place where there'd be a thousand mothers and their children gathered, only the thousand mothers is just tens of thousands of grains of sand washing over our little dome in this crazy storm.

• Locked thread