Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Speaking of: I'm considering doing a sealed daily, having never done a daily before, is it worth a go instead of queues? I'm not clear what QPs are for.
Edit: Found it, probably too late in the month for the points to matter, but prizes seem okay compared to a queue.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Regarding the story-lines, is Ravnica the only plane with an ongoing that doesn't directly concern a planeswalker or a multiversal threat (Eldrazi, New Phyrexia)? UR recently picked up the Teysa and Tajic plotline from Dragon's Maze, and I wondered if that indicated another return to Ravnica. Possibly I've missed stuff concerning pre-Innistrad settings.

Edit: I guess I mean more "hanging plot threads".

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 26, 2015

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Wow, found out my spare Bloodstained Mires are worth $20 last night, I'm sure they weren't more than $6 when I got them! I'm not convinced fetches will ever be worth so much post-rotation, I don't think modern demand later will outstrip the demand now where we have modern and a standard where 12 fetches in a deck is the norm.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Also kmc hyper mattes, the superior sleeve choice, for $6.

I've used and liked KMCs, but I recently tried Ultimate Guard and I'm really like them so far, very easy shuffle and a good fit. Not tried double sleeveing yet though.

They make really good deck boxes though, "Deck n Tray" looks cool, is really solid and saves me digging through the bottom of my bag for dice.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I played standard on Thursday, about 8-10 plays and seriously at least 4 were playing flavours of Aristocrats. It's tier 1.5 at best now but come rotation and people might not be maindecking something that wrecks it maybe it will be a stronger deck. Innistrad is a setting that could conceivably provide sac outlets, with Falkenrath Aristocrat reprint being the best case scenario.

Anyway, playing then also reminded me to make something I think might be useful:

Doesn't quite look right, but fit for purpose.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I really dig Sorin as a character, but a good part of that is his BW identity from the Innistrad story, and I'd quite like him to stay the BW walker. At the same time he's the only candidate to represent black on a goodguy superteam. Maybe they'll just keep the team at four, since it's already the permanent representatives of each colour besides black, and Liliana is as good a representative as Sorin there.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Death Bot posted:

I'm honestly not sure white fits into the personality of Sorin, Vampire Pragmatist

I think it works both for Sorin and for vampires in general. They believe in structures, albeit ones with them at the top. And on Innistrad Sorin aimed to create a balance between Black and White, creating Avacyn and her church to empower humans to save them from extinction, whilst not to the point vampires were at risk of being wiped out in return. Plus mechanically there's lifelink which is an ideal vampire mechanic and common to both colors. BW actually seems to be the vampire colour pair rather than the BR the tribe occupied in Innistrad, so I'm interested to see what they are doing in Shadows. I thought it was interesting that BW Sorin, Lord of Innistrad made vampire tokens, suggesting other vampires support him (although the ones he makes on Tarkir appear to be in his thrall) against the vampire establishment.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Isn't there a "where's Sorin?" Subplot now? Like the Superfriends would call on him if they could. That and Nahiri's whereabouts might be covered in Shadows.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Looks pretty legit, I think it's just "The" under the reflection, not much space. 2/3 Deathtouch for 2 seems good on it's own, but it's going to be a lot of work to get the second ability online. I'm just getting spoilt for BW commanders just now.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

Also one uses O-Ring templating and one uses Banishing Light templating.

You'd have to sacrifice the Sculler before seeing the opponent's hand to take advantage of that wouldn't you? Not saying it wouldn't be worth it, but there will be times you wished you kept the bear I think.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Yeah, there's a lot of mechanics I and I think a lot of people would like back. I forgot about Miracles , I wouldn't want something as OP as Bonfire, but it would be cool if a cycle includes a Black miracle this time, which could reflect things going to poo poo again.

DFCs and Flashback are probably the most likely, but Morbid and Undying were strong mechanically and flavorful too. Curses is only a type so it doesn't have to occupy too much space if they want to use that, maybe have a limited archetype for it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

C-Euro posted:

If it's going to be another graveyard themed set then I'm still waiting for my Threshold revival :colbert:

I would think it has the same problem as Delve when they looked at it in innistrad, interacts badly with Flashback, which is more likely to return.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Madness is never going to be in standard again, it's the only mechanic they literally can't print reminder text for.

Why's that? I 've not used it before, but it sounds cool. Good excuse for a Pack Rat reprint!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

A lot of bellyaching on Reddit about the mythic rarity level, all asserting what it "should" be and how it's awful powerful cards get printed there. Or weak cards.

It got me thinking about the chances of getting a given Mythic in a pack. In a large set I figure it's a 1/8 to get a mythic at all and then 1/15 for a given mythic, so 1/120.

For the chance of a given rare, firstly it's 7/8 of not getting a mythic, then 1/52 or 7/371 of a given rare, giving 7/2968 or 1/424.

I must have a made a mistake, right? What have I missed, or are you actually more likely to open Gideon than Prism Array?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Is no-banlist Affinity better than no-banlist Jeskai Ascendancy? Doing No Holds Barred Modern in a few weeks and forgot about the couple of weeks I had to deal with that deck.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Made top 4 of a limited GPT today, UW awaken with Noran Dar and BW life gain allies with a red splash for Zada in draft. I got to live the dream of casting Tandem Tactics targetting only Zada with Bloodbond Vampire out. A Plated Crusher was blocking her at the time.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I don't think they'd do enemy battlelands/oathlands, it would be insane to get all colours off any fetch. Plus Innistrad already has enemy lands associated with it. The enemy check lands with the battle lands could lead to interesting interplay and make land challenging again.

^^ hadn't occurred to me that manlands become a 10-pair cycle with Oath, that could be a good call.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Valakut Predator can attack as a 10/10 with them out.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

So anyone qualified for the Pro Tour want to make mad BitCoins by playing Séance?

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/3w1mfz/im_hiring_a_magic_the_gathering_pro_tour/

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Now I shall finally get to emulate Seto Kaiba, my hero.

What's the story there, he a pro from back in the day?

*Google*

Oh I get it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Why isn't it possible to buy Expeditions on MTGO? Mtgowikiprice.com shows buyers but no sellers for the one's I've looked at. They seem to be buying Zen fetches for less than the original versions.

Edit: nm, MTGGoldfish lists them.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Might be nothing, but one dude mentioned Leylines on Zendikar. Might just be fluff.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Wastes needs to be drafted, you can't just grab as many as you need. Had wondered if they would provide them for land tables. Two versions so they are twice as common as a normal common.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Do split cards count as having two CMCs for Kozilek's ability?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Frozen_flame posted:

Are England still in/able to make Day 2? If so how much is Rich Hagon gloating right now.

Six points at the end of round six, I'm not sure what the cut off is but I'm assuming no. Not sure any of them are English either.

Edit: The most interesting colorless mana cost cards will be the one(s) that cost D. Where does D come from anyway, Devoid?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Dec 11, 2015

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Ancient Tomb in the expeditions? Whaaa

EDIT: and Forbidden Orchard. So I guess there may be 10 one-of cool lands as expeditions?

I can dig it, beats a distant third most appealing cycle. Unless there's 5 one-ofs and a cycle, since I doubt they will all generate all colours or colourless. Although they can probably get a fair way with EDH staples like Reliquary Tower. I don't know how stuff like City of Brass or Karakas could be made to work on Zendikar, but maybe Mana Confluence, depending on how diverse they want them to be?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Man if they reprint Unburial Rites it's going to be BW all the way again for me.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Don't know about Kalitas, his persistent effect seems really good, but only against certain decks. I suppose with lifelink he can pressure a chump block to get a token and enable the activated ability, but the two best decks right now either have Jack and only a handful of other creatures, or Gideon who makes tokens all day.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Is anyone concerned about Sphinx of the Last Word? 7 mana seems very achievable now, I feel like blue will get it too good for too long, and also priced out of FNM.

I hope there's a good Mardu deck that can Doom it at least.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I meant to say it's already priced out. I think maybe it's time you guys had your nap.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, but isn't Rest in Peace also a replacement effect? If two replacement effects affect an object, my understanding is that the the object's controller determine the order that replacement effect apply. Wouldn't that mean since Kalitas only affects your opponent's creatures (objects), they could simply apply the Rest in Peace effect to resolve first and not give you a zombie?

I think it's like the trick with Obzedat and Whip, because the effects aren't mutually exclusive they both happen? Or maybe it's a priority thing, in which case I guess it's down to who's turn it is.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Why haven't there been 2 pages of posts about a possible Inquisition of Kozilek reprint yet? Disappointed in you guys.

Why would there be? It's thematically Eldrazi but not devoid, they can't include it. It's why we got a pale imitation with cool art in Battle, I think.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Playing Modern Aristocrats is great except I'm testing online and I have to target Blood Artist triggers every time. I know strictly I can target myself with it, but shouldn't it at least default to target the opponent? I'm sure other spells and effects like that do it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Well she can put counters on them with her -2. Eeeeeeeh...

Intangible Virtue reprint in Shadows? Sacrifice strategy?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah I can only see Jace becoming better once SOI comes out unless they do something dumb and make the set not graveyard focused

I don't know, as mentioned fetches are great for flipping him early, and that certainly an advantage for him. His -2 might be of diminished value if SoI has Flashback (but obviously still of value as Snapcaster showed) Plus if it's taking until t5-6 to load the yard to the point of flipping him, that might be time you can't use flashback cards already in there, as well as time he could eat removal.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'm thinking of going from Modern BW to Mardu on MTGO and see Kolaghan's command is 17 tickets and rising. Is it realistic to think it will drop, or is it good enough in eternal formats I should just go for it? Rightly or wrongly people are talking about a Stoneforge Mystic unban, which would probably send it up and might be driving speculation now.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Sickening posted:

Buying 6 copies of kolaghans command from the bulk bin was one of my better purchases.

Happily I got physical copies without issue shortly after Dragons.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Nothing on this card feels like it goes with anything else on the card, but somehow it's still pretty cool.

I'm thinking Crackling Doom is good with this, or Kolaghan's Command. The option to return a creature from the yard to hand seems like there could be a lot of value in a graveyard/recursion strategy. I'm liking the prospective Mardu control deck I'm envisioning.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

C-Euro posted:

No I mean nothing on the card really matches with anything else on the card. Like, it's a large Goblin with Menace that also acts like a sometimes-better Snapcaster but only on your turn? Also the goblins don't have eyes?

I meant to cut the quote out, I'm not really challenging you on what you said. But I think both version's art does a good job of making you see these scary, subterranean goblins, recovering useful stuff from the depths, but it doesn't match the Zendikar goblins we've seen (who I think all have plated ridges on their heads? Or are those helmets?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

suicidesteve posted:

I thought they changed it so it's only the first few weeks after each set is released. I vaguely remember Gerry T talking about it.

That sounds much more fair. Not even completely sure there's much advantage, given how often future league seems to completely misjudge things.

• Locked thread