Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

November 2019: The game is going to be receiving support again, so I'm going to overhaul the OP. For now, I'm just cleaning some of the outdated chaff.

So, Payday 2

Payday 2 Goons Steam group
Payday 2 Skill calculator

As a warning, the vast majority of the playerbase plays the PC version of the game. The 360/PS3 versions were never really updated past their release state, and I can only assume the Bone/PS4 versions don't have much of a playerbase.

Payday 2 is about murdering law enforcement officers in one of the best co-op shooters on the market. Also about unhealthy amounts of gun love. Think about it as Left 4 Dead, Killing Floor, and Michael Mann's Heat put together, with some RPG elements.

the allegory of the pubstove illustrated by allen wren
https://twitter.com/fmanjoo/status/781334861374066688/photo/1
He even made an awesome smilie to go with it! :pubstove:
AND HOLY poo poo IT'S IN THE GAME

Yes, pubbies in this game are terrible you should play with goons. Join us on the PD2 Discord. If you have to play with pubs, then host. Otherwise the little Shitlers will kick you before the heist ends or screech at you to stealth a loud-only mission. There was even one guy who's now infamous for actually getting his rocks off on insulting pubbies so that gives you an idea of the community the next time you say you're nervous about asking a Goon (who will show you how the game works and help you out) to play.

Hanging out in the steam group chat and joining the Discord server is the best way to organize a goon group. Some people are pretty jaded on playing this game after two years but whenever DLC gets released or sales happen, there will be an influx of new players that you can catch a ride with. You can ask anyone to play and they'll usually up for a game and especially for showing a newbie around

What’s new with Payday 2 since I stopped playing a long-rear end time ago?

As of late 2019, Overkill plans to return to updating the Payday 2. Even then, after the microtransaction bungle, Overkill pledged to focus on fixing parts of the games and after enough out-roar, refocused their efforts and began overhauling the gameplay and content.

If you've been out of the game since say release day, the biggest gameplay changes have been the skill revamps, weapon rebalances, and perk decks. To sum each one up:

-The skill trees now look completely different and have tons of new skills that reward new types of playstyles. Lots of useless skills were axed and each tree has some really unique and useful stuff. Skills also don't cost money, and you can make multiple profiles.

-The weapon rebalance buffed and nerfed weapons around breakpoints. This means that almost no weapon is bad stats-wise, so when you open up that game for the first time and see a trillion new guns, you don't need to panic because odds are you'll pick a useful one.

-The perk decks were a twofold design of getting rid of the old tier bonuses and as a way of boosting skill sets to do more interesting things. Make sure you take a look in the perk deck section of the inventory ASAP as they're leveled up by you putting points into them manually. Several have been updated vis-a-vis usefulness, and there's a quick guide on them in the second OP.

Other Major Updates

-Safe House Customization. After being halfheartedly promised on release, Overkill finally implemented a customizable new safe house like 3 years later.

-New Difficulties: Mayhem and One Down. Mayhem fits right between Overkill and Death Wish where you'll face Gen Sec elites and Skulldozers, and the enemies are a bit more hearty. One Down is a nightmare mode that lets you only go down once before going into custody, and enemies are ridiculously accurate, hearty, and powerful.

Besides that there's been a mess of content (weapons, masks, characters, etc.), both free and paid. We used to have DLC Buying Guides galore, but Overkill has made it easier and more affordable to just get as many of them as possible. There's also now a proper tutorial in the game now for both loud and stealth for a refresher or new players.

:siren: Multiple free guns, mods, and masks are yours if you join the Official Payday 2 Steam group :siren:

Otherwise, there aren't any objectively bad DLC packs at this point. If you want a weapon, mask, or character, just grab it on sale or something. Worth reiterating that you do not need to own DLC to use paid DLC heists. Owning heist DLC just makes you able to host that heist. You can join on anyone who owns it if you yourself don't own it.

From Captain Swing

This music is really good! Where can I get it?
It's by a guy named Simon Viklund, who did a really nice job (with 1 track by somewhat-famous techno artist Alesso and a few by Le Castle Vania). If you buy the soundtracks on steam they will be in your Payday 2 folder somewhere.
Also: http://overkillsoundtracks.bandcamp.com/

From Captain Swing

Fellis might be dead, or was my Durden-like parachute account. I don't know.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Game Mechanics and FAQ :words:

M.O.? Is that they're good... Once it escalated into a murder one beef for all of 'em after they killed the first two guards, they didn't hesitate. Teabag guard number three because... what difference does it make?
From Captain Swing

So I Read All That Crap, and I Launched the Game. Now What?

First of all, after a few heists look at the "Perk Deck" tab in the inventory menu. Perk Decks are pre-made decks of general and specific perks built around things like melee, armor, health, dodge chance, etc. Most people will recommend that you equip the Armorer, Muscle, or Crew Chief deck and stick with that until you have it maxed out. By the time you have finished one of those decks, you will probably know enough about the game mechanics to figure out what deck you want to pick next, but any of those are a solid first pick. Make sure you stick with the maxed-out one while just putting points into others because there are things like XP and damage bonuses in the perk decks now.

Here's a quick, unfinished guide to Perk Decks that I made. I'm no expert, so if you can fill in any gaps, please let me know!

There are only a few skills that I recommend all beginners pick, and those are Transporter (throw and carry bags faster), Duck and Cover (Sprint for longer), and Parkour (move faster). These are the most basic QoL of skills. The new trees are intuitive and useful enough that you're hard-pressed to find many useless skills as long as you use your brain a bit. As long as you focus at least a little on survivability, it's hard to screw up your choices.

Just post your builds in the thread and try things out. Enforcer shotgun/armor builds are generally regarded to be the best builds for newbies.

Weapon information
If you didn't join the Steam Payday 2 group like I mentioned above, go and join the Payday 2 Steam group. You get free stuff that'll help you out. Once you do that, you can use a lot of different weapons now for different purposes since the rebalance is done. For Overkill and below, you really can't pick a bad weapon.

The weapon mods system sucks if you're playing 100% vanilla. The Gage Courier and AK/CAR Pack DLCs fixed a chunk of this, but only for things like sights, lasers, and specific weapons. The random drop system is unarguably dumb game-o-fication stuff. There are daily/weekly challenges that you can find in safe house> challenges that will let you pick a general mod for completing the challenge. You can now use Continental Coins to buy parts you want, but they're pretty expensive and use the same coins that you use to pay for safe house upgrades. There's also Goon Mod (look below) that adds a "Gage Coin" system that lets you buy weapons for cheaper than Continental Coin prices, and has Overkill's approval. Failing that, a lot of people cheated in mods and pretty much nobody will look down on you for doing it, but don't discuss it in the thread, don't play with Goons while cheats are on, and don't ask me how to get the cheats. We've had those conversations before and it gets ugly.

Are there any cool mods/tweaks for the game?

Many cool mods can be found here on Last Bullet or http://paydaymods.com/. The latter provides you with the mod injector called BLT that's very easy to use and one of the slickest in-game mod UIs I've ever seen. Be aware that mods frequently break after large patches, but are usually fixed within a day or two with auto-updates.

For those who remember Goon Mod, Wilko was hired by Overkill! And then he left the team! Wilko is back at Overkill! Since he originally got hired, a huge number of Goon Mod features are now in the game including mutators, money that can be used to buy customization equipment, and lots of others.

gif from Sykic

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 26, 2019

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Gif + Image collection

Showcase:

Loco Supremacy
Chains keeping up his civilan undercover identity so the Feds don't find him
Note: Bulldozer died on the way back to his home planet
Team Bulldozer's blasting off again!!
Always call your shots
Not Today :black101:
Game, what are you doing. Go home, you're drunk.
Knife Party Shield Shuffle
Heptakill!
Oh what a feeling, dozers dancing on the ceiling
Dr. Cheeto is a big fan of loot bags
Not Today :science:
Sneak peak of That 70's Heist DLC: Dallas, Chains

link to old thread if you are a crazy person: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647096

Fellis fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 18, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The Payday 2 experience.

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 18, 2015

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

petition to make this thread a Safe zone

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
DnD is bad

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
shoot cops steal cash

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
To make sure it's on the first page for easy access, because somehow it got lost from the OP:

by Zackarotto

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 18, 2015

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Can someone send me a group invite to my new steam? My username is "What???"

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Link your profile if you want someone to invite you to poo poo:
http://steamcommunity.com/search/?text=What%3F%3F%3F&x=0&y=0#filter=users&text=What%3F%3F%3F

quote:

Showing 1 - 20 of 322,193

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I still like shooting and/or sneaking for crimes.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I inject the Deathwish directly into my veins.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 27, 2019

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Could I get an invite too, please?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/oskarvonwakamoto

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Guys, guys. What if Chains were in a pickle, right now?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Greetings.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Psion posted:

The Payday 2 experience.

is this a mod i can download?

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
Shoot the dinner plates. Marinara goes flying right into my mouth.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Basticle posted:

is this a mod i can download?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/scx4gws5khw32ag/BrokeDickDrill.zip

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
This game still stinks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hello new thread i promise that i will treat you with respecahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

couldn't manage that one with a straight face

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Deathwish also isn't as hard as it once was. Player (read: goon) skill has increased, as well as each player having more tools to deal with bad situations, it's never been a better time to start grinding those DW cheevos!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Don't Act Dumb

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Someone please buy my ugly Completely Overkill skin and so that I can completely forget about this game :argh:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Xtanstic posted:

Someone please buy my ugly Completely Overkill skin and so that I can completely forget about this game :argh:

What've you got?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

What've you got?

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/218620/JP36%20RIFLE%20%7C%20The%20Torch%2C%20Broken-In%2C%20Stat%20Boost

When I opened my safe, mine was only the 3rd on the market and it was above 20$ but everyone has been slowly undercutting everyone. If I somehow manage to sell it for more than 5 bucks I'll be damned surprised.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Xtanstic posted:

everyone has been slowly undercutting everyone.

Welcome to like every Steam market thing ever. I'm sitting on two stat boost Thanatos skins that aren't loving selling because people keep undercutting in hopes that someone eventually bites.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I lust for hot cop death.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna poo poo up this thread too! Shame on you if you thought otherwise!

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

Welcome to like every Steam market thing ever. I'm sitting on two stat boost Thanatos skins that aren't loving selling because people keep undercutting in hopes that someone eventually bites.

Oh I'm well aware. I just got my hopes up because I saw someone post in the old thread that they managed to get 20$ bucks for theirs. I regret buying the COP so much. I was seduced by shiny blue flame Wolf mask :mad:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I managed to hock a stat boost Tiger Hazard for $5 after getting it for 50 cents during the time when market listings were broken and lumped everything of one skin type together, but that was largely luck. Someone on my friends list sold their mint condition R93 from the COP for a good amount of money though.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

UnknownMercenary posted:

I managed to hock a stat boost Tiger Hazard for $5 after getting it for 50 cents during the time when market listings were broken and lumped everything of one skin type together, but that was largely luck. Someone on my friends list sold their mint condition R93 from the COP for a good amount of money though.

still can't sell mine even though it's the cheapest on the market right now :argh:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
just you wait

somebody will buy my commemore skin

its only like 20 bucks, you can't go wrong with that price!

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Just cause its first page- console version has been updated.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Still my preferred game to kill cops en masse in

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
The new thread title fills me with Determination.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
so are people still mad about safes

also, anyone got a link to the skin unlocker

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Sperglord Firecock posted:

You tell me!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Payday 1 Grindfest Update

(for new folks: payday 1 has ingame challenges that only crazy people would try to accomplish, so I am going for 100% and posting about it, which cheeses off some folks in the thread, a side benefit)

Only 1800 GL40 kills to go! I was able to get 200 in about an hour using a slightly modified strategy that's really paying off. The end (well, the halfway point) is in sight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

also, anyone got a link to the skin unlocker

Microtransactions bad! Hulk smash!