Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Kikas posted:

Yeah, all we get is weekly updates on stuff that's maybe gonna happen in the future.

I mean delaying the assault is a good enough mechanic, but after that it's pretty much useless. I was hoping that the "trade hostages for supplies" mechanic they advertised at launch would give you move then one type of supplies. It's all good mechanics in principle, they're just executed poorly.

Yeah this is what I meant. Its cool that you can do it but when you do it, it becomes apparent that its mostly pointless because the rewards for the effort put in are so minimal

Edit: in hindsight that describes my experience with the game. Fun to try but once i understood the mechanics the rewards were so boring I didn't continue.

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Payday 3

Kikas posted:

It's all good mechanics in principle, they're just executed poorly.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Yeah, it's poo poo like this:
https://twitter.com/PAYDAYGame/status/1767888854965514279/photo/1

Okay, rotating modifiers to spice up the higher difficulties sounds great in principle but... why is it only 3 things lol. And why are they so meaningless. Like, once again, pointing to Helldivers 2, every planet has it's own modifier and they can change how the game is played dramatically, plus a lot of the daily/weekly events giving players new toys in addition to new challenges. They are also thematic, cold planets get different modifiers as opposed to warm ones etc.

Here, night or day, loud or stealth, all the modifiers work the same and can be applied to all heists. What's more, they only add anything to the stealth gameplay, if you want to go loud from the get go, this does nothing to you.

The whole developement of Payday 3 would seem like a misplaced effort but... I can't see the effort. I see things like new maps and weapon models and whatnot that you had to rebuild in Unreal, maybe even from scratch, but... I dunno.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I'm also surprised how much i missed multi-day heists. I didn't think i would but the loss of the prep screen and really any sort of planning beyond "bring ammo" is a shame.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I said it before itt but Helldivers 2 coming out so soon after Payday 3 and absolutely crushing the live service content side of things really shines a light on how poorly they've handled PD3. That's a weak update with more stuff that seems like should've been in the game already to stop people from getting bored and going to play something else with their friends.

The whole operation medic bag thing basically allowed me to stop caring about payday 3 because it's a list of fundamental flaws that need to be fixed to make it feel like an acceptable state for a game like this to launch in. If the studio exists by the time that's all done that's basically just their cue to start pumping out paid dlc to maybe try to make some money from this game that nobody is playing.

Just a real loving bummer what happened to this game and studio.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

they should be fine for money I would think. for all its flaws this game did sell like gangbusters. there’s something fundamentally wrong with their workflows and processes. i actually don’t think pd3 was a badly designed game. I really like the heists that are there. there’s just so much basic poo poo missing and so much jank present and such an enormous delay in fixing anything or adding new content

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

they should be fine for money I would think. for all its flaws this game did sell like gangbusters. there’s something fundamentally wrong with their workflows and processes. i actually don’t think pd3 was a badly designed game. I really like the heists that are there. there’s just so much basic poo poo missing and so much jank present and such an enormous delay in fixing anything or adding new content

Yeah, for me, the biggest problem is just the delay in pushing updates. I don't mind missing or broken poo poo as long as I can fathom the pipeline to fix it.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

With all the online-only server costs and that all the money came from preorders and day 1 purchases since nobody is buying it in 2024, I question if this game did make a profit despite what Starbreeze said. Even Embracer said it fell short of expectations and for how trigger-happy Embracer is for killing studios for far less I'm kind of surprised there's no talk, at least publically, about how Starbreeze should go on the chopping block.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I would also be extremely surprised to hear that Payday 3 actually sold "like gangbusters" considering it was on Gamepass day 1 and the 70k concurrent players on steam vanished after less than a month. Even if it did the excitement for the game has also vanished so I can't imagine they're selling any DLC packs for $10-$15 for a game that has no players.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 13, 2024

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

EorayMel posted:

With all the online-only server costs and that all the money came from preorders and day 1 purchases since nobody is buying it in 2024, I question if this game did make a profit despite what Starbreeze said. Even Embracer said it fell short of expectations and for how trigger-happy Embracer is for killing studios for far less I'm kind of surprised there's no talk, at least publically, about how Starbreeze should go on the chopping block.

I mean they JUST offed the CEO, the head has already been cut off, yet the chicken seems to run around the farm.

ZeusCannon posted:

I'm also surprised how much i missed multi-day heists. I didn't think i would but the loss of the prep screen and really any sort of planning beyond "bring ammo" is a shame.

I've been saying this since before the launch. I miss having my little stories and consequences of playing heists in a specific way, Payday 2 was the strongest with stuff like Watchdogs, Firestarter, Framing Frame and actual whole-rear end Rats. Hell, the last great heist for me is Reservioir Dogs and it would NEVER have such an impact of me if Payday 2 didn't have the multi-day structure. As annoying as 5 day Rats could have been with both escapes, it added some excitement to every time you play, hell, even every restart is different. There were bad variants and good variants, and while failing an easy one felt bad, failing a really lovely one (gently caress you, center of Crossroads) meant going "yeah okay the game wants to kick out teeth in" but it made me feel something.

Heistsing in PD3 is okay, but it is mostly going through the motions every time. I still cannot believe how bland this game feels, I could write a whole-rear end book on How Not To Make Sequels here.

I remember that the excuse with Payday 2 was "yeah well our engine is a real pain in the rear end to work with" but with the move to Unreal, this excuse is gone. And that's why it pisses me off twice as hard.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 13, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's pretty funny seeing the subreddit go through the five stages of grief only now landing on acceptance that the best part of payday 3 was the memes that spawned because of the bad launch.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Kikas posted:

I remember that the excuse with Payday 2 was "yeah well our engine is a real pain in the rear end to work with" but with the move to Unreal, this excuse is gone. And that's why it pisses me off twice as hard.

And the classic racing game engine crashes have been brought back via matchmaking errors, which feels even meaner because at least in payday 2 most of the crashes would just crash to desktop right away. If you crash or get a matchmaking error in payday 3, the error message menu has a button to go back to the main menu or reconnect, but it's grayed out. And the only button you can access is quit game, wasting that much more time :v:

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Operation "Auuuuugggggghhhh, I'm dyyyiiinnnggg I neeeed a Medic Bag!"

I'd love for them to turn things around and be proven wrong, because I'd hate for Payday's legacy to end with a whimper.

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 13, 2024

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Grimthwacker posted:

Operation "Auuuuugggggghhhh, I'm dyyyiiinnnggg I neeeed a Medic Bag!"

I'd love for them to turn things around and be proven wrong, because I'd hate for Payday's legacy to end with a whimper.

I'm still of the opinion that the fact that Payday 2 is still going pretty strong and that it has a very unique aesthetic and style means that the IP is going to get used someway, somehow in the future, and if anything HD2 makes that more likely since it demonstrates that Payday 3's core concepts (cooperative ultraviolent shooter with a kind of political comedy) are very marketable, the specific studio in question just hosed the execution. I really do think we're going to get a Payday 4 at some point, I just think that it involves the existing studio dying completely and the IP getting bought by somebody else. I don't think it'll happen super fast, since 2024 has been very much a year of game downsizing, but this stuff moves in cycles and somebody is going to be smart enough to go "I could make a co-op action game from scratch...or I could try and take advantage of this decade plus old game that consistently has 30kish players after they ended support."

If I had to guess the CEO was fired so they could bring in a breaker: fire everybody, sell IP off, auction off the chairs and such.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Operation "I need a medic bagholder!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Having a normal one

Tulip posted:

I'm still of the opinion that the fact that Payday 2 is still going pretty strong and that it has a very unique aesthetic and style means that the IP is going to get used someway, somehow in the future, and if anything HD2 makes that more likely since it demonstrates that Payday 3's core concepts (cooperative ultraviolent shooter with a kind of political comedy) are very marketable, the specific studio in question just hosed the execution. I really do think we're going to get a Payday 4 at some point, I just think that it involves the existing studio dying completely and the IP getting bought by somebody else. I don't think it'll happen super fast, since 2024 has been very much a year of game downsizing, but this stuff moves in cycles and somebody is going to be smart enough to go "I could make a co-op action game from scratch...or I could try and take advantage of this decade plus old game that consistently has 30kish players after they ended support."

If I had to guess the CEO was fired so they could bring in a breaker: fire everybody, sell IP off, auction off the chairs and such.

Yeah but will it be P4yday, Payd4y or P4yd4y? :v: