Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

oh man, i am tempted to post in that new thread, "Who are the idiots posting positive reviews as of late?" claiming responsibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Payday 1 Grindfest Update

(for new folks: payday 1 has ingame challenges that only crazy people would try to accomplish, so I am going for 100% and posting about it, which cheeses off some folks in the thread, a side benefit)

Only 1800 GL40 kills to go! I was able to get 200 in about an hour using a slightly modified strategy that's really paying off. The end (well, the halfway point) is in sight!

In all seriousness Vox, why do you do this challenge? Is it fun, or an unhealthy desire for 100% completion?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
We should have sneaked this.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

In all seriousness Vox, why do you do this challenge? Is it fun, or an unhealthy desire for 100% completion?

quote:

Vox

quote:

fun

Come on, think about it for like five seconds.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Payday 2 can't be the endgame of the DnD cop thread, some cops survive.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

The latter, mostly. Not having the secret masks after figuring out the big sticking point in the payday 1 ARG several months before everyone else will haunt me forever.

On the bright side, I've learned all sorts of interesting things about the game's design in the process. For instance:

1. In payday 1, enemy pathing decisions are based on a really weird per-unit/per spawngroup aggression system that's not in payday 2. The system isn't in payday 2 because it's prone to the sort of multiplier effects we were briefly seeing with shields around the time of the armored transport release. On lower difficulties you get one or two enemies at a time, until you get a higher-aggression unit that will "lead" a large set of other nearby enemies on the map to rush your position at once. Shields are designed specifically to do this- it seems to have been patched in around the time 145+ (the horrible pain difficulty mode of payday 1) was added. This sounds OK, except that on higher difficulties you only encounter units with high aggression values because the lower enemy tiers aren't around. The result is that almost all enemies are rushing your location at maximum speed and can't be suppressed and won't dodge as much, meaning they're hitting you more.

2. Smoke bombs spawn a lot like they do in payday 2 at specific navpoints. They can only spawn during assaults, and only when an enemy has recently "seen" a player in a particular position. Barring a couple scripted events, only one can exist at a time. Unlike payday 2, a smokebomb or flash grenade doesn't appear to mean that units are about to path to your position, although they do have to be next to it.

3. Instead of suppression, enemies in payday 1 have a similar "dodge" mechanic when you fire near them. It causes them to sidestep or otherwise move within their navpoint, usually in relation to you- they're effectively trying to dodge your reticule, as if they were watching your screen. I hate this setup, because unlike payday 2 they can still be firing at you the whole time. There are separate "throw yourself out of the way" animations, but they seem to be explosive-specific.

4. Enemies surrender based solely on how much health they have left. This makes getting police hostages either simple or impossible, depending on the difficulty and weapons you have.

5. (partially based on looking at script codes provided by the long guide author) The coding of payday 1 makes payday 2 look like a thing of crystalline beauty. In particular, many many enemy and special spawns in payday 1 are handled using one-time script events that are all based on different kinds of triggers and have no coherent naming system. Most of the difficulty-specific labels are incorrect, based on an earlier version of the game. Many of the limiters we're used to in payday 2 (cops completely leaving between assault waves, a finite number of shields at a given time) just plain don't exist. I still need to track down the script (or bug) that can spawn 10 bulldozers at once on Undercover. Generally, the whole thing is held together with a combination of spit, raw numbers difficulty and player immersion- knowing where the exploitable holes are is frustratingly necessary to clear heists on high difficulties.

6. (thanks to other masochists) Destroying cameras doesn't effect enemy pathing or aggression- in a couple of very specific cases it changes the odds of a couple very specific scripted events.

On FWB, destroying the cameras out front removes one of two scripts that call for snipers to spawn on the interior lobby balconies during the escape(the other is set to 45% on overkill and above anyways). Destroying the cameras past the drill gate is supposed to shut down two of the elevator spawn points, but it's implemented incorrectly and doesn't always work because of how other scripts reference it.

On Slaughterhouse, there is a stupid added bulldozer spawn event timer loop that randomly varies the amount of time between spawning single bulldozers. There's a second, similarly dumb added special unit spawn loop that can spawn any kind of special unit, in all sorts of numbers. I think it's what causes them to pop out of those closed doors in the hall leading to the containeryard. Anyways, destroying half the cameras effects the bulldozer loop and destroying all of them effects the general special loop. Because of how they're set up, destroying cameras is very unlikely to have any effect on the actual spawn rate.

No Mercy cameras do nothing. This heist also uses a special spawn loop, I forget the details, but it picks a random special and, IIRC, spawns four of it at once every time. Another reason why this heist is a pita.

Diamond heist cameras...ugh. there are three sets of them. The main set actually has a distinct and significant effect, always delaying the rate at which special units spawn from an event that uses a similar loop to Slaughterhouse(they spawn other ways too). Unfortunately, to have their full effect, you have to destroy the two in a bonus vault that doesn't spawn most of the time- and that is inside the vault, aka after you've cleared 90% of the heist. The grognards (yes, worse than me) think you may be able to take them out by hitting the wall near where the door to the bonus vault would be with a grenade. The cameras in the main vault do nothing, and one camera that's indistinquishable from all of the others apparently is attached to some other scripted spawn- probably that shield that likes to block the exit staircases, but that's an educated guess.

7. The codes are never supposed to work on Diamond Heist on 145+. People saying they work 1% of the time are either lying, mistaken, or...there's a floating point error or something. My guess is the latter. This game is really badly scripted.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 18, 2015

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
http://www.twitch.tv/jamesblack47 Hoo boy it's happening, the meeting with steam forum moderators and Almir.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
can someone please sum up what they're saying

i've got the flu and trying to comprehend anything more than click cops literally makes waves of agony shoot through me

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

BillmasterCozb posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/jamesblack47 Hoo boy it's happening, the meeting with steam forum moderators and Almir.

Is this drama over the microtransactions or did something else happen? I haven't followed this game in months.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is this drama over the microtransactions or did something else happen? I haven't followed this game in months.

It's mostly drama over the fact that the Completely Overkill Pack that people paid 20 bucks for, had a special "secret" and it turned out to just be another weapon skin, with varying degrees of condition and stat boosts.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is this stupid people being entitled or is this a legitimate issue?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is this stupid people being entitled or is this a legitimate issue?

people paid 20bux for four cool masks and a random-rear end chance at a special gun skin that might end up being for a gun you don't use, or a skin that is in a "lower quality" than other versions of the skin.

So pretty much, we paid 20bux to the gun lottery and most of us got complete, utter garbage. Thing is, we paid for the lottery before we even knew what it was, so..we got burnt, and now we want some lotion for the burn.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The Completely Overkill Pack rewards were hilariously bad. I'm of the opinion it's as legitimate as a video game interview could be.

I mean, goddamn, Ashley was a part of the protest that led to this.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

swims posted:

Just cause its first page- console version has been updated.

as a trashdicked console playing moron this makes me happy

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

As someone who got the worst possible Completely Overkill Pack "prize", yeah I am pretty disappointed. More disappointed than angry, but some of both.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Wait, they met on video? on TWITCH of all things? Did anything actually come of that?

or: is anything? I'm at work

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Deviant posted:

Wait, they met on video? on TWITCH of all things? Did anything actually come of that?

It's happening right now dude http://www.twitch.tv/jamesblack47

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i literally can't load that link at the office. give me the short version

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

The questions in the interview basically boil down to 'do you think you'll do [bad PR thing] again? what do you think about [bad PR thing]?', so they naturally get answered with non-content answers like 'yes that's [bad PR thing], we're learning to avoid that'. Or, 'yes we'll discuss that'.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Fleve posted:

The questions in the interview basically boil down to 'do you think you'll do [bad PR thing] again? what do you think about [bad PR thing]?', so they naturally get answered with non-content answers like 'yes that's [bad PR thing], we're learning to avoid that'. Or, 'yes we'll discuss that'.

Someone buy Ashley an SA account so she can vent her rage properly.

She can't be any worse than Naga or jivjov.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Honestly, I thought she was a goon. She's in the group chat more often than most.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Dr Cheeto posted:

Honestly, I thought she was a goon. She's in the group chat more often than most.

I don't think she actually has an account here, but yeah she does hang out in the Steam PD2Goons group.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

So far Almir is repeatedly just saying "we hear you and I agree that we did a stupid thing" or "here's why we did this" but everything he's saying about what might actually change in response to this is extremely non-committal. He's conceding some of their points and defending his position on others but right now nothing very meaningful is being said.

It's not looking like anything big is going to change with the microtransactions or possibly the COP because they've worked themselves into a position where they can't really retroactively remove anything, since people have paid money for this stuff already.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Ashley has an account but she never posts.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Gestalt Intellect posted:

So far Almir is repeatedly just saying "we hear you and I agree that we did a stupid thing" or "here's why we did this" but everything he's saying about what might actually change in response to this is extremely non-committal. He's conceding some of their points and defending his position on others but right now nothing very meaningful is being said.

It's not looking like anything big is going to change with the microtransactions or possibly the COP because they've worked themselves into a position where they can't really retroactively remove anything, since people have paid money for this stuff already.

I don't want them to remove anything I just want them to actually give me something worthwhile for my $20.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Wasn't the Completely Overkill thing an optional "give us more money for support!" on that train poo poo? Not that them promising a neat reward and giving you something lovely is a good thing but playing this game from Day One should have acclimated people to that, right? I haven't had faith in Overkill since the first few months.

e: Also if I'm wrong on the idea if it was optional support money let me know.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Cowman that's on you, really. You knew getting into it what the COP was. They made it very clear up front it was hype fuel first, support Overkill second, get something a distant third. And you already got the masks - so you already did get something.

This is - and I'm speaking generally here - what amuses me about a lot of the COP complaints. People who whine they can't sell their drill rewards for $20 are just great. No concept of what economics means here, I see. If someone wanted to pay $20 for that particular skin they probably would have bought the COP to begin with, at which point they would have gotten hype fuel, Mega Masks, and their own COP Safe/Drill. "why can't I sell a fraction of this DLC for the full price of the DLC" is a question a lot of people are incapable of understanding.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Wasn't the Completely Overkill thing an optional "give us more money for support!" on that train poo poo? Not that them promising a neat reward and giving you something lovely is a good thing but playing this game from Day One should have acclimated people to that, right? I haven't had faith in Overkill since the first few months.

no you're completely right. People are salty about the ~secret~ rewards being lovely and taking so long to come out and that's legit: the reward was lovely and did take forever to come out. On the other hand, there was no reason to expect otherwise, so if you see someone acting entitled because they bought the COP they should be mocked for being stupid.

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 18, 2015

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i click the cops

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Coolguye posted:

i click the cops

did u rebind ur use key? clicking doesnt highlight in stealth mode

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

This is true, but overkill still advertised the COP with that additional unrevealed item, and having that item be RNGed to be worse than what other players got out of the same purchase (which can happen in both appearance and stats) is incredibly lame.

At the same time, the people who complain the loudest are so goddamn terrible that they make me want to disagree with everything they say just out of principle. This just appeared in twitch chat on the interview

quote:

Cornson: I would trust peofiles to take care over my kids more than I trust in almirs word. (and I would never ever led pedophiles take care of my kids)

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The solution they're floating around is to give us more Completely Overkill safes but this time with guaranteed mint condition quality. Can't wait to roll two more Plainsrider bows!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This is true, but overkill still advertised the COP with that additional unrevealed item, and having that item be RNGed to be worse than what other players got out of the same purchase (which can happen in both appearance and stats) is incredibly lame.

yeah if they'd just locked every COP reward skin to epic or mint condition or whatever it'd be fine but Overkill is bad at this. like they had CS:GO as a straight up tested example to copy from and they hosed that up so it's no surprise they hosed this up too

UnknownMercenary posted:

The solution they're floating around is to give us more Completely Overkill safes but this time with guaranteed mint condition quality. Can't wait to roll two more Plainsrider bows!

New way to make the technician tree available. Legolas, a T6 skill. 4 points lets you fire two arrows at once. Acing it gives them homing against any non-special cop head in view.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

UnknownMercenary posted:

That's really the problem isn't it? There are contents that are designed to be more desirable than others.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
desirable: adjective: Getting any skin for any gun that is not a Clarion. Example: "It is desirable to get a skin for a gun you actually use"

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
man i wish i could've bought the COP just so that i could feel indignant like you guys

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

BillmasterCozb posted:

desirable: adjective: Getting any skin for any gun that is not a Clarion. Example: "It is desirable to get a skin for a gun you actually use"
Let me tell you about Yggdrasil. It's only on one side of the gun, and it's not the one you see in the lobby.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

maswastaken posted:

Let me tell you about Yggdrasil. It's only on one side of the gun, and it's not the one you see in the lobby.

So the opposite of how "May Cause Harm" on the Fair Warning RPG is only visible in the lobby but not in-game. Ha.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I'm sure I've just heard Almir confirm that the reason they gave those 7 DLCs away was because you may get a skin that has a weapon from the COP safe.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Psion posted:

Cowman that's on you, really. You knew getting into it what the COP was. They made it very clear up front it was hype fuel first, support Overkill second, get something a distant third. And you already got the masks - so you already did get something.

This is - and I'm speaking generally here - what amuses me about a lot of the COP complaints. People who whine they can't sell their drill rewards for $20 are just great. No concept of what economics means here, I see. If someone wanted to pay $20 for that particular skin they probably would have bought the COP to begin with, at which point they would have gotten hype fuel, Mega Masks, and their own COP Safe/Drill. "why can't I sell a fraction of this DLC for the full price of the DLC" is a question a lot of people are incapable of understanding.

I agree with all of this and whining about the COP pack after the fact is pretty hilarious. The only thing I think is legitimate is that those skins should have come mint-condition only because rolling a poop gun sucks. If you didn't get a skin that you wanted, sorry, that's what the market is for.

Also I wish I could participate in chat or something because I'd suggest COP pack 2 to fund the creation of mega masks for the DLC characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

did u rebind ur use key? clicking doesnt highlight in stealth mode