Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

Bob Shabazz posted:

In addition, this draft can be an rear end in a top hat if you fall behind, so I'm proposing a new rule and I'd like to hear what people think:

- if you are shut out in any round, you may submit one more pick before all picks are revealed

Seems like a good mechanic to keep people from falling hopelessly behind in the arms race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Any way we could wait until sunday or monday to start this? I'm going away for thanksgiving and will mostly be MIA until then.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Bob Shabazz posted:

It is indeed 6 players each round, and the only seasons eligible are the ones within the year range. So if you drafted Wade Boggs, everything from 82-93 is off limits.

Related to that, though, I think the year range will have to be shrunk a bit. I was accounting for the possibility of more players but it looks like we're gonna top out at 24. How would people feel about a change to 1998-2015 instead?

i'm agin' it

Bob Shabazz posted:

In addition, this draft can be an rear end in a top hat if you fall behind, so I'm proposing a new rule and I'd like to hear what people think:

- if you are shut out in any round, you may submit one more pick before all picks are revealed

i'm fer it

I'm not sure the player pool is small enough to cut off some years, and I'd like 94-97 to be in the pool for selfish reasons (those are some cool player-years). Meanwhile, the shutout change sounds good - getting shut out suuuuucks, and this'll make it suck a bit less.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

i'm agin' it

i'm fer it

I'm not sure the player pool is small enough to cut off some years, and I'd like 94-97 to be in the pool for selfish reasons (those are some cool player-years). Meanwhile, the shutout change sounds good - getting shut out suuuuucks, and this'll make it suck a bit less.

Same

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Zamboni Jesus posted:

did anyone try PMing toadee and ivan?

Someone should do this. Ivan is on twitter but I forget his username.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Is it each player/year that is unique? IE 1994 Joe Baseball, 1995 Joe Baseball, etc?

That is, if someone picks the same player but a different year, do they still both get their player?

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

Is it each player/year that is unique? IE 1994 Joe Baseball, 1995 Joe Baseball, etc?

That is, if someone picks the same player but a different year, do they still both get their player?

You're drafting players, not years. If you draft Barry Bonds you're getting one use of Barry Bonds from any year in the range (although you probably want 01, 02, or 04).

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

You're drafting players, not years. If you draft Barry Bonds you're getting one use of Barry Bonds from any year in the range (although you probably want 01, 02, or 04).

That answers my question, thanks.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
One spot left hopefully

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

zapplez posted:

One spot left hopefully

Absolutely, and we're still looking for one more.

ArtVandelay posted:

Any way we could wait until sunday or monday to start this? I'm going away for thanksgiving and will mostly be MIA until then.

If we fill soon I was looking to start on Monday.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I agree with what's been said and I'll keep the year range the same but add the rule about one extra draft pick.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Maybe late but I'm also against shrinking the player pool.

For the bonus pick can you also get shut out in that?

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

None of you harassed me on twitter about this?

I'm in and I'm out for revenge

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

gyroball posted:

None of you harassed me on twitter about this?

I'm in and I'm out for revenge

Does this mean we are FULL ?

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

I believe that we are!

I'll make a big post about how to evaluate players at some point during the next day or two for the new players. Don't worry about submitting picks to me for a while.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

I should also say that running this draft is a huge pain and I'm looking for someone to give me a hand. All you'd have to do is update the blacklist between rounds so that I just have to focus on vetting all the picks.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Where can I join in WIS

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Bob Shabazz posted:

I should also say that running this draft is a huge pain and I'm looking for someone to give me a hand. All you'd have to do is update the blacklist between rounds so that I just have to focus on vetting all the picks.

You have my spreadsheet

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bob Shabazz posted:

I'll help too if need be, though I need to learn how to do this poo poo first.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

duyarvish posted:

Where can I join in WIS

The league's not ready yet, so your best bet is either to just use a Spring Training team to draft or go ahead and buy a team in preparation.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
I've got WIS seasons from HBD so I should be good to go then

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

duyarvish posted:

I've got WIS seasons from HBD so I should be good to go then

They are different seasons, you need a sim league season

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I know someone said drafting would start tomorrow, how many rounds are we doing ?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
It goes to whenever everyone has 25 guys and everyone will be finished at different times.

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

Scrotos posted:

Someone should do this. Ivan is on twitter but I forget his username.

I shut that down ages ago. I got a PM but I was gone for the holiday and didn't see it until it was too late. I'll jump in the next one for sure.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

Hey guys I'm sorry I really dropped the ball about getting the draft running early today. I've been swamped at work but I'll try to get stuff running today.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

Before the draft begins I have a few tips for the newbies who might be staring at a blank draft center team and lost:

- When drafting players, be sure that Search Interface is set to "Advanced". This is a menu option that shows up after you select an individual roster slot to fill, at the bottom. Make sure it's not set to beginner or normal, it just limits your search options

- Set the minimum games at the position to 0 and check "Include Secondary Positions". This lets you find everyone eligible for that position.

- Be sure to evaluate players off of the # stats! (i.e. AVG#, HR/100AB#, BB/9#). These are the normalized stats, taking into consideration historical era, and they're the ones the sim engine evaluates players on.

Anyone else feel free to chime in with helpful tips.

Oh! Inning and PA totals. You're going to need at least 5200 PA and 1400 innings for your team, with 900-1000 innings being your rotation. I recommend aiming for more like 1500 innings for this theme.

Bob Shabazz fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 1, 2015

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Are we drafting in like the next hour? Stuck on a phone atm

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

On that note the draft is now open! Send me your picks either by site PM here or by a twitter DM. I'll send my picks back to the first person who sends me theirs, so I'm held accountable. If you don't have PMs or a twitter let me know and I'll open up a new avenue.

Power of Pecota posted:

Are we drafting in like the next hour? Stuck on a phone atm

There's no rush! Send them in when you can.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Bob Shabazz posted:

On that note the draft is now open! Send me your picks either by site PM here or by a twitter DM. I'll send my picks back to the first person who sends me theirs, so I'm held accountable. If you don't have PMs or a twitter let me know and I'll open up a new avenue.

There's no rush! Send them in when you can.

Whats your twitter name?

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

Right, that would be helpful. It's @bobshabazz.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

And I realize that in my haste to get this rolling I may have left out some stuff, so please ask if you have any questions about anything. I don't mind this first round taking as long as it needs to.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Bob Shabazz posted:

Related to that, though, I think the year range will have to be shrunk a bit. I was accounting for the possibility of more players but it looks like we're gonna top out at 24. How would people feel about a change to 1998-2015 instead?

This didn't happen, right?

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

No, it didn't. We're using 94-15.

Atheistdeals.com sent in his picks first so he has mine to hold me accountable.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Bob Shabazz posted:

No, it didn't. We're using 94-15.

Atheistdeals.com sent in his picks first so he has mine to hold me accountable.

Still happy to help you track things.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

i'm just going to ask you to update the blacklist at the end of every round. I can handle the draft picks.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bob Shabazz posted:

Before the draft begins I have a few tips for the newbies who might be staring at a blank draft center team and lost:

- When drafting players, be sure that Search Interface is set to "Advanced". This is a menu option that shows up after you select an individual roster slot to fill, at the bottom. Make sure it's not set to beginner or normal, it just limits your search options

- Set the minimum games at the position to 0 and check "Include Secondary Positions". This lets you find everyone eligible for that position.

- Be sure to evaluate players off of the # stats! (i.e. AVG#, HR/100AB#, BB/9#). These are the normalized stats, taking into consideration historical era, and they're the ones the sim engine evaluates players on.

Anyone else feel free to chime in with helpful tips.

Oh! Inning and PA totals. You're going to need at least 5200 PA and 1400 innings for your team, with 900-1000 innings being your rotation. I recommend aiming for more like 1500 innings for this theme.

Do we need to join anything on the site in order to start this, or are we just picking right now?

Also, is there a recommended number of players at each position?

I'll send mine in later tonight sometime.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
My picks are in. Are we aiming to do one round a day or more frequently than that?

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

JosefStalinator posted:

Do we need to join anything on the site in order to start this, or are we just picking right now?

Also, is there a recommended number of players at each position?

I'll send mine in later tonight sometime.

Sign up, and you can make a free spring training team to do your drafting for now, and buy a full season team later. Or you can just buy a full season team now, just make sure you don't accidentally enter it in a league yet until we get a league ID#.

Try and get at least 5-700 PA's per position, depending on which position and where they are in the order. For example, anyone can play first base, shortstops can generally play every position except catcher, etc. Pitcher plate appearances won't count against you, so having no DH allows you to draft less total plate appearances than you'd need otherwise.

Also if anyone new wants a feel for how the game plays you can run a spring training team quick, just to test it all out. You should have time to run it a bit before our season starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

In addition to that, a round every two days is probably the best goal (this draft takes a lot of effort to run!).

Eight sets of picks are in.

• Locked thread