Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I think I'm going to make Beef Wellington for family Christmas. I've never made anything this big and fancy before, so I'm a little scared but I want to make something extra special.

This recipe looked pretty good to me:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-food-lab-beef-wellington-ultimate.html

but probably with pate instead of foie gras slices. I'm going to do a practice run in a week or so I think. Does anyone have pointers/modifications/suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I made peppermint bark snowflakes! First time working with melted chocolate, but they turned out okay for the most part.

I do have some questions for more experienced chocolatiers though,

-Should I add oil to the chocolate when melting? After it was melted, it was soft but not pour-able. Would oil help with that?

-The texture of the white chocolate was great, but the semisweet chocolate on the bottom layer had kind of a crumbly, grainy texture to it (still tasted good though). You can kind of see it in the 2nd picture, there's crumbly bits and air bubbles in the chocolate, unlike the gorgeous glossy texture I've seen in other pictures like this one. Is there something I should do in the process to prevent that?

I melted the chocolate using a mixing bowl over a pan with an inch of boiling water.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It was on the heat for probably like 5 minutes. I also realize now that I should probably use a thermometer when doing this.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This was a very productive holiday for me!

First, thanks to everyone who gave me advice on the chocolate snowflakes. They came out much more glossy and beautiful the second time, with some added temperature management.

Here's some photos of the main event, Beef Wellington. I had to learn how to tie butcher's knots, which was pretty fun. I trimmed down a whole tenderloin and cut it in half to make 2 lovely meat logs. Used my mom's cast iron pan and got such a good sear! We had 8 guests, and they were all stuffed and happy by the end of it.

• Locked thread