Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Teeter posted:

This is somewhat of a follow up to the hors d'oeuvres for Thanksgiving question, but my family is pretty boring when it comes to food and I'd like to contribute something this year. I was thinking some sort of roasted nuts may be a great thing to snack on, anyone have favorite recipes/methods?

The best nuts I ever et are deep fried. Get a pot of oil going on medium high heat. Throw in your nuts. Let them fry, stirring constantly, until they're a light brown colour. They'll keep cooking once you take them out of the oil. Remove from the oil to a bowl, and toss in your seasonings and salt. Toss to combine. Fry your next batch, because these fuckers will disappear really fast. Bonus is that the oil you've fried the nuts in is extremely delicious when used in cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I know asking if anyone has a decent salad recipe is silly, since you can just throw together whatever and toss it, but the salad my aunt asks our family to bring is the saddest/most disgusting thing. Seven layer salad (really, six, since she has a loving conniption fit over any kind of onions). It's peas, celery, bell pepper, iceburg lettuce, cheese, bacon and the 'dressing', which is a combo of sugar, mayo and sour cream. It's terrible, bland, nobody really eats it anymore 'cause I think they're all secretly sick of it by now, but my aunt insists 'everyone loves it!'

Any suggestions for a nice, salad ingredient combo that wouldn't weird out the most whitebread of family members. I like having some veggies, but this crappy salad is like, my only option other than canned corn and mashed potatoes. (Hell, I'll probably end up making my own individual salad just so I don't have to go with that option)

Texas Caviar: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/152270/best-ever-texas-caviar/ <-- People in the Midwest love it so much. Just skip the 1/3 cup of sugar, and use maybe 1/4 tsp or so. You don't need that much sugar at all. Instead of the rice vinegar, use the juice of 1 lime. The rest is fine.

I make this beet salad that's gotten crazy amounts of love:

3 lb beets
1 lb carrots
1/2 lb daikon or red radish
1/2 lb granny smith apples

Peel the beets with a peeler. Grate everything up, either in your food processor, or using a box grater.

Dressing:
Handful of raw soaked almonds
1 TB white miso (optional)
Glass of orange juice, reserved
1 TB lemon or lime juice
Handful of fresh green chiles, stems removed. Omit if you don't like heat.
Salt, to taste
1 TB Rice wine or apple cider vinegar
Knob of ginger

In a blender or food processor, combine the almonds, miso, lemon/lime juice, green chilis, ginger, and vinegar. Grind until the almonds and chiles are chopped up. Then, crank the blender or food processor on full speed, drizzling in the orange juice in a steady stream, until everything is the thickness you want for it to be. Remember that you want this to cling to the vegetables. Then, when it's like you want it, remove it from the blender, and add salt to taste.

Toss the vegetables together with the dressing, and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes. The beets will turn everything into a brilliant pink/red, and the flavours will meld together beautifully. You'll get a little sweetness from the orange juice, carrots, and the apples. You get some tartness from the apples and lemon juice. The ginger provides a lovely counterpoint to the hotness of the chiles and the sharpness of the daikon. It's a wonderful salad, even in the cold weather, because the flavours just marry so well together.

You could use peanut butter or any other nuts you have in place of almonds. All it'll do is change the flavour in interesting ways.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Jennifer Patterson does it with shortcrust pastry for the bottom crust, so that you avoid soggy bottoms. She'll still drape puff pastry over top, but the bottom is a lot more stable, being baked shortcrust.

• Locked thread