Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Holiday menu and gifting questions have started arising in The General Questions thread, and it was suggested elsewhere (though I don't remember said "where") that someone (though I don't remember said "one") start a holiday recipe/gift ideas Q&A megathread. So, here it is. Ask and ye shall receive.

Homemade gift ideas:
  • flavored sugar/salt
  • flavored oils/vinegars; chili oil
  • hot sauce
  • soup mix
  • chocolate truffles
  • marshmallows
  • sweet/savory nuts/candied nuts
  • hot cocoa mix
  • fruit butter/jam
  • granola
  • cookies (in a decorated pringles can!)

This list if from:

kinmik posted:

I need some mailable holiday gift recipes guys! Last year, I sent my family flavored salts and sugar and the wiki's mango habanero hot sauce, which they loved. This year I've got sweet and savory nuts, marshmallows, and maybe some jarred soup mix, but for that last one I'm afraid it's just gonna sit in my parents' pantry.

What do you like to make, or what do you like to receive in your holiday package from your loved ones?

exquisite tea posted:

Personally I always love receiving those assorted little bottles of quality flavored olive oils and vinegars, because they're always nice to have on hand but not typically stuff you'd buy for yourself.

Gerblyn posted:

I've been toying with the idea of making my own chocolate truffles. I looked it up and I was surprised at how easy they are to make. You're essentially just making ganache, flavouring it with something like brandy or orange zest, then dipping balls of it in something like crushed nuts, coconut or melted chocolate. There seems to be a lot of freedom to flavor and decorate them, and make something fancy looking, without really having to do anything all too complex or fiddly, except maybe a tempered chocolate coating.

psychokitty posted:

I always do candied pecans and hot chocolate mix. This year I'm considering granola and maybe fruit butter(s).

Sweet Custom Van posted:

There are several varieties of cookie that travel well- shortbread and chocolate chip come to mind- and if you decorate a pringles can it makes a very good shipping container.

spankmeister posted:

Last year I made Irish cream and put them in those mason jars with handles. Cheap, easy and good gifts.

Scientastic posted:

Chilli oil is really good, looks very nice and is super easy without appearing so...

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Recipe questions asked thus far:

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Does anyone have a recipe for some kind of hors d'oeuvres for Thanksgiving? We ended up having some last time when the turkey took too long to cook and everyone was just standing around waiting. It would need to be something light that I could make the day before.

dino. posted:

Olives, pickles, hummus and pita, cucumbers, carrot sticks, or crackers, roasted nuts ...

Brawnfire posted:

I usually do a charcuterie tray if enough people are coming over. Plus my family makes these tiny toast things with cheese, they are addictive. I think it's a glob of mayo and parm baked onto the toast.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Thanksgiving means deviled eggs for me. Also, pickles and carrot sticks.

poop dood posted:

So I just remembered that a couple weeks ago I volunteered to handle the sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving with my family this year. For like twenty years we've been doing the mashed sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and marshmallows on top, and I'd like to do something more interesting.

My first inclination is that my family wouldn't be too into anything non-European in style, but they've surprised me before. I'm pretty able in the kitchen, I'll have all day to prepare it and I like a challenge. Any recipes or general guidance would be appreciated.

pile of brown posted:

Boil and mash them but instead of dairy add coconut milk and red curry paste. Deeee-licious

detectivemonkey posted:

Sweet potatoes au gratin!

psychokitty posted:

I usually do mashed with cardamom and orange juice (plus butter and cream of course!).

Steve Yun posted:

I want to make Kenji's stuffing waffles for thanksgiving, but I have a Muslim guest. What's a good replacement for sausage?

I looked at turkey sausage at the grocery, and one brand said it had pork casings which is immediately out. Another said it had "collagen" casings. Is that synthetic?

Is ground turkey any different from turkey sausage?

Gerblyn posted:

Collagen is like gristle and tendons and things, it could come from any animal, though in the case of turkey sausages you'd hope it came from turkeys!

Anyways, the easiest way to tell if something's suitable is if it's marked as "Halal". Round here, I'd just go to a muslim/turkish butcher, but I guess you don't have one in your area?

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, easiest way is to go to a halal butcher. If you don't have one, make your own sausage meat with ground meat, breadcrumbs (fine type, not panko), spices, herbs etc, sauce to bind. E: you remove casing in the recipe, so does it matter and wouldn't it be easier to make your own "sausage meat" mix anyway? Just use a rissole or meatball recipe

psychokitty posted:

I would use well-seasoned ground turkey or chicken (dark meat) mixed with a little added fat like schmaltz or duck fat or even butter.

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 19, 2015

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Teeter posted:

This is somewhat of a follow up to the hors d'oeuvres for Thanksgiving question, but my family is pretty boring when it comes to food and I'd like to contribute something this year. I was thinking some sort of roasted nuts may be a great thing to snack on, anyone have favorite recipes/methods?

Here's my ancho chili candied pecans recipe:

2 lb pecans
1/4 C egg whites
2 T water
1/2 C evaporated cane juice (or granulated sugar)
1/2 C coconut sugar (or dark brown sugar)
3 t ancho chile powder
2 t Kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350. Whip egg whites with water just until a little foamy. Toss pecans in egg wash, coating thoroughly. Whisk the rest of the ingredients together and toss with eggy pecans until well-combined. Pour onto parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes. Stir and bake another 15-20 minutes until the sugary stuff starts to crystallize. Immediately and carefully move parchment & nuts to a cooling surface. You'll probably need to do a couple or three batches. I do like 6-8 lbs a year for gifts.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

From general questions...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have a good mashed yams recipe? I'm going to be cooking a ton for Thanksgiving, and I want to get my ducks in a row early-ish. I've seen some recipes saying to bake them, some to boil them. I'm seeing some that recommend maple syrup, even. I'd prefer to get the natural sweetness if possible, without adding much, if any, additional sweetness.

I'm not doing the yams with marshmallows thing, because that's gross. (countdown to guy who doesn't like sweet potatoes/yams saying it will be gross anyway)

I'm also making green bean casserole. Is Alton Brown's recipe here a good one to go with?

I also want to try making a Christmas turkey next month, because my family has an Italian christmas, which means two lasagnas and a spaghetti with meatballs. I'd really like to offer some variety, especially because the lasagnas are frequently not very good. Where would I buy a turkey when it's not Thanksgiving? I only ever see them in the store that time of year.

See above for sweet potatoes recipes (same as yams).

As for green bean casserole, we do a similar one to Alton's in that everything is fresh-made, but we use haricots verts, cremini/shiitake mushrooms, and frizzled leeks on top. Our shroom soup also has sour cream in it instead of half&half. I would post the recipe, but I don't know where my mom got it, and we've made changes to it over the years.

You can buy turkeys in the store at xmas time, too.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Brawnfire posted:

Since I ended up in the OP of this thread, I'll follow up on the recipe my mom gave me for the parmesan toast thingies:

They're pretty tasty. These things used to be at every extended family party.

I'm like a ninja. Sort of.

I'm going to make both of those things for my 50's housewarming party. They sound very 50's to me for some reason.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is roasting or boiling the yams better for flavor? I think we're probably going to go simple and just do butter and salt. We're also making three or four things in a small kitchen. Probably the most adventurous thing I'm going to do is make some Limmers Club Punch if I have the time.

Do you mean roasting whole, like a baked potato? If you have really amazingly sweet yams, then yes by all means do that and just go simple served with butter and S&P.

If you have sub-par, less than sweet yams, then you could cut them into chunks, toss them with brown sugar, oil, and S&P and roast them; or boil away and mash (add some cream/milk and a red potato for a very nice texture).

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

For bechamel, I would go simple with just nutmeg and S&P, but that's me... I think simpler would be better with a gratin. Google some recipes though, because I'm curious.

For roasting, yes, poke them a couple of times with a fork.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Cavenagh posted:

Beetroot salads are awesome. I'm taking one of Beetroot, Fennel, Red Onion and Orange. I seem to be in a passive aggressive war with my American in-laws when it comes to holiday food. I got tasked with appetisers, and having had it explained to me again that appetiser for them doesn't mean first course but sundry items to snack on and ruin their appetites, my salvo is going to be:

The aformentioned Salad.
Chicken Liver Pate.
Butternut Squash Pate like substance. Without cinnamon and all the other normal pumpkin spicing. Gonna be savoury.
Toasts for smearing upon.
Selection of Olives & other pickles.
Spicy Cranberry relish.
Goat Cheese Tart.

They'll be serving Turkey Tetrazzini. I'm certain this is not a dish you serve to people you love.

Oh lord. I'm so glad you will have delicious food (since you are providing it!) with which to fill up before that horrible poo poo. And super high five (with jumping) for the cinnamon-free butternut squash pate. I would love that recipe. I just made cinnamon-free pumpkin butter this weekend and it's so loving good. You can actually taste the pumpkin... it's like caramel pumpkin butter. I just want to spread it all over everything.

Every year that my mom and I cook thanksgiving dinner, I am thankful that we know what we are doing and are thoughtful and loving enough to prepare a delectable feast for the people we love. We don't kill ourselves, we have fun, and the whole thing is a grand time. Isn't that what it's supposed to be?

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 23, 2015

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Steve Yun posted:

Pretty good holiday, would do again++

That is beyond pretty good, IMO, and I wasn't even there! Super awesome concept and execution!

I'd been waiting to post mine because in our haste I didn't get pie pics, but I think my stepdad did. I can post those later.

We have an indecisive thanksgiving. My mom and I found some great recipes years ago for stuffing and gravy, and instead of deciding between two, we always make both. So, two kinds of stuffing, two kinds of gravy, two kinds of cranberry sauce, and two kinds of pecan pie. The cranberries are because some people HAVE to have that canned jelly poo poo, and the pecan pie thing is because we make one regular and one K&W Cafeteria german chocolate. We also had cinnamon-free pumpkin pie (YUM).

Clockwise, starting at the front: sage sausage focaccia stuffing (with a big strip of turkey skin on top, see below), from scratch green bean casserole with wild shrooms and frizzled leeks, cranberry chestnut cornbread stuffing, turkey, thyme gravy, pear gravy, orange cardamom mashed sweet potatoes, an empty plate to be filled for an appreciative garage attendant (he picked us out of the whole building), a can of cranberry goo, ginger molasses cranberry relish.

One of the stuffings, the sage sausage focaccia, gets stuffed under the skin of the breast meat to keep it juicy. This year my mom watched Alton Brown's tutorial on how to carve a bird and we had a properly carved turkey for the first year ever.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Sex Hobbit posted:

Guys. GUYS. Need something relatively low-effort that will absolutely blow everyone's minds at the office party anyway?

CHRISTMAS TREE MERINGUES.

I, an actual fumble-fingered idiot, made these tonight and mine were every bit as cute as the ones on pinterest (allowing for crappy lighting and my android phone).

(they're greener in person)

Those are super adorbs!!!

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Jmcrofts posted:

It was on the heat for probably like 5 minutes. I also realize now that I should probably use a thermometer when doing this.

Not a bad idea - you can get a cheap candy thermometer at most grocery stores these days. The snowflakes are still super cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

LeafHouse posted:

My brother is super into making his own pasta. I was thinking about getting him some squid ink packets and stuff of that nature that he can use. I haven't been able to think of any cool stuff besides the ink and maybe some high quality olive oil. Just wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions! The overall budget is about $50

Does he have a ravioli cutter and junk like that?

• Locked thread