Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

he was crossing the street on the sidewalk

they also don't belong on sidewalks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
current commute status: train line shut down, had to take the bus all the way to the next nearest train line and be like 20 min late, at least I had a good seat on that bus.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Shaggar posted:

bicycles do not belong on the road.

Shaggar posted:

they also don't belong on sidewalks

shaggered again

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

my stepdads beer posted:

i ride a linux bicycle to work at the cilantro factory

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

just don't live somewhere where the majority of cyclists on the road have DUIs, problem solved.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

shaggered again

I mean if we're talking kids on bikes in their suburban neighborhoods that's one thing, but they need to stay out of busy streets. roads are for vehicles and sidewalks are for pedestrians

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Grandmaster.flv posted:

this was an actual real plan in 1970. like we had funding and land use permits and everything we needed. all four lines terminals were going to kiss 128. including the blue line, which would've gone all the way to Salem.

I had a loving stroke reading about it. it got shut down by nimbys of course. also red line was going to terminate at Arlington center but lol black people so that's why it's ends in the middle of nowhere in alewife

also in 1970s it would've only cost like 14 million versus what like 32 billion now? that's two instagrams

yeah saw you post about that in the tech bubble thread, it pisses me off, too.

the suburbs immediately around/within 128 are going to strangle themselves as they continue to build up more poo poo which cannot be served by the existing infrastructure. and as housing gets more and more ridiculous in boston we seriously need to offer better access to/from the city, better than just commuter rail (which can be p. lousy sometimes in terms of parking and highway access, lots of stations are really tucked away)

paging hp hovercraft, plz explain why it seems america sucks so goddamn much in terms of large public works projects. WHERE ARE MY TRAINS. WHERE ARE THEY.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

SO DEMANDING posted:

plz explain why it seems america sucks so goddamn much in terms of large public works projects.
capitalism

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

the suburbs immediately around/within 128 are going to strangle themselves as they continue to build up more poo poo which cannot be served by the existing infrastructure. and as housing gets more and more ridiculous in boston we seriously need to offer better access to/from the city, better than just commuter rail (which can be p. lousy sometimes in terms of parking and highway access, lots of stations are really tucked away)

paging hp hovercraft, plz explain why it seems america sucks so goddamn much in terms of large public works projects. WHERE ARE MY TRAINS. WHERE ARE THEY.

they're all over the place but they suck because they have to serve everyone.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

big scary monsters posted:

computers have buses

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

bicycles are not a mode of transportation. they're a hobby.

also lmao the downeaster is even worse than I thought. its an average of 12 miles between stops. 145miles takes 3.5 hours.

that's why americans hate trains. they're garbage if you want to actually connect places

amtrak isn't getting the funding it really needs so the northeast corridor isn't getting the 30 minutes from philly -> ny trains until like 2040. dc to boston would be something like 2 hours iirc which immediately removes the need for a ton of flights

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i ride my bicycle to work in communist china on a separated bicycle path and only have to go onto the sidwalk/road for about 50 meters between my apartment complex and the start of the bike path

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

SO DEMANDING posted:

I've been researching the MBTA for school all semester and it's more or less a slow descent into ego death

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

last year i went from a wedding in boston to visit my sister in baltimore and i considered amtrak but it was more expensive than a flight and took like 8 or 12 hours or something stupid

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

triple sulk posted:

amtrak isn't getting the funding it really needs so the northeast corridor isn't getting the 30 minutes from philly -> ny trains until like 2040. dc to boston would be something like 2 hours iirc which immediately removes the need for a ton of flights

funding has nothing to do with it. they expanded the downeaster recently and they're gonna expand it more. the problem is the train litterrrallly cannot get up to speed because it stops every 12 miles. that's not hyperbole, that's how it works. if you got rid of all stops between Portland and boston then you'd get there faster than a car and that would be great and would require 0 new infrastructure.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

concord trailways serves all my carless boston <-> portland needs. it's cheaper and not really any slower, plus if i time it right i can get all the way to bangor

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

funding has nothing to do with it. they expanded the downeaster recently and they're gonna expand it more. the problem is the train litterrrallly cannot get up to speed because it stops every 12 miles. that's not hyperbole, that's how it works. if you got rid of all stops between Portland and boston then you'd get there faster than a car and that would be great and would require 0 new infrastructure.

ultimately we're talking about two different things but the northeast line has far fewer stops and really could use a better timeline than 25 more years

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

You know that is because of unions not funding.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
a lil while ago I looked at san diego's transit plans and they're gonna finally have it all sorted out by 2050

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shaggar posted:

lol at defending the state of the northeast corridor with its 100 year old narrow tunnels everywhere

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

concord trailways serves all my carless boston <-> portland needs. it's cheaper and not really any slower, plus if i time it right i can get all the way to bangor

concord trailways is absolutely faster than the downeaster cause it goes nonstop.

mishaq posted:

lol at defending the state of the northeast corridor with its 100 year old narrow tunnels everywhere

idk about the rest of the rails, but the downeaster is actually used enough to warrant expansion but its crippled by all the stops, not by infrastructure.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

move to new york city or any major city in japan

welp, later *ollies out of thread*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

is it true that the northeast corridor is the only track rated for acela? why did they make stops 5 minutes apart if so??

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
The train stops in my living room and goes straight to my cube. Very convenient.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
I want to learn how to drive a bus. That'll be cool.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
as an Atlantan, I want desperately for the city and the state to stop being assholes at one another and do something useful with out transit network so i don't have to sit in traffic jams of legendary nature

but as a realist i know that MARTA will continue to be a vestigial transit system, as useful as one's loving appendix and just as readily discarded.

the area they're moving the Braves stadium to doesn't let rail come in because they're worried it'll bring them poor people, so they just said fuckit let the baseball traffic do whatever.

i'm sorry, you triggered me i'll shut up

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

no talk about marta that's probably my next semester project

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

rad theyre in the middle of adding 4G to the subway tunnels in chicago this is way better than infrastructure improvements

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Where the gently caress is tori? why is he not flaming up this thread?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

vodkat posted:

Where the gently caress is tori? why is he not flaming up this thread?

legends say that he's gone and he merely lurks in the shadows now

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Honolulu is getting a train and I'm excited about that.

I'm also about to move into an apartment 6 feet away from the busiest highway on the island.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

content post:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...E5sM/story.html

quote:

As the fiscal control board that oversees MBTA finances looks for ways to dig out of a deficit, several board members appear ready to pull the plug on the MBTA’s pilot program that extended service on buses, subways, and the door-to-door service for disabled riders, for 90 minutes on Friday and Saturday nights.

long story short the T runs until 1ish on regular hours and bars in Boston close at 2. in this new program last trains run at 2:18a Friday and Saturday so that crowd can get home.

our governor is a moron who thinks privatization is the way and people should rely on uber to get home and is in general all about cost cutting to solve the MBTA deficit especially in the face of critical failures in service last winter

also major service cuts to commuter rail north of the city so lol if you live in a suburb now especially if you think Boston was too expensive to live in before

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
gunna be pissed if the mbta puts boston back under a curfew

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

SO DEMANDING posted:

i wish to hell the subway lines would extend out to 128, getting into boston from the suburbs is a real pain in the rear end
its really not that bad and theres a few good ways to do it depending on which suburb you're coming from

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

SO DEMANDING posted:

(bus rapid transit!!! *farts*)

most cities in amurika are lucky to get bus service improvements of any kind at all, let alone bus rapid transit.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

SO DEMANDING posted:

there's all sorts of plans and talks out there for expansion and extension of various parts of the MBTA and at the rate this poo poo goes i'm gonna be in my goddamn fifties before any of it comes close to completion, and even then half of it will be cancelled and the remaining half will be half-assed (bus rapid transit!!! *farts*)

i wish to hell the subway lines would extend out to 128, getting into boston from the suburbs is a real pain in the rear end

the mbta has a $200M budget shortfall this year so good luck with your incipient expansion. I take the commuter rail into town and it fuckin sucks at being on time

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol
http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/indloco/nynjr.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Shaggar posted:

so then have two separate services, the all stations for whatever idiots who actually need it and the express for cool people

except then that probably would require new infrastructure to work

• Locked thread