Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Grandmaster.flv posted:

content post:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...E5sM/story.html

long story short the T runs until 1ish on regular hours and bars in Boston close at 2. in this new program last trains run at 2:18a Friday and Saturday so that crowd can get home.

our governor is a moron who thinks privatization is the way and people should rely on uber to get home and is in general all about cost cutting to solve the MBTA deficit especially in the face of critical failures in service last winter

also major service cuts to commuter rail north of the city so lol if you live in a suburb now especially if you think Boston was too expensive to live in before

gently caress Charlie Baker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

they added LTE to the N/Q/R over the course of the last year, but not at any of the adjoining transfer platforms (to the 4/5/6 for example), it's kinda odd

on the other hand, the 4/5/6 has a timetable board that updates frequently, but the N/Q/R has a disembodied voice from the dispatcher announcing train times

each line is slightly different due to historical reasons and nothing is unified except the map and fare

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the dc metro has had cdma voice in its tunnels dating back to the bell atlantic mobile days

they havent upgraded it since, still get janky 1x in the tunnels with verizon

you do get lte with most carriers in most stations though

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Share Bear posted:

they added LTE to the N/Q/R over the course of the last year, but not at any of the adjoining transfer platforms (to the 4/5/6 for example), it's kinda odd

on the other hand, the 4/5/6 has a timetable board that updates frequently, but the N/Q/R has a disembodied voice from the dispatcher announcing train times

each line is slightly different due to historical reasons and nothing is unified except the map and fare

I know a guy who works for the company that makes those timetable boards on the platforms, because they have advertising the deployment is tied up in those contracts

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Stereotype posted:

Honolulu is getting a train and I'm excited about that.

I'm also about to move into an apartment 6 feet away from the busiest highway on the island.

the worst traffic jam I'd ever experienced was on Oahu when the zipper truck thing broke down last March while I was visiting. took 5 hours to get from Waikiki to Waipahu. ohau's transit system is so hosed

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

I know a guy who works for the company that makes those timetable boards on the platforms, because they have advertising the deployment is tied up in those contracts

yeah they had contracted out wifi to some advertisers at specific stations, those are expiring so people can get actual cellular service on the platforms

new thing is giant video advertisements outside stations, giant touch screen guides at heavily trafficed stations, and more announcements/psas about being polite on the subway in various ways like

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I went into my friend's office when I was out there and they had a prototype of the "public internet terminal" thing they're using to replace payphones, it's basically a giant video billboard with an android tablet stuck in the side of it

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Grandmaster.flv posted:

why doesn't California have some kind of pan-Californian high speed monorail or w/e

societies in the endstage of decline are too decadent to maintain their existing infrastructure, let alone carry out large scale civil engineering projects

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

societies in the endstage of decline are too decadent to maintain their existing infrastructure, let alone carry out large scale civil engineering projects

:psyduck: it's true.. *thinking above rome* :psyboom:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

gonna be thinking about this and collapsing bridges as i drink tonight

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
uh, maybe you didn't read yeats but there's this poem about like the wide gyro or w/e anyway i guess if you try to cram too much kabob in it then the center will get soggy and then you'll get depressed and start slouching

e: the sandwich isn't literal it's called a metaphore idk it's too complicated to explain if you don't get it

angry_keebler fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 20, 2015

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

angry_keebler posted:

uh, maybe you didn't read yeats but there's this poem about like the wide gyro or w/e anyway i guess if you try to cram too much kabob in it then the center will get soggy and then you'll get depressed and start slouching

e: the sandwich isn't literal it's called a metaphore idk it's too complicated to explain if you don't get it

i am enlightened and en-hungered

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
transit's for poors and also millennials which is redundant

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Internaut! posted:

transit's for poors and also millennials which is redundant

*sits in traffic for 2 hours to go 20 miles*

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Technically you can take the train from San Francisco to Sacramento. However even in the worst rush hour traffic on Friday at 3PM on I-80, you'll probably beat the train because you have to change tracks and poo poo and google says it would take like 16 hours.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

Technically you can take the train from San Francisco to Sacramento. However even in the worst rush hour traffic on Friday at 3PM on I-80, you'll probably beat the train because you have to change tracks and poo poo and google says it would take like 16 hours.

the train from sacramento to emeryville is like 1.5 hours, ive had friends do it before

but then you gotta take a bus or BART from there to downtown SF

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Share Bear posted:

The way that they're doing the project is actually pretty smart given the decrepit condition of the system as a whole. The 'base stations' are in an anonymous server room, then the RF signal gets modulated into fiber and shot down to the individual stations, where they strap boxes to the ceiling that convert it back to RF, so that they don't have to swap out hardware at each station when x-treme 8G LLLTE gets rolled out. They then run fiber down the tunnels to nearby stations, which is why there's cell service at kind-of random stations (e.g. 21st-Van Alst on the G, which is something like the 3rd least used station in the entire system). Gizmodo actually had a pretty good article http://gizmodo.com/inside-the-secret-building-thats-bringing-cell-service-1592846616

NYC originally had 2 different companies and another company owned by NYC building subways, so of course they made different sized trains. The B division (the letter trains) is a merger of one of two of the companies, but the other (A division aka the number trains) had smaller trains and sharper curves so they can't mix and match trains. In the 90's they started implementing a system on the A division which could tell which train was where on the track as opposed to just a light on a board that says THERE IS A TRAIN SOMEWHERE AROUND HERE, however for an unknown reason they didn't bother to actually make it such that the trains could be automated (and thus run closer together). The entire project was, unsurprisingly, years late and massively over-budget.

The B division is still running on tech from the 30's. There are track occupancy sensors, and that's it, all they see is 'there is a train somewhere on this 1000' section of track'. Trains will get to a junction, driver will open a window and push a button with a stick that indicates where they want to go.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/why-dont-we-know-where-all-the-trains-are/415152/
They completely replaced the tracks, signals, switches and switching house out in Carroll Gardens, and it was still the same tech. They automated the L train and that took almost a decade, and it was the shortest line on the system. If you watch the train as it's pulling in, you'll see that the guy driving the train is usually like, reading a book. They tried to get rid of the now-useless conductor in the middle of the train but THE UNION flipped out and it's still there.

To give you an idea of the state of NYC subway tech: even on new trains that theoretically know what station they are pulling into, the conductor opens a window and points to a sign that says OPEN ON THIS SIDE before opening the doors, because there is nothing preventing them from opening them on the wrong side.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jimmy Carter posted:

The way that they're doing the project is actually pretty smart given the decrepit condition of the system as a whole. The 'base stations' are in an anonymous server room, then the RF signal gets modulated into fiber and shot down to the individual stations, where they strap boxes to the ceiling that convert it back to RF, so that they don't have to swap out hardware at each station when x-treme 8G LLLTE gets rolled out. They then run fiber down the tunnels to nearby stations, which is why there's cell service at kind-of random stations (e.g. 21st-Van Alst on the G, which is something like the 3rd least used station in the entire system). Gizmodo actually had a pretty good article http://gizmodo.com/inside-the-secret-building-thats-bringing-cell-service-1592846616

NYC originally had 2 different companies and another company owned by NYC building subways, so of course they made different sized trains. The B division (the letter trains) is a merger of one of two of the companies, but the other (A division aka the number trains) had smaller trains and sharper curves so they can't mix and match trains. In the 90's they started implementing a system on the A division which could tell which train was where on the track as opposed to just a light on a board that says THERE IS A TRAIN SOMEWHERE AROUND HERE, however for an unknown reason they didn't bother to actually make it such that the trains could be automated (and thus run closer together). The entire project was, unsurprisingly, years late and massively over-budget.

The B division is still running on tech from the 30's. There are track occupancy sensors, and that's it, all they see is 'there is a train somewhere on this 1000' section of track'. Trains will get to a junction, driver will open a window and push a button with a stick that indicates where they want to go.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/why-dont-we-know-where-all-the-trains-are/415152/
They completely replaced the tracks, signals, switches and switching house out in Carroll Gardens, and it was still the same tech. They automated the L train and that took almost a decade, and it was the shortest line on the system. If you watch the train as it's pulling in, you'll see that the guy driving the train is usually like, reading a book. They tried to get rid of the now-useless conductor in the middle of the train but THE UNION flipped out and it's still there.

To give you an idea of the state of NYC subway tech: even on new trains that theoretically know what station they are pulling into, the conductor opens a window and points to a sign that says OPEN ON THIS SIDE before opening the doors, because there is nothing preventing them from opening them on the wrong side.

:flashfap:

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
i finally got a parking permit next to my office, gently caress the bus

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Ericadia posted:

the worst traffic jam I'd ever experienced was on Oahu when the zipper truck thing broke down last March while I was visiting. took 5 hours to get from Waikiki to Waipahu. ohau's transit system is so hosed

Lol that was the funniest thing ever since I bike to school. All the surface streets were completely hosed too because everything relies on the H1 being operational.

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn

Stereotype posted:

Lol that was the funniest thing ever since I bike to school. All the surface streets were completely hosed too because everything relies on the H1 being operational.

I'm just happy I pooped before I got in the car

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

cool

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i commute on a bike because im not a terrified fatass that has to shield oneself in a living room on wheels, surrounded by every modern amenity at all times, the windows rolled up soundly to keep out all human contact

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
BART And You're THere!!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
to be honest I love transit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

qirex posted:

i hate those loving things, theres like 15 seconds of information and then 5 minutes of ads with no way to get back to the timetable once the ads start to roll

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yard salad posted:

i commute on a bike because im not a terrified fatass that has to shield oneself in a living room on wheels, surrounded by every modern amenity at all times, the windows rolled up soundly to keep out all human contact

lol source your quotes

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

yard salad posted:

seat warmers are dope.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I like how the San Diego metropolitan transit system, sometimes also the north county transit district, can take me anywhere I need to go for as little as $2 a day

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
$2 day pass? Really?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well a monthly pass is $72

a regular day pass is $5 unless you're :corsair:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

we should get a :rotor: emote

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

transit passes in vienna, austria are around $400/year for residents for combined bus/streetcar/metro usage

it's almost as if, encouraging people to use transit is cool + good

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

mishaq posted:

transit passes in vienna, austria are around $400/year for residents for combined bus/streetcar/metro usage

it's almost as if, encouraging people to use transit is cool + good

lol in nyc its well over $1200/yr if you buy monthly passes every month

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

at least there's a pass

if you take the dc metro 5 days a week you could potentially be shelling out $3000/year, there are no discounted fares except for olds and dc students

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

mishaq posted:

at least there's a pass

if you take the dc metro 5 days a week you could potentially be shelling out $3000/year, there are no discounted fares except for olds and dc students

meh you dont have to deal with metrocards. a fair trade

Necronomoticon
Aug 14, 2007

Millennial 80's business guy

Beeftweeter posted:

i had a stint at a job in sacramento where parking, with the monthly passes, was $1,980/year :negative:, but you can have the fee taken out of your paycheck pre-tax "so that makes it okay" :downs:

i lived 20 miles away and my daily commute took anywhere between 45 to 90 min. i was rear-ended twice in the bumper-to-bumper shennanigans. other transit options included:
- light rail for $100/mo. although it was hardly any faster than driving due to the frequent stops, and i'd have to leave 15-20min earlier to slog through 5 miles of traffic to the station, and the light rail station has its own parking fee.
- bus

i got out of the job pretty quickly, but i still hate my dumb gay SF satellite city.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

at least there's a pass

the dc metro is a funky hybrid of commuter rail and subway

the nyc subway is priced so that the longest rides are the cheapest, because the richest people live at the center and the poorest at the edges. so the edges are implicitly subsidized. with nyc commuter rail, you pay more the further you go, because no poo poo, you're a rich commuting suburbanite, you can afford it.

dc metro is a subway system that uses a commuter rail attitude. they charge people in ways that make pretty much no sense, assuming somehow that the covered area is an undifferentiated mass of people who chose to live closer or further from work

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beeftweeter posted:

meh you dont have to deal with metrocards. a fair trade

the support contract on metrocards is running out and there is 0 plan to replace them

soon metrocard will join the increasingly large suite of abandoned technologies for which the MTA fabs 100% of replacement parts themselves, in-house, at fabulous expense. a great union jobs program, terrible way to run a transit system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Roargasm posted:

the mbta has a $200M budget shortfall this year so good luck with your incipient expansion. I take the commuter rail into town and it fuckin sucks at being on time

every transit system loses money, that is intentional.

capital is provided by voters or not at all

• Locked thread