Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The bus that services the Palo Alto Caltrain through HP, VMware, etc, randomly does not run at all for entire days. I don't know if that is something up with the VA hospital or just general awesomeness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the support contract on metrocards is running out and there is 0 plan to replace them

soon metrocard will join the increasingly large suite of abandoned technologies for which the MTA fabs 100% of replacement parts themselves, in-house, at fabulous expense. a great union jobs program, terrible way to run a transit system.

good, maybe they'll do contactless finally

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beeftweeter posted:

good, maybe they'll do contactless finally

the swipe card support contracts run out in 2019.

if they started spending money on a contactless system right now, like, this past week, they could possibly have had a new system rolled out by 2022.

mta purchasing and capital planning is so laughably incompetent that the best case scenario is three years of decreasing liability and spiraling costs. but it's the mta we're talking about. i'll probably be cold in my grave before they replace swipe cards

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if they started spending money on a contactless system right now, like, this past week, they could possibly have had a new system rolled out by 2022.

mta purchasing and capital planning is so laughably incompetent that the best case scenario is three years of decreasing liability and spiraling costs. but it's the mta we're talking about. i'll probably be cold in my grave before they replace swipe cards

thats what i thought about mbta & tokens and welp i still have a charliecard

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beeftweeter posted:

thats what i thought about mbta & tokens and welp i still have a charliecard

charliecard was introduced on 12/4/06
the last mbta token was sold on 12/6/06

mta metrocard was introduced in 1993
the last tokens were accepted in 2003

you see the difference here

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the other cool take-away from those dates: the mta phased out tokens around the time all other transit systems were moving to contactless

1993: mta begins pilot project with swipe cards

1996 - seoul adopts contactless
1999 - shanghai adopts contactless
1999 - rome adopts contactless
2001 - tokyo adopts contactless
2001 - paris adopts contactless
2003 - london adopts contactless

2003: mta finally finishes getting swipe cards deployed

2006 - boston adopts contactless
2007 - mumbai adopts contactless
2007 - los angeles adopts contactless
2010 - san francisco bay area adopts contactless
2010 - mumbai abandons contactless because they hosed it up
2013 - chicago adopts contactless
2013 - moscow adopts contactless
2016 - philadelphia adopts contactless

2020: mta deploys its very first contactless machine, if everything comes in on-time and under-budget (lol)

naturally wikipedia had articles on every contactless system in the world AND tables of their various introduction dates. thanks, wikipedia

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 26, 2015

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
i think it would be cool if there was a button or something on my subway card uh TAP card they call it and if i pressed it or maybe like it sucked power from my fingers or maybe i could shake it idk im not a tech guy anyways it would be cool if it could tell me my balance. it tells u the balance on the turnstile when u go thru it but my neurosis increases as i approach esp if there a lot of ppl or a crazy person / crack head

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the other cool take-away from those dates: the mta phased out tokens around the time all other transit systems were moving to contactless

1993: mta begins pilot project with swipe cards

1996 - seoul adopts contactless
1999 - shanghai adopts contactless
1999 - rome adopts contactless
2001 - tokyo adopts contactless
2001 - paris adopts contactless
2003 - london adopts contactless

2003: mta finally finishes getting swipe cards deployed

2006 - boston adopts contactless
2007 - mumbai adopts contactless
2007 - los angeles adopts contactless
2010 - san francisco bay area adopts contactless
2010 - mumbai abandons contactless because they hosed it up
2013 - moscow adopts contactless
2016 - philadelphia adopts contactless

2020: mta deploys its very first contactless machine, if everything comes in on-time and under-budget (lol)

naturally wikipedia had articles on every contactless system in the world AND tables of their various introduction dates. thanks, wikipedia

somewhere in there: dc + baltimore adopt contactless technology from a company that then goes bankrupt

half the readers are so bad you have to mash your card and rub it around before the reader picks up anything

not to mention the slow as gently caress gates to enter/exit the station that have not been updated since the 70s

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the dc metro is a funky hybrid of commuter rail and subway

the nyc subway is priced so that the longest rides are the cheapest, because the richest people live at the center and the poorest at the edges. so the edges are implicitly subsidized. with nyc commuter rail, you pay more the further you go, because no poo poo, you're a rich commuting suburbanite, you can afford it.

dc metro is a subway system that uses a commuter rail attitude. they charge people in ways that make pretty much no sense, assuming somehow that the covered area is an undifferentiated mass of people who chose to live closer or further from work

eh, i see you point in a way, the dc metro was primarily designed to get people in and out of dc and does a poor job of getting people around dc itself

but if you look at major metro systems outside the US, where the dc metro is comparable in number of stations or track length (take the Berlin U-bahn) and they manage to be fixed fare no matter what distance, or at least zones

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

but if you look at major metro systems outside the US, where the dc metro is comparable in number of stations or track length (take the Berlin U-bahn) and they manage to be fixed fare no matter what distance, or at least zones

so yes, we agree entirely.

the dc metro resembles the U-bahn system more closely than the S-bahn, but retains the zoned S-bahn fare structure. that's kinda messed up.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
2015 - Vancouver finally introduces contactless.

it's all done by cubic so no wonder it's garbage.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so yes, we agree entirely.

the dc metro resembles the U-bahn system more closely than the S-bahn, but retains the zoned S-bahn fare structure. that's kinda messed up.

it is very bad

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

you! bahn mi

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Cubic runs this one.

the rollout of this was one of the most botched transit tech systems ever.

Chicago issued NFC passes that could also be used as debit cards so that they could hopefully skim off transaction fees when people used them to pay for regular things.

when the system rolled out, people were regularly being either not charged despite tapping their card, or were double/triple/quadruple charged. I remember visiting my parents and just being waved onto the bus because the reader was just so hosed. It took them the better part of a year to get it barely functional.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

James Murphy submitted a concept to have new turnstiles play musical notes that varied on a per-station basis. The MTA's response was to get extremely aggro and yell about how it was physically impossible to implement.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol @ septa ever getting anything implemented on time, never mind that the subway system is barely one at all

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009
Seattle's ORCA contactless system is cool and good, never had an issue with it. We're rolling out a ton of new electric trolleybusses right now and will have light rail to the U-district/Capitol hill in the next few months so things are looking up :thumbsup:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

dc metro is a subway system that uses a commuter rail attitude. they charge people in ways that make pretty much no sense, assuming somehow that the covered area is an undifferentiated mass of people who chose to live closer or further from work
it's almost as if it's run on a capitalist user-pays basis instead of some hippie commie provide-a-public-service model

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

a rowdy mullet posted:

Seattle's ORCA contactless system is cool and good, never had an issue with it. We're rolling out a ton of new electric trolleybusses right now and will have light rail to the U-district/Capitol hill in the next few months so things are looking up :thumbsup:

is this like the silver line on the T

if so then lol those are just electric buses

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the San Diego silver line is refurbished antique streetcars

Soldier of Fortran
May 2, 2009

triple sulk posted:

lol @ septa ever getting anything implemented on time, never mind that the subway system is barely one at all

septa was saying that their contactless stuff would be deployed spring 2013 (iirc, possibly before), so don't worry, there's no risk of them starting to implement things on time even if it does happen in 2016

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Soldier of Fortran posted:

septa was saying that their contactless stuff would be deployed spring 2013 (iirc, possibly before), so don't worry, there's no risk of them starting to implement things on time even if it does happen in 2016

initially it was supposed to just be a smart card system like everywhere else iirc. maybe it was supposed to be contactless but i expect to move back and everyone is still using tokens like it's the 70s.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the only metro train system i've used is london's, tell me why it's bad

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the only bad thing is you may have to switch lines a couple time to get where you need to go, and also the angel station's escalator takes like 90 seconds to go up if you stand still, but it is otherwise cool and good

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

nyc has an amazing boondoggle of a system mired in union negotiations, lovely contracts, poor planning, bad disaster response, resistance from upstate hicks, swipe cards, non-standard tracks and control systems, garbage and piss and rats everywhere and it's still the best subway in the country.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

carry on then posted:

the only metro train system i've used is london's, tell me why it's bad

no a/c so in the summer it can get so hot they hand out water bottles so people don't collapse from heat exhaustion

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

theflyingexecutive posted:

nyc has an amazing boondoggle of a system mired in union negotiations, lovely contracts, poor planning, bad disaster response, resistance from upstate hicks, swipe cards, non-standard tracks and control systems, garbage and piss and rats everywhere and it's still the best subway in the country.

the more I read about the MTA the more loving shocked I am about the ingenuity and triumph against adversity the organization faces. I mean yeah they're rotten as poo poo but in spite of that it manages to be the most heavily utilized transit system in the us.

the MBTA is baby poo poo compared to it but yeah easily #2 by a long stretch

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the LA Expo line to santa monica is delayed an extra few months cause a contractor forgot to put a drain near a huge dirt wall they built ('it doesnt rain in LA, who needs drains lol')

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jimmy Carter posted:

Cubic runs this one.

the rollout of this was one of the most botched transit tech systems ever.

Chicago issued NFC passes that could also be used as debit cards so that they could hopefully skim off transaction fees when people used them to pay for regular things.

when the system rolled out, people were regularly being either not charged despite tapping their card, or were double/triple/quadruple charged. I remember visiting my parents and just being waved onto the bus because the reader was just so hosed. It took them the better part of a year to get it barely functional.

the subway readers never give me trouble but I swear the bus ones fail like 10% of the time and j feel like an idiot and there's a line of people behind me getting angry

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lmao forever if your trains don't run 24 hours

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

this was the thing i liked least about living in boston

tbf the rationale of "cmon guy its old as poo poo we need to work on it" (if true) is a good one, i've been in nyc for like 4 months and i've already had to deal with them doing bullshit repairs on the lines i need to use on the days that i need to use them

for 2 months straight

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

theres a reason boston has an inferiority complex

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beeftweeter posted:

tbf the rationale of "cmon guy its old as poo poo we need to work on it" (if true) is a good one, i've been in nyc for like 4 months and i've already had to deal with them doing bullshit repairs on the lines i need to use on the days that i need to use them

for 2 months straight

for many years the mta refused to close the subway even while it was being worked on. they would just go down to a single track in service

guys would have to jump off the tracks to let trains go by

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for many years the mta refused to close the subway even while it was being worked on. they would just go down to a single track in service

guys would have to jump off the tracks to let trains go by

That owns.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The MTA is so petty they only do this so they can claim they are open 24 hours a day. The only difference between MTA and the Underground is that you can wait 6 or so hours on the platform in New York for the next train.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

That owns.

it doesn't own at all. it used to take months and months to do work that should have taken like a week.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MrMoo posted:

The MTA is so petty they only do this so they can claim they are open 24 hours a day. The only difference between MTA and the Underground is that you can wait 6 or so hours on the platform in New York for the next train.

they actually are open 24 hours a day.

they do close stations and lengths of track on weekends and evenings to do repairs now though

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

this was the thing i liked least about living in boston

for 2 months straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laz4oqDSXRs

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

i like the tube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol i lived here for a long rear end time about 8 years ago. i just never saw them totally shut down most of a line before

• Locked thread