Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

that is on the complete opposite side of downtown from the place I'm talking about. im on my phone but it looks like a streetcar along 46th/Ford is an option for this project: http://riverviewcorridor.com/

i drive that way most weekday mornings. i know the a-line goes that way too but i'd def. like a streetcar there. and also running down snelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Cygni posted:

populate their downtowns with parking lots

hate this poo poo, parking lots are the worst

one of the worst parking lot offenders i see on the reg is the target i go to. the city and target really hosed up wit how they situated the store on the property.

like, they could have put the building closer to university (where it was before it got turned into a super target), but instead anyone going there via light rail has to walk across a quarter mile of parking lot to get to the store. it's gross and terrible.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

awwwwwww poor babies have to walk a whole quarter of a mile? awwwww

it's not that far but it's still a bad decision.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i'm not sure why you're criticizing the most well-designed block in that stretch of midway. if you take the couple of blocks to the west, i.e. the one with the Wal-Mart and the one with the "Rainbow", those are a lot worse; the target block makes much more sense in contrast to them. like if you put the target building farther north on that block, it would just create a dead zone next to St. Anthony Ave, much like you see on the other blocks i mentioned. and pedestrian access to that block is actually quite nice: contrary to your claim, pedestrians do not need to ever set foot in the target parking lot (at least on the Hamline side), because they can just walk on the public sidewalk on either the west or east edge of the block, and then go directly to the private sidewalk in front of the target. the stoplights on Hamline in the middle of the block are even fully signed with walk/don't walk and crosswalks for pedestrians. contrast this with those other blocks, which are a mish-mash of crappy little parking-lot fiefdoms that often have poor/no good places for pedestrians to walk to get to the stores on the block

of all the bad urban/suburban experiments and the downtown asphalt wastelands that you can find in MSP, imo that block is nowhere near the top of the list

ehhhhh i guess. i don't go to those other blocks very often, but i stop at target a lot esp when i'm taking the green line home so it's fresh in my mind as a "why did they do it like this" sort of thing.

that whole area between university and 94 is kind of hard to work with, maybe they should have run 94 a little further north along the railroads. idk.

e:

quote:

i'm curious when the demolition is going to begin for the block just east of snelling. can't wait for that shiny new soccer stadium that will never pay a dime to the city in property taxes, thanks mayor coleman :swoon:

saaaame

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

hobbesmaster posted:

but then it would've missed the black people

we went to this play at the mn history theater a few weeks ago and one of the quotes in the program was "very few blacks lived in Minnesota, but the road builders found them."

• Locked thread