Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Share Bear posted:

they added LTE to the N/Q/R over the course of the last year, but not at any of the adjoining transfer platforms (to the 4/5/6 for example), it's kinda odd

on the other hand, the 4/5/6 has a timetable board that updates frequently, but the N/Q/R has a disembodied voice from the dispatcher announcing train times

each line is slightly different due to historical reasons and nothing is unified except the map and fare

I know a guy who works for the company that makes those timetable boards on the platforms, because they have advertising the deployment is tied up in those contracts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I went into my friend's office when I was out there and they had a prototype of the "public internet terminal" thing they're using to replace payphones, it's basically a giant video billboard with an android tablet stuck in the side of it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

san diego has a surprisingly competent bus/streetcar system for a southern california city, only $2.25 to the airport

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

riding the 3am owl bus home after a night out at a club was some pro-tier people watching

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only actual BRT is the tunnel in Seattle, cross traffic and its associated gridlock, rando pedestrians, people driving in the bus lane even though it's illegal, etc will keep it at slightly faster bus

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

people will take transit/cabs/uber pathetically short distances in sf it's like just walk some damnit a mile only takes 20 minutes and the city is tiny

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

parents with children, old folks, and people with temporary disabilities fall through the slots on these sorts of plans

the distances you can walk comfortably are not the only distances that matter. there are lots and lots and lots of people who are not going to take paratransit, but are not adequately served by the combination of walking + trains.

I was specifically referring to young able-bodied people who will take an uber 1/3 of a mile from one bar to another

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There's a train museum in nuremberg that's cool too plus it's the german postal museum too so they have cool stuff like enigma machines

mostly not nazi trains

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

aoili is made with eggs and bechemel is butter they're totally different and neither are good on fries

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

things with flavor belong on fries, not just more fat to lubricate them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Share Bear posted:

it works worse than the old scanner tickets, but it doesn't immediately fail when you insert the ticket into the machine the wrong way (most typical issue)
in glorious nippon the readers work no matter which way you put the ticket in [although most people pay using nfc]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

bros are lazy though. their quests for instant gratification are the defining aspects of their characters
they'll just go back to ruining the LES like they were before brooklyn was cool

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mishaq posted:

yeah i think the fraud potential would make it too difficult to do in its current form

anything that resolves the fraud problem delays the time between scanning the nfc chip and when the gates open

they could just do it like germany and have a line painted on the floor instead of a turnstile

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I took MARTA a couple times, and it was pretty much the same as BART, even the Atlanta bus I took was OK which really surprised me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the crime of cincinnati chili isn't the pasta, it's the half pound of bright orange cheese product that goes on top of it

other things that are good on pasta: japanese curry, chinese chili black bean sauce

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fits my needs posted:

my favorite bart of riding BART is arepeople who only ride during the work rush that can't handle when a homeless crazy person shits himself stinking up the old car and are too polite or something to move to the car over or call BART police. its pretty cool.

old post but people don't call the cops because if you did they'd hold your train for at least 20 minutes at whatever stop the police showed up at

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i see nerds zooming around in san jose on those electric monowheel things and electric skateboards on the sidewalk all the drat time

they can easily make 20mph and are p quiet so i suppose it's only a matter of time until they're relegated to the bike lanes after pedestrian mutilation

in SF they gave them the same regs as a segway, you're supposed to ride them in the street and with a helmet but a lot of people don't yet

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

meatpotato posted:

I saw an article about how Berlin is renovating three 1950s era subway trains, mostly to attract tourists to an underused line (but apparently it's much cheaper than buying new trains). They look cute.

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/11/the-berlin-subway-is-bringing-back-1950s-trains/506450/?utm_source=SFFB

the best ubahn cars are the ones with the crazy camouflage seats and fake wood

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

as long as nothing inside the airport is broken like the airtrain or security newark is a deece airport and it's easy to get to the worst part of manhattan very quickly

I once stayed at a hotel right near EWR at the end of a trip, it was like a depressing alternate universe [but $150 cheaper than staying in the city] plus the cabbie was super sketchy and tried to rip me off

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I heard that chinese laborers dug the tunnels but santa cruz was too racist to let them into town so they hired white people to finish it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaggar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_r5UJrxcck
the bel air is euro trains and the Malibu is American trains

"old cars are better because they feel more solid, that's what you want in a collision 3 tons of steel and iron that just plows through whatever's in front of it"
-a ton of idiots who would still believe that even after watching this video

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the lack of engine probably just meant that the test dummy didn't get impaled on the steering column as the block traveled through the firewall into the passenger cabin

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i was in tokyo in november and the entire transit system is v. good. i even took a bus!

in tokyo if your train is more than 60 seconds late the train company gives you a card you can show to your boss explaining your tardiness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lampey posted:

is mini metro an accurate representation of how public transit works?

if the timescale was 100x longer and you had to pass a ballot initiative every time you wanted to add a new line, yes

• Locked thread