Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

bicycles are not a mode of transportation. they're a hobby.

also lmao the downeaster is even worse than I thought. its an average of 12 miles between stops. 145miles takes 3.5 hours.

that's why americans hate trains. they're garbage if you want to actually connect places

amtrak isn't getting the funding it really needs so the northeast corridor isn't getting the 30 minutes from philly -> ny trains until like 2040. dc to boston would be something like 2 hours iirc which immediately removes the need for a ton of flights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

funding has nothing to do with it. they expanded the downeaster recently and they're gonna expand it more. the problem is the train litterrrallly cannot get up to speed because it stops every 12 miles. that's not hyperbole, that's how it works. if you got rid of all stops between Portland and boston then you'd get there faster than a car and that would be great and would require 0 new infrastructure.

ultimately we're talking about two different things but the northeast line has far fewer stops and really could use a better timeline than 25 more years

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol @ septa ever getting anything implemented on time, never mind that the subway system is barely one at all

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Soldier of Fortran posted:

septa was saying that their contactless stuff would be deployed spring 2013 (iirc, possibly before), so don't worry, there's no risk of them starting to implement things on time even if it does happen in 2016

initially it was supposed to just be a smart card system like everywhere else iirc. maybe it was supposed to be contactless but i expect to move back and everyone is still using tokens like it's the 70s.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the only bad thing is you may have to switch lines a couple time to get where you need to go, and also the angel station's escalator takes like 90 seconds to go up if you stand still, but it is otherwise cool and good

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

:sigh:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

lol the northeast corridor would never be able to build a high speed train because everyone would demand that it stop in their town reducing the maximum speed to 50mph.

union station, 30th street station, penn station, back bay/south station. idk whats so difficult.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

acela first class owns

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

there was just about only one time that i was affected by a major delay on the northeastern line. i was on the way back home from ny when the train stopped and we were stuck there for about 45 minutes, maybe over an hour. there was a stopped train on a track next to ours, and we had people come over onto ours to continue the route. when the train eventually started moving again, we passed numerous numbered placards on the train track. when i got to the train station the next morning, there was maybe an hour and a half lag on every northeast line's schedule. i talked to a couple people and it turned out someone jumped in front of that train that was stopped.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

shags lusts for a world that is devoid of bikes, buses, and trains

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Citizen Tayne posted:

That "PPG" sign in the beginning of your GIF stands for "Pittsburgh Plate Glass," a very large and important international company based in Pittsburgh.

This is their headquarters:

It is served by the Port Authority of Allegheny County's Gateway T Station, and many bus lines.

philip johnson did some good stuff

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

p.s. philadelphia is still using tokens now, today, in 2015. it can always be worse.

philly is great but i will fully admit that while septa has a handful of bus lines that are great for getting around, the septa token thing is a joke. they said in 2014 or 2015 that it was coming soon!! and i'm pretty sure that as of today it still hasn't arrived. i haven't used it since moving away though so i can't be sure.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

philly owns, why would you leave sulk

i'm hoping to be back there in about six months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

philly owns. that's why

• Locked thread