Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
as an Atlantan, I want desperately for the city and the state to stop being assholes at one another and do something useful with out transit network so i don't have to sit in traffic jams of legendary nature

but as a realist i know that MARTA will continue to be a vestigial transit system, as useful as one's loving appendix and just as readily discarded.

the area they're moving the Braves stadium to doesn't let rail come in because they're worried it'll bring them poor people, so they just said fuckit let the baseball traffic do whatever.

i'm sorry, you triggered me i'll shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
some time ago, Georgia's previous governor made a deal with some toll road companies. they took over part of the HOV lane north of the city, converted it into pay-per-mile poo poo. the mileage fees would change based on congestion so that on bad days you paid more, on light days and weekends it was cheap as poo poo.

at first, it got zero usage. since it basically took a whole lane away from traffic, and multi-passenger cars suddenly didn't want to ride in that lane (carpools were still ok to ride free but they had to 'register' for it ahead of time and it didn't work well), traffic in the other lanes became a severe problem.

this wasn't really solved until they lowered the costs so much that the fees were trivial, causing the whole system to lose money rather badly for several years. somehow this was evidence of success and they announced deals to build these toll lanes to other roads. but Atlanta being Atlanta, traffic got worse. people started using it more out of need than convenience, and the prices got jacked. didn't matter: traffic was so bad people were willing to pay. hit a record high congestion fee recently. it's also no longer convenient at all, because the toll lane is as jam packed as everything else.

so much so that now they're looking at offering credits to regular toll lane uses who decide not to use it during peak hours.

"the local paper posted:

The state will roll out new toll lanes in Cobb, Cherokee, Henry and north Gwinnett counties, but troublesome traffic has caused the existing Gwinnett lanes to slow below federal standards at crucial times.

So Georgia officials are working out details to offer toll credits to many regular users of the HOT lanes if they avoid traveling those lanes at the most congested periods of the day, said Chris Tomlinson, the executive director of the State Road & Tollway Authority.

The new setup, which Tomlinson said probably would roll out next year, sharply expands a previous pilot program that gave more than 200 super heavy users of the toll express lanes up to $3 a week in credits if they didn’t use the lanes between their usual 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. commute. The effort lasted six months, offering drivers a maximum of $50 in credits over that period.

going to all this effort to avoid trying to fix the problems with our rail system.

• Locked thread