Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Broadway already has a subway that stops every 4-6 blocks under it and plenty of bike share stations. manhattanites are so spoiled for transit and still all my uber drivers will bitch to me that they'll call a car to go four blocks

my sister's neighbor is a decrepit shut-in hoarder who can barely make it down the two floors to the street, as in she throws her cane down the stairs and uses both hands to hold herself up while edging sideways down the stairs. she calls a cab to go a couple blocks and will never move because of rent control and paranoia

she also gets mad when people get worried enough to call the landlord to see what's stinking up the hallway while she's disappeared to the hospital occasionally (it's garbage she can't remove from her place herself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there is a project here to expand one of our 2 light rail lines. it's pretty far along in the planning and is at one of those points where they can get a big chunk of federal transit money if they raise some of it locally

but...nope lol. the bill to make this happen didn't actually raise any money at the state level, it just gave some kind of exemption to the area where the line is being built so the local government could raise the funds. and this wasn't passed because the House is being run by a Republican who doesn't seem particularly imaginative, and who has come up in politics during an era in which the legislature pretty much never finishes their drat work before adjournment. so he's refusing to even talk about it because he's butthurt that not all of his tax cuts got passed. also he's dog-whistling about a transit project he lives nowhere near, probably because he wants to run for governor :allears:

the line itself isn't the best, but lol

it's to extend into the western suburbs, right? if not it's to go further south than MoA which is fine but having a giant parking lot on one route terminus isn't a bad thing

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lutha Mahtin posted:

http://www.swlrtcommunityworks.org/explore-corridor/map/map

it extends the green line from target field station out to eden prairie. also there is already some kind of BRT service that extends south from MoA, i'm not really familiar with that though

that would own so of course it won't happen

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i feel like the route they decided on wasn't very ambitious; one of the options involved tunneling under part of nicollet and having an underground stop in eat street, which i feel like would have been good because it would reach more people within dense areas of minneapolis. but i'm not any kind of transportation engineer and the route the chose isn't too bad really. linking up downtown with Bryn Mawr, Kenwood, SLP, Hopkins, all the way out in to EP isn't such a bad deal. Who knows, it might even reduce the bumper-to-bumper nonsense that is the ramp from 394 east going into the 94 east tunnel :allears:

the problem is that the legislature is in shambles. kurt daudt is probably playing the tough big man (at least partially) because he wants to raise his profile or run for a higher office, so he's been dog-whistling and grandstanding about the LRT project, even going so far to pretend he had never heard of the last-ditch senate DFL plan to just let hennepin county raise the money themselves for the federal matching funds. this despite the house minority leader saying he personally witnessed the conversation between daudt and tom bakk about it

finally, and this might be of interest to people outside the twin cities area, but there's a really cool blog called Streets.mn. It is weighted toward this region, of course, but there are also a lot of articles about transportation research, planning and theory in general

the whole system should have been subway in the the city grid just because it'd make waiting for the train in the winter much more bearable nevermind the huge service speed improvement between the downtown cores. oh well. running a line down through Uptown into the western side of Bloomington would be great, too, because there are some decent places to live down there

thanks for the link to that blog btw

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I like that there's a few tens of feet of weeds and trees between me and ~ten lanes of highway

not perfect but whatever - I should probably move or maybe get a window unit air filter, if those exist

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Bloody posted:

sorry about you're suburban hellscape

we have highways right up in our downtown here in MSP

it's nice for reverse commuting but probably really bad for my lungs if the soot I clean off the window sills is any indication

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I bought one of these "safeguard" window filters a few years ago, that link is to the storefront run by the manufacturer, not sure if you can get it cheaper elsewhere. You get a lot less air throughput since it has a filter and baffles, but hopefully with the benefit of cleaner air. The frame of the unit is pretty nice, I was able to stick each side of it into the grooves for the window frame, and the top and bottom of the frame have rubber strips so when you push the window down onto it it creates kind of a seal. Probably works best if you get several of them and set them up in multiple windows, I just bought the one, so with the way it lowers air-flow it didn't work the best. Eventually I just decided to buy a window air-conditioner.

But lucky you, you don't have to keep your windows open anymore because winter is coming has arrived!! :unsmigghh:

I'd die of some combination of sleep deprivation and dehydration during the summer if I didn't have window units, but thanks for the suggestion - it'll work well with the blow-out fan setup I've been using during the third of the year it's cool enough for that

I still have a window open in 'the office' where all my computer poo poo is because it's self-heating, heh

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

mishaq posted:

in before shagger says this will cause more deaths

I'm 60/40 between that and something about people having to use them to die on them

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Munkeymon posted:

I'm 60/40 between that and something about people having to use them to die on them

blugu64 posted:

that's fine though, since nobody rides the train it doesn't matter if they're in service or not

low rent train shaggar but I'll take it

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

#notallpublictransit

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lutha Mahtin posted:

with a Doomtree av you might live here, so: it's along 46th street in Minneapolis, east of the Blue Line station. I have actually never heard of this so it must be either (a) new, or (b) really early in the planning process. it would be a cool place to run a streetcar though imo

50th would be better because you wouldn't have as many lakes in the way

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"east of the blue line station on 46th" means there are zero lakes in the way, just the river. and that street is where the ford pkwy bridge over the river is

oh derp I misread as 'east into the blue line'

still thinking long-term you'd want to extend it west eventually but yeah ford would be a good street to run a train down

adding a train crossing to where 46th intersects Hiawatha would make that intersection even more of a clusterfuck :unsmigghh:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Cygni posted:

in cities that didnt engage in that game, mostly because they were massively white to start with like Seattle, there is almost no stigma at all with bus ridership

getting around Seattle on the bus is great and I'd recommend it over driving which sucks because their traffic is bad

unless you want to get out of the city but do that during non-commute hours for the sake of your sanity

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Elder Postsman posted:

we went to this play at the mn history theater a few weeks ago and one of the quotes in the program was "very few blacks lived in Minnesota, but the road builders found them."

gently caress :smith:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

seattle's touristy areas are dense enough and traffic-plagued enough that out-walking the bus is a viable strategy

this is both good and bad

yeah but you do the EMP and Pikes in a day or two and then you gotta get around to the actually good/cool little restaurants and whatnot somehow

also we stayed with friends in Ballard and gently caress driving in from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

mishaq posted:

i visited seattle when i was like 12 and the hybrid overhead electric wire diesel buses fascinated my autistic middle school self

yeah they're neat but I found myself wishing they had air conditioning

• Locked thread