Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

move to new york city or any major city in japan

welp, later *ollies out of thread*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

they added LTE to the N/Q/R over the course of the last year, but not at any of the adjoining transfer platforms (to the 4/5/6 for example), it's kinda odd

on the other hand, the 4/5/6 has a timetable board that updates frequently, but the N/Q/R has a disembodied voice from the dispatcher announcing train times

each line is slightly different due to historical reasons and nothing is unified except the map and fare

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

I know a guy who works for the company that makes those timetable boards on the platforms, because they have advertising the deployment is tied up in those contracts

yeah they had contracted out wifi to some advertisers at specific stations, those are expiring so people can get actual cellular service on the platforms

new thing is giant video advertisements outside stations, giant touch screen guides at heavily trafficed stations, and more announcements/psas about being polite on the subway in various ways like

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

angry_keebler posted:

uh, maybe you didn't read yeats but there's this poem about like the wide gyro or w/e anyway i guess if you try to cram too much kabob in it then the center will get soggy and then you'll get depressed and start slouching

e: the sandwich isn't literal it's called a metaphore idk it's too complicated to explain if you don't get it

i am enlightened and en-hungered

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

The way that they're doing the project is actually pretty smart given the decrepit condition of the system as a whole. The 'base stations' are in an anonymous server room, then the RF signal gets modulated into fiber and shot down to the individual stations, where they strap boxes to the ceiling that convert it back to RF, so that they don't have to swap out hardware at each station when x-treme 8G LLLTE gets rolled out. They then run fiber down the tunnels to nearby stations, which is why there's cell service at kind-of random stations (e.g. 21st-Van Alst on the G, which is something like the 3rd least used station in the entire system). Gizmodo actually had a pretty good article http://gizmodo.com/inside-the-secret-building-thats-bringing-cell-service-1592846616

NYC originally had 2 different companies and another company owned by NYC building subways, so of course they made different sized trains. The B division (the letter trains) is a merger of one of two of the companies, but the other (A division aka the number trains) had smaller trains and sharper curves so they can't mix and match trains. In the 90's they started implementing a system on the A division which could tell which train was where on the track as opposed to just a light on a board that says THERE IS A TRAIN SOMEWHERE AROUND HERE, however for an unknown reason they didn't bother to actually make it such that the trains could be automated (and thus run closer together). The entire project was, unsurprisingly, years late and massively over-budget.

The B division is still running on tech from the 30's. There are track occupancy sensors, and that's it, all they see is 'there is a train somewhere on this 1000' section of track'. Trains will get to a junction, driver will open a window and push a button with a stick that indicates where they want to go.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/why-dont-we-know-where-all-the-trains-are/415152/
They completely replaced the tracks, signals, switches and switching house out in Carroll Gardens, and it was still the same tech. They automated the L train and that took almost a decade, and it was the shortest line on the system. If you watch the train as it's pulling in, you'll see that the guy driving the train is usually like, reading a book. They tried to get rid of the now-useless conductor in the middle of the train but THE UNION flipped out and it's still there.

To give you an idea of the state of NYC subway tech: even on new trains that theoretically know what station they are pulling into, the conductor opens a window and points to a sign that says OPEN ON THIS SIDE before opening the doors, because there is nothing preventing them from opening them on the wrong side.

cool

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah its not like the people running those bars need to go home, they live in the bar, they all have sleeping bags

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 11, 2015

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

infrastructure should work the way I WANT IT and not how other people (probably poor??) need to

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

mishaq posted:

if the bars in your city that doesn't suck close at 4-5 AM, you aren't leaving until 6 AM minimum and you can catch a morning train just fine?

what if the bar is open for many hours and my shift ends at 2am instead of midnight, because maybe it's a slow night or the manager feels like tending bar or whatever

what if i cannot afford a taxi due to the notoriously low wages of anyone involved in any food service profession

what if the entire infrastructure was made such that it can accomodate a life which may not be the standard 9 to 5, and can also accomodate others who rely on my services

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 11, 2015

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yard salad posted:

The parked cars can also be rapidly ticketed and towed for operating in the bus lane or bus zone

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

they'll still issue paper tickets, probably, with the QR code printed on them, as NJ transit does

it works worse than the old scanner tickets, but it doesn't immediately fail when you insert the ticket into the machine the wrong way (most typical issue)

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the other issue with metrocards is people deliberately loving with them because people are assholes (whichll totally happen with qr too, prob scratchiti or stickers covering the scanners)

last winter someone filled one card scanner by me with chewed gum, in freezing weather, that was cool

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

in glorious nippon the readers work no matter which way you put the ticket in [although most people pay using nfc]

at most city centers each gate is staffed by at least 2 people to help you out due to technical errors and human errors

they're amazing when they work though

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

dazjw posted:

actually once you get a few hours from Tokyo you get to lines like the ōme line that run on the honour system and don't even have gates

this works and people still pay because japan

yeah, it's neat,

also i write very ambiguously because this is what i said on the previous page

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

can YOU find all of New York city's secret subway bathrooms???? there are honestly smells in them I have never smelt before

every track at the end of the platform

do;ne where is my prize

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

The Puppet Master posted:

Has there been much discussion about the various apps that each public transport service provides and how actually good they are? this is 9292.nl (the app and the website function pretty much the same)

http://m.mta.info/mt/www.mta.info is adequate but could probably use better route finding features. you dont need to calculate fares as the flat fare is the best feature of the nyc subway

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

there's no reason it shouldn't be a select bus except that people who live in the waterfront condos would never ride a bus

yeah pretty much this, also the inability to make bus lanes in that part of brooklyn

there are several buses which go from queens to brooklyn, they just start/end in places that have no white people

edit: checking the route, it is serviced, you need to transfer at court st if you want the full ride from astoria to sunset park

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 9, 2016

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the brooklyn<=>queens streetcar project is the dumbest thing i've ever heard of

fortunately there's no fuckin way it will get built. by the time they break ground, either the city's surplus will have evaporated, de blasio will be out of office, or both

fun fact: brooklyn/queens used to have a massive streetcar network that connected them. it got shut down in favor of buses, because they were faster, cheaper, and more convenient.

why the gently caress are we looking at $2.5 billion to re-create one line from a system that didn't work in the 1940s?

also it is all in the east river flood zone, and cannot reroute around it when a flood happens

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

it's gone straight to the top of my list. I think the same guy also tried to demolish a load of poor neighbourhoods in NYC to build a huge motorway

make sure to read jane jacobs after, though i dont think all her prescriptions worked out

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

ban all vehicles from Manhattan

it'd be nice if it was just "trucks, buses, and taxis only" or like that london congestion thing , there's probably some unintended consequence to this

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

fygmers get mad

it does kind of screw over people who have to get to manhattan from the outer boroughs quickly via car which still count as nyc, who are among the poorer in the city

it'd have to be offset by, i dunno, dedicated or separated bus lanes in bk/bx/qns

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

infernal machines posted:

[ask] me about how much bombardier loving sucks

ok

compared to kawasaki, the other subway car manufacturer

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

infernal machines posted:

toronto_transit.txt

first term fuckwad somehow lands on the TTC board, in the face of further budget cuts from the city suggests that maybe the problem with the transit agency with the highest farebox recovery ratio in north america is that the monthly passes are losing money

http://torontoist.com/2016/08/councillor-john-campbell-thinks-the-city-should-get-rid-of-metropass-discounts/

hilarity ensues

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/761645299467100162

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/761646493354778624

Good poo poo. I feel there are better ways to demonstrate statistics, like showing the margin or "profit". I can't find the study though.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

here's a good one about how even compared to the port authority and mta, NJ Transit has gotten royally screwed over not by decades of complacency but by chris christie being a transit-defunding-piece-of-poo poo

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/14/nyregion/new-jersey-transit-crisis.html?_r=0

i hate chris christie so much

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 14, 2016

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

mabes in parts of Manhattan, but they're v good in most other places in the city

it does depend on the route regardless of part of the city, more like places that have dense traffic or are very poor from the locations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

hey if anybody wants to pretend they're driving a Japanese maglev train, there's a mini Japan expo at grand central rn

oh cool im gonna try that out

• Locked thread