Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

there's all sorts of plans and talks out there for expansion and extension of various parts of the MBTA and at the rate this poo poo goes i'm gonna be in my goddamn fifties before any of it comes close to completion, and even then half of it will be cancelled and the remaining half will be half-assed (bus rapid transit!!! *farts*)

i wish to hell the subway lines would extend out to 128, getting into boston from the suburbs is a real pain in the rear end

computers: i read once that some of the red line cars used DEC systems for their signage?? that must be fun to maintain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Grandmaster.flv posted:

this was an actual real plan in 1970. like we had funding and land use permits and everything we needed. all four lines terminals were going to kiss 128. including the blue line, which would've gone all the way to Salem.

I had a loving stroke reading about it. it got shut down by nimbys of course. also red line was going to terminate at Arlington center but lol black people so that's why it's ends in the middle of nowhere in alewife

also in 1970s it would've only cost like 14 million versus what like 32 billion now? that's two instagrams

yeah saw you post about that in the tech bubble thread, it pisses me off, too.

the suburbs immediately around/within 128 are going to strangle themselves as they continue to build up more poo poo which cannot be served by the existing infrastructure. and as housing gets more and more ridiculous in boston we seriously need to offer better access to/from the city, better than just commuter rail (which can be p. lousy sometimes in terms of parking and highway access, lots of stations are really tucked away)

paging hp hovercraft, plz explain why it seems america sucks so goddamn much in terms of large public works projects. WHERE ARE MY TRAINS. WHERE ARE THEY.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

angry_keebler posted:

societies in the endstage of decline are too decadent to maintain their existing infrastructure, let alone carry out large scale civil engineering projects

gonna be thinking about this and collapsing bridges as i drink tonight

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Grandmaster.flv posted:

in related news loving banner week for the MBTA. two jumpers, another guy pinned under a train, deadman switch on a train disabled, and the new extension plan is dead in the water.

hmmm. looks like some serious issues. better cut funding.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also real "bus trains" exist

the montreal subway uses trains with rubber tires that run in a concrete track. i have never ridden it but it sounds kinda cool, if pointlessly expensive.

it's all very weird and french.

surprised the hell out of me the first time i went to montreal. "oh hey here comes the subway ca-WHAT THE gently caress tires??"

makes for a very quiet and smooth ride. i think it allows the cars to climb steeper inclines, too

funny you mention it being very french cuz some of paris' subway also uses tires

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Share Bear posted:

every track at the end of the platform

do;ne where is my prize

your prize can be collected at the end of the platform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the entire audience of engineers chuckled and the speaker went OH THE HYPERLOOP THAT'S THE TECHNOLOGY POWERED BY ITS USERS SCREAMS and i nearly fell outta my chair

this owns

• Locked thread