Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
current commute status: train line shut down, had to take the bus all the way to the next nearest train line and be like 20 min late, at least I had a good seat on that bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

just don't live somewhere where the majority of cyclists on the road have DUIs, problem solved.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

rad theyre in the middle of adding 4G to the subway tunnels in chicago this is way better than infrastructure improvements

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

the weird thing about chicago having contactless is that the company that does it somehow managed to do a thing in their mobile app that lets you purchase and use commuter rail tickets from the app.

going to laugh when some suburbanite gets in a fight with a ticket checker when they try to smugly purchase a rail ticket on the train they're on to evade the $3 'didn't buy a ticket at the station' surcharge and it doesn't work because Ogilvie/Union have lovely reception.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

i like how chicago will charge you extra if and only if you are leaving O'Hare on the Blue line, or if you're going to/from the bears game from the commuter rail station

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

yeah seriously if the train headway is going to be more than 30 min at 3 AM why even run a loving train then

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

one of the nice things about monthly rail pass is when ur downtown going home and you already went through the turnstile before figuring out that train is hosed you can be like later suckas

i could check citymapper if i wasnt a lazy poo poo

also apparently its common practice for homeless people to ask passholders to rescan their transit cards on the bus for them because the pass 'resets' 15 minutes after you use it.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

minivanmegafun posted:

they shut down the south side of the red line in Chicago for a year but only black people live there so it was ok. they didn't even add stations or extend the line

the amount of crazy reroutes they'll figure out to keep things running during improvement on the north side

rahm is a bad mayor

well it helps that the north side has extra tracks for a line that only runs on them during rush hours, but it was pretty funny that the yellow line was shutdown for half a year because a construction crew hosed up an enbankment

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

minivanmegafun posted:

I don't get why the yellow line is in the CTA's wheelhouse and hasn't been punted to Metra

likewise I don't get why the Metra Electric isn't part of the CTA

access to the heavy maintenance yard honestly. part of the huge problem was that they couldnt deliver rail cars over there for scheduled maintenance

the metra electric schedules are really confusing and dumb because later at night they just have trains go back and forth on the branch lines and you have to transfer to get back to millenium

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

I use citynapper, its pretty nice depending on which city you live in. In London apparently the app can even recommend what part of the tube platform you should get on at.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

minivanmegafun posted:

interlocking switches and signals in the Loop are hosed up. my train is standing in a station a couple stops outside

the Loop is honestly a dumb idea but it's a huge source of civic pride so it's not going anywhere

lol im really glad i came into work a little early today and missed that crazy poo poo by an hour

and yeah they finally removed a stop on the loop it doesn't need loving 8 or 9 or whatever

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

its me im the weirdo who prefers sitting uncomfortably on top of the little standing table in the operator area of the red line car for the added privacy

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

on the topic of 24 hour transit, that actually got me in trouble recently. im so used to blackout me stumbling onto a bus or train and knowing how to get home back in chicago, but im currently in san antonio and decided to go to a pool party/bbq over in austin. long story short blackout me couldnt change back into street clothes because the party got shut down so without phone/wallet I stumbled onto the metrotrain and ended up in Leander. By the time I sobered up I was trying to get back to Austin and sure enough the local cops threw my rear end into wilco county jail. gently caress wilco county

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

hi my favorite transit-anger: Austin Light Rail

aka they had a chance to do something to deal with both their massive drunk driving problem and traffic issues but LOL NOPE

I talked to a cop while riding one once about their opinion of it getting people off the streets or at least reducing the number of dangerous miles driven/pushing them out into less populated areas and his response was 'yeah I don't get what you're talking about and we don't care'

so basically it was a combo of:

- me shirtless (also no id no phone)
- I didnt know where the gently caress I was (I remember blackout me getting on the train, but since I didn't have a phone I had no idea where I was)
- I'm not from 'round here

that was enough sass points for the local cop to toss me in jail. the funny part is that if i walked 30 minutes down the toll road I would have ended up in travis county where travis county sheriffs or round rock pd would have actually tried to help me

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

I guess that's true, I mean I am white. the best part about jail was the clearly manic dude who hit his g/f getting upset when they wouldn't tell him right away what he was charged with

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

going to meet a friend way out in the burbs and it was nice that I can take a bike share to the train, to an express bus. you better believe he's driving me back to the train station tho

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

Bloody posted:

"green spaces in a city" is an oxymoron outside of parks. random-rear end strips of grass and planters and whatever are completely pointless garbage

haha like the 606 in chicago, its a cool place to go up and loiter on tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

chicagos bus transit actually gets used since every line runs predictably (yay grid) and high availability (in populated areas of the north side lol). they actually did install user-viewable gps and use the data to adjust routes and schedules seasonally or for special events, and to try to address bunching but good luck with that.

i think it even got them to start seriously considering BRT, although the implementations so far have been lovely (Loop Link) to mediocre (Jeffry Jump) at best. hopefully the Ashland BRT will be less lovely, they're promising limited stops, signal priority and paying before boarding

• Locked thread