Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

people hate buses because they take for loving ever and make you late for literally any appointment you might have. it is not possible to ride a city bus and live up to basic obligations of middle class life.

the racism is incidental. since only poor people ride buses, in many urban areas, most of the faces you'll see on the bus are not white

I never thought about this before, but this must be the cause of the stereotype of always being late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

mishaq posted:

its been very sad watching the dc metro deteriorate over the last 20 years

thanks obama

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shaggar posted:

if they cant afford the subway on a commuter plan how are they gonna afford housing? subsidizing their subway plan or paying them more both make more sense than loving up everyones transport to put it worthless bike poo poo that still wont serve them well enough.

ahahahaha you think rich people don't buy up all the most convenient locations in a real city because maine is a loving wasteland

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

the whole point of the program was to promote us industry to create and make these things. they wanted it built from the ground up in the us. if we wanted an off the shelf japanese model they could have just flat out bought that. that misses the point of the program.

this is anti-free market

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i heard u like ground clearance dawg

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

and buses. check your disability and weather privileges please

light rail motherfucker!!!!!!!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

NAT-T Ice posted:

my fav gmaps tts failure remains the glorious city of eee ayy you claire wisconsin.

i assume driving in france with gmaps is a riot.

ewe claire

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

God drat america.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

stolen from the anonymous confessions thread

quote:
I used to be an LRV (light rail vehicle) operator. I got demoted back to bus for being an unfunny smartass. See, our trains had these various audio cues you could activate. They also had Muzak (which I wished we could play during revenue service or at least while deadheading, but our managers hate fun so they say no) along with assorted cues based on different holidays. So for instance you could have the train play a little Jingle Bells riff around Christmastime.

On a cold February evening, I pulled into the last station on my route. I got out of the cab to check for anybody still asleep and to take inventory of any left items. There was an elderly man in the frontmost car of the consist, near my cab, who appeared asleep and could not be roused. I called over the radio that I couldn't wake up a passenger and a supervisor arrived some time later. When he couldn't wake the old man and worried something was medically wrong with him, he called the sheriff, who in turn called the Coroner. At this point I was ordered to stand by in the cab and basically stay out of the way.

However, within earshot of the goings on, I could hear the Coroner confirm that the elderly man had in fact expired on my train. Given the rare opportunity, I punched in a particular code in the train's computer; K57. The supervisor, Sheriff and deputies, and Coroner were then serenaded with a lovely rendition of "Taps" which played for the Memorial Day holiday cue. Apparently the Supervisor didn't appreciate my sense of irony.

And that is why I am no longer a LRV operator.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

blugu64 posted:

the only thing that the rail line next to the highway does is provide an easy smash and grab parking lot, and take up space that could be used for something productive like a green belt and extra lanes.

lmfao

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

shaggar would be an excellent foil in a socratic dialogue

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

megan mcardle is loving garbage

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ArmZ posted:

megan mcardle is loving garbage

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-10-03/trump-s-1995-return-shows-good-tax-policy-at-work

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/10/18/cyclist-says-his-pool-noodle-makes-toronto-streets-safer-for-him.html

Daily commutes used to be tough for Warren Huska, who cycles 18 kilometres from his home near the Beaches to his office in North York almost every day.

“People get really insulated inside a vehicle,” Huska said. “They don’t really know where the edges of their vehicle are.”

But, for the past year, drivers have given Huska a wider berth.

Now, when he mounts his trusty two-wheeled steed, Huska is protected by a pool noodle.

Strapped to his bike’s frame with bungee cords, the floppy foam cylinder is a reminder to drivers not to get too close.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

infernal machines posted:

i bet your parents spent a fortune on shoes

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

when it's preferential to go to newark new jersey you done hosed up

lol so so true

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

blugu64 posted:

remove nonfreight rails, add greenspace and drainage

:discourse:

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

so nowhere in the us

manhattan

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shaggar posted:

nowhere on the planet

lol have you ever even left n. america

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shaggar posted:

"oh its totally different here guys!! I swear!" - every full of poo poo foreigner

so you've never been out of n. america. have you ever been to manhattan even?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shaggar posted:

buses are a blight

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=much+like+your+posting

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shaggar posted:

global warming is ftw

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=much+unlike+your+posting

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is one of my favorite anti- mass transit canards

you could buy everyone a car for the cost of the rail system!!!!

• Locked thread