Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i commute on a bike because im not a terrified fatass that has to shield oneself in a living room on wheels, surrounded by every modern amenity at all times, the windows rolled up soundly to keep out all human contact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

funy commuter

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there is also option 3: dedicated busways. costs a little less than elevated rail, but delivers the same performance

seems to work good in singapore.

Bus rapid transit is almost always a better idea than streetcars. You can take advantage of some existing infrastructure and the train-like stations and service make the white flighters feel better. The buses can also drive around parked cars

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Imgur > Things Fitting Perfectly Into Other Things

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Cygni posted:

the downside of BRT in the states is that white/rich people hate buses, especially in some cities where they see buses as devices for subhuman pig people

my fav was looking through the public polling numbers for LA's measure R years ago and even with identical transit times, identical estimated capacity, identical headways etc... people were like 50% more likely to say they would ride something if it was labeled as a train instead of a bus, and like 80% more likely to say they wanted to live near it

americans think that mass transit is a communist handout to the underclass designed to get people hooked on government assistance. and yet they're somehow doing the Lord's work by driving on federally funded highways in their private vehicle (likely made by a company bailed out with federal money)

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a real BRT system, with dedicated busways that are not mixed with traffic, is just as fast as a subway. the stigma disappears pretty much overnight

i hope you're right. my midwestern city is adding one soon and i hope it works out

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

subway is seriously imba in Cities:Skylines

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

ometro posted:

http://www.ometro.com/index.php/announcements/bus-rapid-transit/

BRT will offer upgraded service with upscale passenger amenities including eight modern, uniquely branded vehicles and rail-like stations. It provides faster service with limited stops and includes infrastructure investments such as semi-exclusive guideway, queue jumps, level boarding, and signal prioritization to improve speed and reliability.

Omaha’s first BRT system is being developed for Dodge Street along an eight mile corridor connecting downtown and the Westroads Mall. The eastbound BRT between 31st Street and 10th Street will operate in a transit-only contraflow lane along Dodge. The BRT will have 25 to 27 stations with upgraded common amenities such as near-level boarding, covered waiting areas, real time arrival displays, pre-boarding fare payment equipment, bicycle parking, and landscaping.

sounds like we'll get pre-boarding fare payment but a kind of half-assed dedicated right of way

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

a reminder that buses were implemented in many cities as a literal conspiracy to destroy streetcar lines and sell buses

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Shaggar posted:

bicycles are not transport.

I guess I recreated to work today then.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

Idgi, why would they be parking lanes? People who park in bus lanes should get fined. Same with driving in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0wY-hvMC44

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i think one of the answers as to why cities love light rail is that since the old days of streetcars is that they have always been used speculatively. developers used privately owned streetcar lines to service their own suburbs with the idea that the streetcar line would make money off of the suburb, and the suburb and associated retail would fill out because of the streetcar line. developers have always done this with rail, and since the 50's, with bypasses and highway structures that are state and federally funded. now that the possible places for suburbs are pretty well filled out in most cities, developers are looking to gentrify existing inner-city neighborhoods by using government subsidized light rail to the same effect.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is a lot of words for "transit oriented development"

every few weeks i get an effortpost stuck in my posting colon. once i squeeze it out i can get back to my usual diarrehic poo poo-posting

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Triglav posted:

how is it elitist when, as you said, gently caress the poors? how is it the poors fault the rich cant bike because they moved far away? my city was made after cars and everything seems fine here, in the community they all left to move to the suburbs from (now they moving back tho $$$)

i get theres poors in countryside, but how is riding a bike and getting trash thrown at u from cars elitist

in a typical post-war suburban town, it's thought that only poor people or those with DUIs should be without a car, therefore everyone on a bike is suspicious.

it's considered elitist when people who can afford a car use a bike instead. the typical suburbanite living the dream off of a 6 lane highway, 10 miles from a grocery store can't fathom why someone would choose to cycle as a means of transport except as an expression of highfalutin liberal frippery

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

One thing that often annoys me are those lovely little patches or verges of bushes that people build to pretend the new development is green or something. They're a waste of space and I variably look like poo poo. would make way more space to consolidate all that land into a park elsewhere instead

Why yes, this is a noble country manor for for the English countryside! Just look at the 6ft tall locust tree and three hostas!

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

One thing that often annoys me are those lovely little patches or verges of bushes that people build to pretend the new development is green or something. They're a waste of space and I variably look like poo poo. would make way more space to consolidate all that land into a park elsewhere instead

These are actually required by zoning/building codes though. This is why when you park at a store or someplace recently built, you can choose to dodge cars in a hazardous concrete wasteland or walk through rocky outposts of decorative thorn bushes. It's a cruel joke played on suburban shoppers by civil engineers.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Like any newly built public space, parking lots are actively hostile to pedestrians, despite the fact that their purpose is to convert cars to pedestrians.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

I went to Maine for vacation. We ate lobster and went sailing. It was good.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

infernal machines posted:

yeah, it's a different use case

we just brought our refurbished 60 year old PCC cars out of retirement to run along the lakeshore/queens quay (waterfront) line. it's charming

my city burned all the streetcars in the 50's in a massive bonfire. the only one remaining was used for a Spaghetti Works, but now that's been dismantled and scrapped too.

ed. found a pic of it.

exe cummings fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 25, 2016

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

minivanmegafun posted:

grid system superiority. there's no reason to favor my street over the surrounding ones

indeed. my street is choked with parked cars on either side, speedbumps, off-center intersections, and stop signs, making it infuriating driving through it, but pleasant and safe to cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Satellit3 posted:

that sounds p unpleasant in general actually

it sucks to drive through, which is the point

• Locked thread