Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Share Bear posted:

they added LTE to the N/Q/R over the course of the last year, but not at any of the adjoining transfer platforms (to the 4/5/6 for example), it's kinda odd

on the other hand, the 4/5/6 has a timetable board that updates frequently, but the N/Q/R has a disembodied voice from the dispatcher announcing train times

each line is slightly different due to historical reasons and nothing is unified except the map and fare

The way that they're doing the project is actually pretty smart given the decrepit condition of the system as a whole. The 'base stations' are in an anonymous server room, then the RF signal gets modulated into fiber and shot down to the individual stations, where they strap boxes to the ceiling that convert it back to RF, so that they don't have to swap out hardware at each station when x-treme 8G LLLTE gets rolled out. They then run fiber down the tunnels to nearby stations, which is why there's cell service at kind-of random stations (e.g. 21st-Van Alst on the G, which is something like the 3rd least used station in the entire system). Gizmodo actually had a pretty good article http://gizmodo.com/inside-the-secret-building-thats-bringing-cell-service-1592846616

NYC originally had 2 different companies and another company owned by NYC building subways, so of course they made different sized trains. The B division (the letter trains) is a merger of one of two of the companies, but the other (A division aka the number trains) had smaller trains and sharper curves so they can't mix and match trains. In the 90's they started implementing a system on the A division which could tell which train was where on the track as opposed to just a light on a board that says THERE IS A TRAIN SOMEWHERE AROUND HERE, however for an unknown reason they didn't bother to actually make it such that the trains could be automated (and thus run closer together). The entire project was, unsurprisingly, years late and massively over-budget.

The B division is still running on tech from the 30's. There are track occupancy sensors, and that's it, all they see is 'there is a train somewhere on this 1000' section of track'. Trains will get to a junction, driver will open a window and push a button with a stick that indicates where they want to go.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/11/why-dont-we-know-where-all-the-trains-are/415152/
They completely replaced the tracks, signals, switches and switching house out in Carroll Gardens, and it was still the same tech. They automated the L train and that took almost a decade, and it was the shortest line on the system. If you watch the train as it's pulling in, you'll see that the guy driving the train is usually like, reading a book. They tried to get rid of the now-useless conductor in the middle of the train but THE UNION flipped out and it's still there.

To give you an idea of the state of NYC subway tech: even on new trains that theoretically know what station they are pulling into, the conductor opens a window and points to a sign that says OPEN ON THIS SIDE before opening the doors, because there is nothing preventing them from opening them on the wrong side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

2013 - chicago adopts contactless

Cubic runs this one.

the rollout of this was one of the most botched transit tech systems ever.

Chicago issued NFC passes that could also be used as debit cards so that they could hopefully skim off transaction fees when people used them to pay for regular things.

when the system rolled out, people were regularly being either not charged despite tapping their card, or were double/triple/quadruple charged. I remember visiting my parents and just being waved onto the bus because the reader was just so hosed. It took them the better part of a year to get it barely functional.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the swipe card support contracts run out in 2019.

if they started spending money on a contactless system right now, like, this past week, they could possibly have had a new system rolled out by 2022.

James Murphy submitted a concept to have new turnstiles play musical notes that varied on a per-station basis. The MTA's response was to get extremely aggro and yell about how it was physically impossible to implement.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah its garbage because i actually live off the G (:smithicide:) so to transfer there i have to go past jay st anyway. but oh no reason really its just work ruining my weekends

G train best train

never has anyone hassling you for money and you never go through Manhattan. The lack of a real transfer to Atlantic Av is super annoying, and their reasoning for not providing a free swipe from Fulton is :downswords:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/service/G_LineReview_7_10_13.pdf

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Did congestion charges actually help in London? Asking because I want another thing to complain about NYC not implementing because of stupid politics.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Austin's light rail system aka the single light rail line is pretty rad except for the part where it doesn't run on weekends past midnight, despite a huge drunk driving problem in the area (it also runs fairly infrequently but they just doubled the rolling stock).

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
but hey, looks like we might finally get decent high speed rail in this country
In Texas

Developed and financed privately

Using superior Japanese train systems

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
New York gives up and announces its futuristic ticketing solution:

motherfucking QR codes

yes lets put a payment system that relies on good image quality in a dirty and vandalism-prone environment

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the screenshot decodes to

FTMAQKFROAXWMEQBZLKNMDPLGVUOUZZKEXTGEBIOIOSGYLZGDOSHVFOPMETXWJURLLYQHHCECZWYPDYOXYYTPFUOUSSQWRYUGVDKAYHRHJOYVWVRFNHHXJCRMVWMJMENTNZNXXSOOAFBLJGSURXYQDDPEMVWUDQGYVOUFLRUAUZUFLYPOYSKWQJCQEPQMWJNQWFKGQKUCKMYJIBNBMYWQHPVTTWIZOAALFCLKNSEXXZWJPEKKBQRFQVIRZLXVMYYUIPRQFJHKYSUMHJSKXUWLVQSMJGHSVEAVWHERYQXFEPQVYOGSB

Actual data, or someone mashing a keyboard and making a comp?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

the talent deficit posted:

i hate that loving noise so much. it's like they asked for the shrillest whine possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BONL43eKi50

except that the MTA got extremely uppity when they suggested because why would they pay millions to change the beeps and it won't be ADA complaint?????

(ignoring the part where they have to replace readers soon anyways and guess what the transducers in them have haptic feedback)

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

kwinkles posted:

bike infrastructure chat? heres a nice bike bridge getting built in south austin next to the highway

that looks rad and I wish that I had more bike options that weren't 'here we put some paint on the ground'.

Austin Opinion: light rail service stops way too early (midnight?) on Friday/Saturday, when it really should be running until like 3 AM in an area with a big drunk driving problem.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

mishaq posted:

helsinki's public transportation app/mobile site owns so hard and all the scheduling is updated in real time based on current conditions

you can also take a public bus from downtown helsinki to the airport for like €5 and they run super frequently from various parts of the city

turns out you can grab helsinki's transit data out of the air if you're rad enough

http://www.windytan.com/2013/11/broadcast-messages-on-darc-side.html

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

qirex posted:

old post but people don't call the cops because if you did they'd hold your train for at least 20 minutes at whatever stop the police showed up at

on one hand, I like the idea of increasing NYC subway car capacity by 10% with articulating trains

on the other hand, the whole train can become a poop train

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

theflyingexecutive posted:

Broadway already has a subway that stops every 4-6 blocks under it and plenty of bike share stations. manhattanites are so spoiled for transit and still all my uber drivers will bitch to me that they'll call a car to go four blocks

reminder: you can kill someone with your car in NYC and the police will, at most, write you a ticket.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
The MTA's latest idea to get people to use the bus: put wifi and chargers on them.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
the number of people who ride bikes in NYC wearing a gopro facing backwards to record their own snuff film is increasing at a scary rate

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
ban all vehicles from Manhattan

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

The Merkinman posted:

NYC Goons, be convinced Tuesday that the BQX isn't a giant waste of money.

my fave part is where when they get called out on how they're planning to traverse the large inlet between Brooklyn and Queens the response has been *jazz hands*

it's okay the plan will die when eventually the mayor gets impeached in a fundraising scandal.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Tatsujin posted:

on the topic of 24 hour transit, that actually got me in trouble recently. im so used to blackout me stumbling onto a bus or train and knowing how to get home back in chicago, but im currently in san antonio and decided to go to a pool party/bbq over in austin. long story short blackout me couldnt change back into street clothes because the party got shut down so without phone/wallet I stumbled onto the metrotrain and ended up in Leander. By the time I sobered up I was trying to get back to Austin and sure enough the local cops threw my rear end into wilco county jail. gently caress wilco county

hi my favorite transit-anger: Austin Light Rail

aka they had a chance to do something to deal with both their massive drunk driving problem and traffic issues but LOL NOPE

I talked to a cop while riding one once about their opinion of it getting people off the streets or at least reducing the number of dangerous miles driven/pushing them out into less populated areas and his response was 'yeah I don't get what you're talking about and we don't care'

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

mishaq posted:

lol

how about focusing on making sure trains don't crash into other trains the first place

Yeahhhhhh…

The push to implement PTC on a national rail level has been an absolute clusterfuck. In 2008 they set a deadline of 2015. It's been extended to 2018 and everyone's operating under the assumption that they're going to extend it again because there's no way they're making that deadline.

Then there's the part where every rail carrier has been building systems which aren't interoperable. And the fact that there's only a single company developing the in-cab equipment and charging $100,000 per install with what should be $5000 of equipment.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

mishaq posted:

something something we wont have gps-based ATC for airplanes until 2133

hell, aviation isn't going to meet the deadline for installing ADS-B transponders in every plane

all the avionics installers are starting to get booked up years in advance. Come 2020 there's going to be quite a few grounded Cessnas.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
so this thing is a moving 11foot8 I guess?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
sometimes I get a J train with a cool conductor

couple of months ago he announced at every stop THIS IS A J TRAIN TO JAMAICA CENTER THIS TRAIN WILL BE GOING OVER THE WILLIAMSBURG BRIDGE then when we went over the bridge he went on the PA to give the history of it

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
any updates on the monorail in Tennessee that was going to be built in the median of the interstate?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
make the FRA remove the dumbass crash requirements for train cars = billions saved

oh wait then we'll just be buying 🚂 from foreigners. never mind then.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
http://brokelyn.com/mta-free-rides-trick-song/

Your fare collection is a POS

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

mishaq posted:

i remember those dumbass train seats when i visited sydney that you can flip around

meanwhile in Japan

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Silver Alicorn posted:

mate imagine using a wood fired stove to heat up your bathwater one gallon at a time

guess what you can get your hipster friends together in the woods for just this

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Endless Mike posted:

awwwwwww poor babies have to walk a whole quarter of a mile? awwwww

uhh obviously the solution here is Xiaomi MiJia Scooters for all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

blugu64 posted:

the only good use for trains, or do you all hate coral reefs as much as you hate green spaces in cities?

they actually stopped doing this after they checked up on the stainless steel ones and whoops they just fell apart and NJ didn't want any more trash in its ocean.

• Locked thread