Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

VIsion Statement: to have spirited discussion about all forms of mass transit and to reach a group consensus on the most well organized and efficient transit system worldwide.

relevance: train stations are p cyberpunk and pretty much every train station is run mostly by computers today. they're p cool

I'd like to open the floor with the following question: why doesn't California have some kind of pan-Californian high speed monorail or w/e

also post pictures of trains and trainstations and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

SO DEMANDING posted:

i wish to hell the subway lines would extend out to 128, getting into boston from the suburbs is a real pain in the rear end

this was an actual real plan in 1970. like we had funding and land use permits and everything we needed. all four lines terminals were going to kiss 128. including the blue line, which would've gone all the way to Salem.

I had a loving stroke reading about it. it got shut down by nimbys of course. also red line was going to terminate at Arlington center but lol black people so that's why it's ends in the middle of nowhere in alewife

also in 1970s it would've only cost like 14 million versus what like 32 billion now? that's two instagrams

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Shaggar posted:

bicycles do not belong on the road.

shaggar this is a safe space to discuss mixed mode transportation. please leave before I call security

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

SO DEMANDING posted:

yeah saw you post about that in the tech bubble thread, it pisses me off, too.

the suburbs immediately around/within 128 are going to strangle themselves as they continue to build up more poo poo which cannot be served by the existing infrastructure. and as housing gets more and more ridiculous in boston we seriously need to offer better access to/from the city, better than just commuter rail (which can be p. lousy sometimes in terms of parking and highway access, lots of stations are really tucked away)

paging hp hovercraft, plz explain why it seems america sucks so goddamn much in terms of large public works projects. WHERE ARE MY TRAINS. WHERE ARE THEY.

I've been researching the MBTA for school all semester and it's more or less a slow descent into ego death

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

is it true that the northeast corridor is the only track rated for acela? why did they make stops 5 minutes apart if so??

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

no talk about marta that's probably my next semester project

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

content post:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...E5sM/story.html

quote:

As the fiscal control board that oversees MBTA finances looks for ways to dig out of a deficit, several board members appear ready to pull the plug on the MBTA’s pilot program that extended service on buses, subways, and the door-to-door service for disabled riders, for 90 minutes on Friday and Saturday nights.

long story short the T runs until 1ish on regular hours and bars in Boston close at 2. in this new program last trains run at 2:18a Friday and Saturday so that crowd can get home.

our governor is a moron who thinks privatization is the way and people should rely on uber to get home and is in general all about cost cutting to solve the MBTA deficit especially in the face of critical failures in service last winter

also major service cuts to commuter rail north of the city so lol if you live in a suburb now especially if you think Boston was too expensive to live in before

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

theflyingexecutive posted:

nyc has an amazing boondoggle of a system mired in union negotiations, lovely contracts, poor planning, bad disaster response, resistance from upstate hicks, swipe cards, non-standard tracks and control systems, garbage and piss and rats everywhere and it's still the best subway in the country.

the more I read about the MTA the more loving shocked I am about the ingenuity and triumph against adversity the organization faces. I mean yeah they're rotten as poo poo but in spite of that it manages to be the most heavily utilized transit system in the us.

the MBTA is baby poo poo compared to it but yeah easily #2 by a long stretch

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

theflyingexecutive posted:

it owns a lot except for the sad tired people just getting off work

this is me and everybody in my heavily Hispanic neighborhood. Night owl T service on every line except the Blue line is full of drunk college idiots. Blue line to East Boston is like 95% Hispanic men looking exhausted because we all just worked at a bar or restaurant that night

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you're a hispanic muslim who works in bar?

Malaysian. which is why living in a Hispanic neighborhood is hilarious because everybody thinks I'm the other kind of brown.

also I loving hate uber but east Boston isn't bike accessible except through a truck road and crackhead salvage yard hotspot late at night so I have to cab it home. sucks but I make enough money that a 13 dollar cab ride isn't the worst.

late night service owns because I can bike to the train, take it over the water and bike home in peace.

in related news loving banner week for the MBTA. two jumpers, another guy pinned under a train, deadman switch on a train disabled, and the new extension plan is dead in the water.

what poo poo.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

but you're a muslim who works in a bar?

that seems really uncomfortable (for you)

what's uncomfortable? do you get weirded out eating at falafel joints?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no, but my religion does not prohibit the consumption of fried chickpeas

it's like a jewish butcher who specializes in pork. i guess it could happen but it is weird

great well I like making money while I'm in school and just because my religion says not to drink doesn't mean other people can't.

thanks and God bless/allahu ackbar

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

quick somebody ask me how I reconcile brunt queer with being Muslim because those things are also incompatible (they're not)

SO DEMANDING posted:

hmmm. looks like some serious issues. better cut funding.

yeah our governor is doing nothing about it and is making us unfit for the winter

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

yard salad posted:

Bus rapid transit is almost always a better idea than streetcars. You can take advantage of some existing infrastructure and the train-like stations and service make the white flighters feel better. The buses can also drive around parked cars

yeah in an ideal world BRT has dedicated lanes so you get the look of a train but the savings of a bus. there's less overhead when it's just pavement

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Smythe posted:

imagine a bus jumping over a bunch of flaming monster trucks. that would be so sick

they do this already

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

it's Florida so I'm sure a photo taped to some cardboard counts

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

so the mayor of Boston is trying out a car ban on the soho boutique style street in Boston for one day this summer and I can't wait to hear the bawling from all the moron henrys and their land rovers and audis bitching about not being able to park in front of Burberry or soul cycle

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also whoever said Boston isn't a bikeable city is a moron. Boston is probably one of the most bikeable major metros because of how dense the city is built. you can be end to end in 45 minutes on a bike. poo poo I live in east Boston, on the Atlantic Ocean and I can still probably get two towns out of Boston in any direction in an hour

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Bloody posted:

boston sucks to cycle in because the road conditions are atrocious and traffic volume is absolutely insane

dont be a wuss. cycling means you don't have to deal with traffic and if you keep getting flats get better tires. I get what you mean but it's just a learning curve. if you can handle Boston/NYC streets on the daily you can basically bike any other city just off that core skillset

source: I bike Boston/Camberville as a job

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Bloody posted:

and cycling in boston is literally 100% dealing with traffic. it is 100% try not to get murdered by terrible taxis buses trucks and assholes in bmws

that's everywhere with cars. somebody on the pos posted a video of a guy on a bike getting owned by a guy on a motorcycle in some canyon in the middle of nowhere

there's cars trying to kill you no matter where you go. at least Boston is putting more protected cycle tracks though for people like you who are understandably skittish about dealing with traffic.

I totally get what you're saying though. once you bike in traffic regularly it kind of goes away. I mean you're always hyper vigilant but it's not nearly as stressful. you still have the same random chance of death but you at least learn better ways of anticipating death

uh I deliver farmshare/csa goods via bike and on some days I do recycling pickup for the city of Cambridge via bike.

this is my whip

pre trash that bike weighs 400lbs by itself. my high score is 500lbs of recycling on it according to the scale at the recycling center. let me tell you you haven't lived until you've tried to take that loving tank on a 40mph rd.

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 22, 2016

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

drat right I do and it's going to be a loving AMAZING thesis on sustainability for me

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I see old Chinese men pushing the same amount of cans on regular rear end mountain bikes all the time it they can do it so can a fat out of shape computer toucher

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

I'm seriously impressed these old dudes have to make at least a Hundo a day in can returns

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

triple post: the other part of my thesis is about low income work and how cycling and public transit is the backbone of that class and how better cycle infrastructure lets browns and darks get to their lovely underpaying job more efficiently

it's basically about class warfare through biking

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

well yeah infrastructure comes from rich white people who have time to lobby for it. working class people don't have time to push for it but they're actually impacted far more by safety measures

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Shaggar posted:

low income people either need cars or good public transport like subway/elevated rail.

yeah but how can you afford a car at $8/hr or for that matter the bus? also why increase single occupant car traffic? that's a problem everywhere.

not even because I like bikes but it's not remotely feasible to own a car at 20k a year. I get that you don't like bikes but don't be a classist moron. if a bike part breaks you can fix almost any part for <$40. you buy a lovely $2000 car you have to spend 5k in repairs minimum, not to mention gas. in Boston a monthly pass is $80 so almost 1k/yr out of that 20k. this is a place with functioning public transit, which there's like <10 cities in America that have anything approaching mediocre let alone good.

or you pay $150 for a bike once and maybe you pay $80/yr in maintenance, most of which is fairly easy to do at home.

don't be loving dense

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i teach free repair classes, provide a full shop of tools and have a "earn a bike" program for exactly these people precisely because a lovely beater bike is a hell of a lot more reliable than any car they could afford

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

mishaq posted:

you're talking to shagger

he lives in the whitest and oldest state

yeah I just let myself get shaggar'ed didn't I

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Shaggar posted:

any city where bicycles are viable should have superior public transport (subway)

key word is "should"

and you didn't address my point that even if the subway exists, how can somebody making minimum wage afford it?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Shaggar posted:

if they cant afford the subway on a commuter plan how are they gonna afford housing? subsidizing their subway plan or paying them more both make more sense than loving up everyones transport to put it worthless bike poo poo that still wont serve them well enough.

ahahaha you think they'll pay people more?

if you really believe that call up your congress and state congress people and tell them that. otherwise stop living in a dream world.

you clearly don't understand what it means to be poor. it takes years to get section 8 housing, then food stamps covers maybe 2.5 weeks of food at best. you have a kid? good luck affording childcare if they're not school age. good luck seeing them if they're school age because you have to work 3 jobs to make sure you can cover rent and all the other expenses.

if you think poor people are lazy you're a complete loving moron. idk what industry you're in but I can bet you you don't do half the "work" my theoretical single parent in this case is.

also lol if you're a single dad you get three times as hosed

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also show me any teansit system that subsidizes low income and not just olds/students

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

rjmccall posted:

sf muni does this, fwiw

do they? good for them! I didn't know that. now if we could get other systems to do it..

anyways shaggar you don't have to like bikes. that's fine that you don't but don't be willfully ignorant to serve a gimmick. everybody deserves the same shot at happiness and this handwringing bullshit "they should do X" accomplishes nothing. go volunteer somewhere that trains teens for jobs or something or shut the gently caress up

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

be the change you wish to see

namaste

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Cygni posted:

seattle has low income fares, and los angeles has subsidized monthly passes, as well as free fare programs. phoenix and portland have free or discount fares they give out to low income serving non-profits.

basically lots of best coast cities do something, but a lot dont do enough

yeah the non profits I knew about I was more thinking of direct transit authority compensation.

thanks y'all I got some reading to do!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also stop saying bikes are unreliable that's flat out wrong compared to cars trains or busses. both in transit and in maintenance like I previously said.

as for bike distance, it increases your availability to two miles in an hour walking to at least 15 riding. that opens up your potential jobs significantly

I'll concede riding in snow being not optimal but it's also super easy and very achievable

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

traffic diets and traffic calming own

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

in Boston news, they're putting in protected bike lanes on one of the most dangerous streets in downtown.

I went to the planning commission meeting slash so did dozens of people also in the Boston Cyclists Union to raise hell because one woman died and lots of people got injured

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

mass ave. between the bridge to like symphony

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

bump_fn posted:

is there a proper name for the radial +spokes style layout like the Moscow metro cause that's the best

radial and spoke

also people keep trying to get me to suck the BRT cock but lol I have yet to see an implementation that works as planned.

on paper great and I'm all for it but the silver line deployment in Boston is loving criminal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i helped design part of the new orleans streetcar system and that section of the expansion is gonna be excellent for getting tourists from the bed and breakfasts in the marigny and bywater over to the downtown area w/o makin them walk thru the treme ghetto or the sketchier parts of the quarter

is the treme Baltimore level sketchy?

• Locked thread