Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only good types of city mass transit are elevated rail and subway.

also lol @ the french train example. does it stop every 15 miles like American trains?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

last year my us coworker decided to start riding his bike in and he was hit by a car the very first day

bicycles do not belong on the road.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
bicycles are not a mode of transportation. they're a hobby.

also lmao the downeaster is even worse than I thought. its an average of 12 miles between stops. 145miles takes 3.5 hours.

that's why americans hate trains. they're garbage if you want to actually connect places

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

he was crossing the street on the sidewalk

they also don't belong on sidewalks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

shaggered again

I mean if we're talking kids on bikes in their suburban neighborhoods that's one thing, but they need to stay out of busy streets. roads are for vehicles and sidewalks are for pedestrians

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

yeah saw you post about that in the tech bubble thread, it pisses me off, too.

the suburbs immediately around/within 128 are going to strangle themselves as they continue to build up more poo poo which cannot be served by the existing infrastructure. and as housing gets more and more ridiculous in boston we seriously need to offer better access to/from the city, better than just commuter rail (which can be p. lousy sometimes in terms of parking and highway access, lots of stations are really tucked away)

paging hp hovercraft, plz explain why it seems america sucks so goddamn much in terms of large public works projects. WHERE ARE MY TRAINS. WHERE ARE THEY.

they're all over the place but they suck because they have to serve everyone.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

triple sulk posted:

amtrak isn't getting the funding it really needs so the northeast corridor isn't getting the 30 minutes from philly -> ny trains until like 2040. dc to boston would be something like 2 hours iirc which immediately removes the need for a ton of flights

funding has nothing to do with it. they expanded the downeaster recently and they're gonna expand it more. the problem is the train litterrrallly cannot get up to speed because it stops every 12 miles. that's not hyperbole, that's how it works. if you got rid of all stops between Portland and boston then you'd get there faster than a car and that would be great and would require 0 new infrastructure.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

fart simpson posted:

concord trailways serves all my carless boston <-> portland needs. it's cheaper and not really any slower, plus if i time it right i can get all the way to bangor

concord trailways is absolutely faster than the downeaster cause it goes nonstop.

mishaq posted:

lol at defending the state of the northeast corridor with its 100 year old narrow tunnels everywhere

idk about the rest of the rails, but the downeaster is actually used enough to warrant expansion but its crippled by all the stops, not by infrastructure.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yard salad posted:

i commute on a bike because im not a terrified fatass that has to shield oneself in a living room on wheels, surrounded by every modern amenity at all times, the windows rolled up soundly to keep out all human contact

lol source your quotes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
wow that's an expensive subway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
streetcars are completely retarded

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just do elevated rail or subway. if you don't have the money for it your city isn't big enough to need it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cygni posted:

the downside of BRT in the states is that white/rich people hate buses, especially in some cities where they see buses as devices for subhuman pig people
that's because they are

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

if enough people take the bus there are less cars so there's less traffic busses would need to deal with :xd:

which would mean it would be better to drive a car which would be faster and more convenient than the bus what with all the reduced traffic

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that would be incredibly stupid

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
good public transportation is subway and elevated rail. roads are for cars and busses will forever be trash for the pig folk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao that's the worst of all worlds

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in this mythological universe where a bus that doesn't suck exists then yes im sure people use buses instead of sitting in traffic.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
sitting on a bus stuck in traffic is most definitely not better than sitting in a car stuck in traffic.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that 15% probably also came at a cost of 30% increased car traffic on the remaining lanes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

shagger was wrong

maybe if you like sitting shoulder to shoulder with stinky people a bus is for you. cars are infinitely more comfortable.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that 15% increase is also still only between 2 points that aren't the ones you want to start at or go to and the bus is still smelly and cramped.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if a bus/train car is totally empty, it's because there's a stinky person on board. so you're either shoulder to shoulder OR there's a horrifying stench.

fortunately the combination of the two is very unlikely. herd instinct for the win i guess

all of the buses are empty which makes the 15% increase pointless cause everyone is driving and you've made the cars less efficient.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
would still rather slit my own throat along with everyone else.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or more likely just get rid of the people mandating the taxes, not that they'd ever get into office in the first place.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

like most americans, i don't actually ride buses ever

i just want all the cars the gently caress out of my way

http://www.theonion.com/article/report-98-percent-of-us-commuters-favor-public-tra-1434

the onion, as ever, is 100% true
http://www.citylab.com/commute/2014/09/if-so-many-people-support-mass-transit-why-do-so-few-ride/380570/

the problem is every time they vote to expand or continue transit its always the worst kinds like buses.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
im fine w/ taxes and fees and tolls for good transit but buses are very bad transit.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like if you're a big enough city that you need public transit you can afford subway or etrains. otherwise you're kidding yourself about your size and everyone can just walk.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
You can get around Boston fine walking and riding the t. Maybe live in better cities?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

yeah, if my earlier network effect post didn't make it clear, it's very important to have transit stops within~250m of any given residence. that will always mandate the use of buses in anything but the highest density ubran core areas, but it's critical to making the system usable for the people who need it most.

i was just making fun of shaggar for saying everything is in walking distance of the boston subway

everywhere worth going is

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or maybe consider that steetcars are a bad form of transit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Progressive JPEG posted:

200k town in developing nation with cold winters and hot summers: off-street bike lanes and gigabit not a problem

I don't see any bicycle lanes there. only road and sidewalk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

more like :publictranspoort:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mishaq posted:

the northeast corridor definitely has the density

can't even repair the exiting aging tunnels and bridges though let alone actually build anything new however

lol the northeast corridor would never be able to build a high speed train because everyone would demand that it stop in their town reducing the maximum speed to 50mph.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Awia posted:

shaggar unable to envision a world where there is a slow train and a fast train on the same stretch

the maximum speed of the train is irrelevant when it has to make stops every 15 miles

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the Amtrak downeaster would be faster than a car if it did not stop between Portland and North Station.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cygni posted:

Bus Rapid Transit

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

shags already lives in this world, it's called maine

we have all of them and they're bad. the train could be good but it stops too much

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
haha there was a dude riding a recumbent bike out in the snow but it was like a weird taller recumbent bike and he had a go pro on lmao. bicyclists are the worst "people"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
on my Microsoft Lumia 950 running Windows 10 Phone for WIndows Phones QR code reading is so fast you don't even have time to align the code before the phone finds it and reads it.

• Locked thread