Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Farking Bastage posted:

That penalty was horse poo poo.

Nah, there is no way the defense was trying to call out to watch for a run when there were 6 seconds on the clock, Arizona had no time outs, and it was clear they were going to spike it to kick a FG. Smart heads up play if you don't get caught since the false start ends the quarter after the 10 second run off, but he got caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I don't really understand why it's illegal to shout something to cause a false start but it's not illegal to shout something so someone jumps offsides.

Team A is entitled to a fair opportunity to put the ball in play. If they want to have their count to put the ball in play be vocal, that is fine. If team B chooses to react to that count, that is fine.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah but then we get into situations like the Seahawks and their stadium that is designed to be deafening to opposing teams so they can't hear on offense

Used to be (potentially) a charged time out or a 5 yard penalty on the defense if the crowd got too loud. I don't remember ever seeing it happen, closest thing I can find is a video from a 1997 game where the referee gets on the mic and tells the crowd they need to be quiet so a play can be run. The league decided in 2007 that if they wanted to play games in front of a large amount of paying customers they should just let them be loud. A small sacrifice to make to get all that money.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

pasaluki posted:

I think the flag on Rex was a makeup call for the inadvertant whistle.
He wasn't even doing anything related to the play and wasn't interfering with the ref either.

He was in the white and in the way. Pretty safe bet the IW doesn't happen if he is not there and that he was getting a flag either way.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

More or less, yeah.

In possession or loose because fumble, backward pass, or illegal forward pass? You pick.

Losse because legal forward pass, free kick, or scrimmage kick? Replay down.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

ultrachrist posted:

Was at the bar so had no audio, what the gently caress happened during that pass? Did the refs think Brady was out of bounds?

My guess will be as good as anyone elses, but I think that he got distracted by Ryan suddenly being right there in front of him and had a brain fart. Rather than grabbing his flag he blew the whistle he had just put in his mouth. That or Ryan's presence made him lose track of the ball and for whatever reason he blew the whistle.

:rip: Steratore's crew getting the Super Bowl

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Athanatos posted:

Assumed Brady was throwing the ball out of bounds maybe

Very well could be that, yeah. Honestly think thats more likely than my thought that he just had a brain fart over grabbing his flag.

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 24, 2015

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

NC-17 posted:

Inadvertent whistle may have been a ref getting scared:

Also, in another fuckup the second White TD should have been blown dead.

Hughes was like 16 yards behind the LOS when that ball was snapped lol.

Obviously all of the misses are unfortunate ones but the White TD is the most interesting one imo because there's good room to discuss "How do we prevent this from happening again?", which is not a conversation the IW/ruling the player in bounds really has outside of "Don't." Chandler running onto the field is forever behind the play. You can see in that first picture that Steratore had just waved the U out of the way and is giving the Ready for Play. How do you catch someone trying to sub on that far behind the play? Gotta figure the wing on that side should be watching that sideline until Steratore says "Ready" over the mic or something, but he's in the process of giving that so even with that happening the H/L's attention will be back toward the line in this case. Maybe the U could also hold over the ball for another second to scan the offensive sideline for any potential substitute? I mean heck he is heading to his position which is in the general direction of where Chandler is, if he looks up he would probably see him on the field and realize "Hm, I should hold up play real quick." 999 times out of 1000 when a team is already lined up like New England is there aren't any substitutes to worry about, but the time they come it needs to be caught. Back judge or the side/field judge (depending on sideline) might should be involved on this one, too. That close to the end zone it will probably be pretty easy to find their key once the action starts so watching the sideline might help. :shrug: No easy answer to mechanics on this one (that I can think of, anyway) but it needs to be figured out.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Soothing Vapors posted:

So where are all those guys from last night's GDT who explained how we were all idiots and Watkins was clearly down inbounds now that Steratore's explanation was more or less psychotic and everyone with officiating experience in the known universe has said the opposite

Turns out a lot of folks who watch football don't know all of the rules because that rulebook is a monster to read, they just pick things up from announcers and extrapolate from there. Can't blame anyone for that but in pretty technical situations it can lead to the wrong conclusions.

e:

Soothing Vapors posted:

huh, I thought Mean Gene had been around for a lot longer than 2 years

Steratore has been around a while, but the HL who made the call that he was in bounds has only been around 2 years. (Fun fact, Steratore also does NCAA D1 Basketball)

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

TheBuckmister posted:

The rules are pretty precise so it matters a lot. NC-17 makes a good point but we need the NFL definition of simulated sub to see if it is correct. I'll see if I can find it tonight. Not sure what rule Intruder thinks the play should have been blown dead on.

Simulated substitution isn't defined, really. Past what NC-17 said, you have two instances where the word simulated shows up in the rules at all.

NFL Rule 5-2-5 Note posted:

Note: The intent of the rule [required substitutes to enter inside the field numerals] is to prevent teams from using simulated substitutions to confuse an opponent, while still permitting a player (or players) to enter and leave without participating in a play in certain situations, such as a change in a coaching decision on fourth down, even though he has approached the huddle and communicated with a teammate. Similarly, if a player who participated in the previous play leaves the playing field by mistake, and returns to the playing field prior to the snap, he is not required to reach the inside of the field numerals, provided that the defense has the opportunity to match up with him. However, a substitute (i.e., someone who did not participate in the previous play) is required to reach the inside of the field numerals.

NFL Rule 5-2-11, Unsportsmanlike Conduct posted:

Using entering substitutes, legally returning players, substitutes on sidelines, or withdrawn players to confuse opponents, or lingering by players leaving the field when being replaced by a substitute, is unsportsmanlike conduct. See 12-3-1-l. The offense is prevented from sending simulated substitutions onto the field toward its huddle and returning them to the sideline without completing the substitution in an attempt to confuse the defense.

If it looks like it's supposed to be a substitution, it's simulating one. You can make the argument that he never got in the numbers so he doesn't fulfill 5-2-5-a and never became a player but him running onto the field IMO is a pretty clear simulation of a substitution.

• Locked thread