Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

This thread posted:

Lots of replies

Ah! That explains it quite clearly. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Okay, before I pass out, here's what I hope is a short list:

Kotonoba Drive
From the guy who brought you the most relaxingingly depressing, yet optimistic take on a post-climate change world and "I really like planes". I only saw this mentioned like, two years ago so I figured I'd bring it up again.

It's a manga about a(nother) girl who works in a cafe and drives a scooter, Suu-chan, but the hook this time is that she ... gets lost in the moment. Sometimes literally. The art is as beautiful as we have come expect from Ashinano, and easily creates the sense of listlessness Suu feels in those moments. This is another great manga to lazily read on a summer afternoon. (Also, if you're here and you haven't read Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou yet ... what are you doing reading this post. Go read YKK instead.)

Neko Ane (Cat Sister)
Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but it's pretty good. A young man goes to be raised by his grandmother after he loses his parents. His grandmother asked her lovey old cat to be his older sister, and ... she obliged. It also has the fluffiest strays.

WARNING: can be slightly NSFW, as it does have some :ughh: inducing 'cat changes into human form, OH NO WHERE'S THE CLOTHES' panels.

Anko-San the Deep Sea Fish
I know this was mentioned in the last thread, but linking again because I find it very cute. Riding the monstergirl wave, it's a manga where mermaids live up on land with humans - It follows Anko-san, a Lanternfish and her friends. It's got a wonderful supporting cast of different mermaids (Shark girl is my personal fave), and it's generally pretty great.

It has some obligatory bath scenes, but it's mainly just cute instead of :ughh:.
Also, can confirm: the volume covers are great. It's super shiny and textured, a better quality cover than any other soft tank I have.

Custom Maid
I see it was mentioned in the anime chat thread last month, and though it's probably one of the least surreal ones here there's some :psyduck: surrealism in that the gist of the plot is: this maid can learn anything by pulling an all-nighter. Literally anything. And it's pretty strange. The rest of the manga is mainly just 'cute', so feel free to disregard this if you feel like it.

I saw Cool Kyoushinsha was mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm getting really tired, but I'll link to a couple of his(?) other manga(s?) that are on my reading list.

Furumapura
The 4-koma story of two high school friends, one an extroverted country girl, and one who only communicates through score cards (1-10, but they can be combined!). It's fun seeing the way they interact and how they communicate when one girl only uses her scorecards.

Mononoke Sharing NSFW
A very poor girl needs a room on the cheap, and finds one! it's just...

It's a fun read for the silly antics, but isn't really anything too serious. It's also (I think) where Kyoushinsha works out the urge to draw boobs. So be prepared for some boobs (especially chapter 10, even though the chapter gave me a new thing to try while swimming[SFW]).

Man, looking back on it I have to caveat a more of those than I thought as "Man, the cat loses its clothes but hey! What're ya gonna do! It's manga~~" and I don't know how that makes me feel. :suicide:

Ooh, one last quick addition even though i'm not positive it belongs here: I've only seen it mentioned once on the threads, I think, but Wizard's Soul: ~Holy War of Love~ is kinda surreal in that Magic: The Gathering is The One True Past-time in the entire world. And it's freaking GREAT and more people should read it. No caveats, full stop.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Kyoushinsha's art style is extremely recognizable. It's great

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Linnaeus posted:

Kyoushinsha's art style is extremely recognizable. It's great

They also have a pretty insane output, with like 10ish currently ongoing series.

Their full (pen) name also translates to "Follower of the Religion of Cool", which is pretty :coal:.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

z0glin Warchief posted:

Their full (pen) name also translates to "Follower of the Religion of Cool", which is pretty :coal:.

Haha, that's awesome

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter of Takagi-san, in which Nishikata finally asks Takagi for a ~date~ - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Karakai-Jouzu-no-Takagi-san/Ch-028-005?id=271426

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

New chapter of Takagi-san, in which Nishikata finally asks Takagi for a ~date~ - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Karakai-Jouzu-no-Takagi-san/Ch-028-005?id=271426

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!! :tviv:

According to the translator note at the end they've finally caught up so now we just have to wait for the next chapter to come out! Dang! I wonder if the magazine it's run in comes out monthly or weekly? It has a "monthly" feel to it.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Yeah, it's monthly. It's in Gessan, which I think comes out on the 12th each month.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
He found his spine!

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

JosephWongKS posted:

Aww. He's growing up.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JosephWongKS posted:

So Nishikata finally managed to somewhat surprise Takagi. Of course that only happened when Takegi led him by the nose to the conclusion but still. Also that was an extremely adorable chapter.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Ooh, one last quick addition even though i'm not positive it belongs here: I've only seen it mentioned once on the threads, I think, but Wizard's Soul: ~Holy War of Love~ is kinda surreal in that Magic: The Gathering is The One True Past-time in the entire world. And it's freaking GREAT and more people should read it. No caveats, full stop.

This is quite a nice list here! "Mononoke Sharing" is a little (a lot) on the :catstare: side since it's all apparently about the boobs fanservice, but I am so glad you mentioned Wizard's Soul. Translations for that one really need to come out more often, because I'm just dying to see the next ridiculous, terrible combo that Manaka will bring out next.

A new Torikissa (Bird Cafe) came out after a few months' delay.

To this I can only think of:

(from the first AD&D Manual)

And also quite possibly one of the most heartwarming chapters of Takeo-chan. Had me misty-eyed at that one final family scene!

If you haven't done so yet, it's worthwhile to check out the Takeo-chan author's previous work, Love Roma. It looks like it was brought over at one point, but since has long gone out of print. It's a romantic comedy drawn in that guy's unique, quirky style.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 25, 2016

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Our very own z0glin has been translating Wizard's Soul in the zoglin comics thread, but I believe he's been busy with Drinking Girls and real life.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

No one else seems to have picked it up (which I actually find a little surprising), so I'm planning on picking it back up for at least semi-regular releases.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

DrSunshine posted:

This is quite a nice list here! "Mononoke Sharing" is a little (a lot) on the :catstare: side since it's all apparently about the boobs fanservice, but I am so glad you mentioned Wizard's Soul. Translations for that one really need to come out more often, because I'm just dying to see the next ridiculous, terrible combo that Manaka will bring out next.

A new Torikissa (Bird Cafe) came out after a few months' delay.

To this I can only think of:

(from the first AD&D Manual)

And also quite possibly one of the most heartwarming chapters of Takeo-chan. Had me misty-eyed at that one final family scene!

If you haven't done so yet, it's worthwhile to check out the Takeo-chan author's previous work, Love Roma. It looks like it was brought over at one point, but since has long gone out of print. It's a romantic comedy drawn in that guy's unique, quirky style.

I have the new Takeo-chan open on my laptop to read when I get home :3:

Expect another Torikissa soon, the script is done. I think we just need to typeset and qc it, which will hopefully be done later this week (though I don't know Kennit's schedule). We've been kinda floundering since the leader of the group has been focusing on her thesis (which she just successfully defended!), and without her we just kinda ... laze about.
Also apparently this next chapter is SUPER :3:

I was a bit leery about posting Mononoke Sharing because it is all about the boobs, but people here seem to like Cool Kyoushina (like I do), so more CK is better! But that new sign-girl one is ... so cute.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think the sign girl one is kinda boring.

Much like actual reviewers it's always a 5 or 10.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

No one else seems to have picked it up (which I actually find a little surprising), so I'm planning on picking it back up for at least semi-regular releases.

Yesssssssssssss

:woop:

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

z0glin Warchief posted:

There's five volumes of it right? Is it completed?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

atrus50 posted:

There's five volumes of it right? Is it completed?

It is completed, but there are only four volumes.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I think the sign girl one is kinda boring.

Much like actual reviewers it's always a 5 or 10.

ehhhh i'm pretty sure there's at least another dozen chapters that can be made out of putting the character with enormous boobs next to the number ten.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

ehhhh i'm pretty sure there's at least another dozen chapters that can be made out of putting the character with enormous boobs next to the number ten.

if the cast was stronger you could maybe make the premise work for a longer run, but they're all pretty bland i think

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

It is completed, but there are only four volumes.

Aw bummer. That's so short! What the heck!

New School Live!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

New School Live!

i think 4-5 volumes is actually a good length for a nice story, thats still a ton of pages.

Since its a love story where cards are the setting instead of a card story where shes trying to rule the world I bet you can tell a really nice story with that amount of space and close it off neatly.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

DrSunshine posted:

New School Live!

Wow, Kurumi. :stare:

She loving murdered a guy. A guy who was probably going to kill her, but holy poo poo

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I was a bit leery about posting Mononoke Sharing because it is all about the boobs, but people here seem to like Cool Kyoushina (like I do), so more CK is better! But that new sign-girl one is ... so cute.

Yeah, COOL Kyoushinsha has a couple of odd, funny mangas. I just started reading the Sign Girl manga, and it's pretty funny!

Just thinking about it, she could communicate... "normally" if she just learned to do binary or hexadecimal!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, COOL Kyoushinsha has a couple of odd, funny mangas. I just started reading the Sign Girl manga, and it's pretty funny!

Just thinking about it, she could communicate... "normally" if she just learned to do binary or hexadecimal!

Except for with all the people who don't know binary or hexadecimal, which is the vast majority of people.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Which would probably make for a decent spinoff for CK.
E: to the people who think it's a one-trick pony, yeah, I feel ya. But I think it's less about the actual scoring and more about the actual communication gap between this really weird girl and the cool girl. Which I touched upon in the two latest chaps more than it is in the beginning.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

shiba shiba

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/shiba-occhan-r17843/

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
God drat why won't someone pick up dansan joshi, the first chapter is loving amazing.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:neckbeard:HOORAY NEW KURO!:neckbeard:*

*hooray not guaranteed

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Kuro is a good cat. I believe in him.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Kuro is a good cat. I believe in him.

He's doing the right thing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

a kitten posted:

:neckbeard:HOORAY NEW KURO!:neckbeard:*

*hooray not guaranteed

I knew this would happen. Gosh, that last panel gave me a chill. :ohdear:

Wizard's Soul WOOOOO.

Thanks, Zoglin!!

EDIT: Bird cafe. The head-patting scene was pretty great.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 30, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
That WS. Manaka's friends are the best. :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did you guys watch the Dagashi Kashi anime? Was it good? Did it add anything that we haven't already seen in manga form?

Well, at any rate, a new chapter is out!

EDIT: Say, ehm, this is a funny question, but after a good few years of being in the running, what do you guys think of this thread overall? I've done my level best to keep folks apprised when our favorite SDL manga update, but just sort of thinking in the big-scale of it, is there anything else folks want out of it? Something we could get some more actual discussion out of? What do you think of our selections and offerings so far? Do you think it's about time we did another round of votes for thread MVP?

It seems like this year a lot of them became anime or got licensed in English, which is pretty cool, especially ones like Haven't You Heard, I'm Sakamoto and My Neighbor Seki.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 1, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you're doing good man

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Davincie posted:

you're doing good man

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

kokkuri

http://bato.to/reader#76c56846dee39a35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yes, animate all the surreal daily life manga

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-05-02/saiki-kusuo-no-psi-nan-manga-gets-tv-anime-in-july/.101704