Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Two random tidbits about that chapter (not really spoilers but hey):

They've romanized it as "Succey", but it's supposed to be a play off her first name, not the succubus thing; it just so happens "succubus" and her name (Sakie) both start with "サキ saki" in Japanese. (In the JP the nickname is "サッキー Sakki-")

Vampirecat actually doesn't call the teacher dude Sensei, she calls him Sense- (センセー), which is basically just a looser/more casual pronunciation. Just another little bit of characterization.

(Not trying to pick at translation choices, they're totally fine, just thought some people might be interested in some of the more obscure details that get lost.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

According to a friend that lives in Japan, the difference is basically a harder end on sensei. So sen-sey (sensei) vs sen-seh (sense-).

Yeah basically this. Instead of properly enunciating the i (Japanese "i" always sounds like the "ee" in meet), she just drags out the final e sound ("e" always sounds like the "e" in bet). So instead of sounding sort of like "sen-say" it sounds more like "sen-seh". You're generally expected to pronounce things "correctly" in polite company/when speaking with superiors/etc., so a hardass teacher would definitely get on your case for pronouncing it the way she does. The fact that she says it that way (and only with him), and that he doesn't really care, is a minor but relevant bit of characterization for them both.

e; For the double consonant thing that video does a fine job, but it basically indicates a short pause (one syllable length) where you sort of hold the succeeding consonant sound. So, "Saki" would be two syllables and "Sakki" would be three; you'd say "sa," ending the sound with your tongue in place to make a "k" sound, hold, then "ki."

tldr; Learn Japanese so you can get the ~*~full experience~*~ when reading manga

z0glin Warchief fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 21, 2016

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Linnaeus posted:

Kyoushinsha's art style is extremely recognizable. It's great

They also have a pretty insane output, with like 10ish currently ongoing series.

Their full (pen) name also translates to "Follower of the Religion of Cool", which is pretty :coal:.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Yeah, it's monthly. It's in Gessan, which I think comes out on the 12th each month.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

No one else seems to have picked it up (which I actually find a little surprising), so I'm planning on picking it back up for at least semi-regular releases.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

atrus50 posted:

There's five volumes of it right? Is it completed?

It is completed, but there are only four volumes.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Yeah, totally free and everything. They only require an account to cut down on bandwidth costs or something because all the scraper sites were hitting their entire data base multiple times a day checking for new releases.

It's especially worth it for series that have multiple translations, as stuff like kiss manga will only have whatever version got uploaded first (often not the best version).

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Why did no one tell me the Hinamatsuri translation stopped for seven months :negative:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Because the Korean translations are still ongoing so I don't pay attention to English scans.

you get a pass

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I know the new guy, he can't get raws past 56, I think. If you want to help~

the next volume (11) comes out in about 3 weeks, so it'll be easier to get good raws when that releases (53 was the last chapter in volume 10)

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I mistook this for the other Gendai Majo _______ title until just now, so thanks for getting that cleared up for me.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

There's two of them?? With this and Flying Witch and probably a bunch of others, are we in a "witch daily life" boom or something?

So far as booms go that'd be a lot tamer than "younger sister incest" and "monster girls".

Heck, I'd say it's tamer than stuff like idols and shipgirls too. Bring on the SoL witches, I guess!

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

The second was not good

Yeah, was kind of surprised that got animated, especially over the various other series that basically cover that same concept but better and minus the fan service (ah, ).

That guy's works are pretty hit or miss, but I guess that's to be expected when you have like 9(!) ongoing at a time.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't even remember the manga being that bad about it but the anime just decided to centre itself around her boobs.

Yeah I think you're right that the manga wasn't particularly bad on that front, I just thought it wasn't a particularly interesting series in general (I gave it up after a few chapters, so I could be wrong) so I guess it doesn't surprise me they took it in that direction.

If they were going to adapt a "girl who can't help but help people" thing, Raika Days would have been a better choice imo (and is still ongoing at 20+ volumes so there is plenty of manga to convince people to buy with an adaptation). I guess that lacks the Cool Kyoushinsha star power though.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

I'm here to laugh at people who still need translations to read manga :smugdog:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Antitonic posted:

I heard Teasing Master Takagi-san is getting an adaptation, but can't seem to see anywhere that confirms it. Anyone better at manipulating internet than I am?

A quick googling suggests the author said a few months ago that there are talks of it getting an adaptation, but it hasn't gone anywhere yet (rumors say they're waiting until there's more material).

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

It's much more this:

chunkles posted:

Mangamorphosis by Franz Kafka

than this:

I hope it ends soon, and happily. :(

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

dordreff posted:

Does this one have more than one joke?

It's a serious psychological thing, not really a gag manga, though it does have some jokes.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Onean posted:

Interviews with Monster Girls

Dangit, and I'd finally forgotten they made this the English name! :bahgawd:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

I wonder if they were trying to riff on the Anne Rice novel? What's the original Japanese title?

Demi-chan wa Kataritai, with Demi being ateji for the kanji 亜人(ajin), basically a word for not-quite-humans (and is often translated as demi-human). It basically means "Demi-chan wants to talk," but with a nuance of them having specific/important things they want to tell [someone], not just idle conversation.

"Interviews with Monster Girls" is a bad title imo because 1.) it takes away the agency of the Demis that's present in the original title (they have something they want to do vs. "interviews with"), and 2.) a decent portion of the story is about fitting in and discrimination and such (the whole "they want to be called demi, not ajin" thing being an obvious example), so just flat out calling them Monsters in the title feels really out of touch with the themes and tone of the work.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I haven't watched the anime, and it's the English title for the manga too. I don't think a show having some fan-service means it can't also try to say things though, so I don't think that gif particularly matters to the argument.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

a kitten posted:

Oh jeez, i wasn't trying for an own or even an actual argument. I just saw the gif and since it's basically my first exposure to the show/manga the juxtaposition was funny.

Oh, oops. I guess I'm overly used to the "lol its anime who cares" response to this sort of thing.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Davincie posted:

that scene is in the manga too, first or second chapter

z0glin Warchief posted:

I don't think a show manga having some fan-service means it can't also try to say things though, so I don't think that gif panel particularly matters to the argument.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I feel like one could come up with a title that signals the monster girl thing without also being terrible, but then again these are the same people who felt this was a good change, so maybe not:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Are you really making GBS threads all over people for making the vampire who hates sunlight and avoids it at every opportunity not have a loving tan?

No, what burbo said.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

RME posted:

whats the other one

Jitsu wa watashi wa

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Why can't we ever have anything nice.

You mean like a Dungeon Meshi anime?

Because that might be happening.

Maybe.

According to rumors.

On 2ch.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Wait Rokurokubi ended? Curse you magazine readers for always being ahead of the game! :argh:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Holy shiiiit it's like they took off some time traveler's geocities page, that owns so hard.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i didn't get any of these references at the end of the new criminale, so if anyone would care to explain:

Yakisoba is Nichijou, Liar is probably Higurashi, dunno about the other one.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Oh, glad that's finally getting a translation. I'm not usually a big fan of food manga, but that one's fun.

Alien ("Alien" alien) girl is the best.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

a kitten posted:

Guess there's no harm in leaving it, but it's not what I thought. Got too excited and I have no idea what the heck this one is.

https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/836310949447495681

That's got a movie coming out in theaters in a few weeks, it's all over the TV here. I had it confused with Your Name for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Is that the same Kenji Kamiyama that wrote GitS:SAC and Moribito? He's got some solid writing credits in my book.

It is!