Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
You all are weird. We had a great chapter; and lots of cute Xenomorph, and the typical romcom confession undermining and instead of talking about that it's all about which site you read manga on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

new Hakumei to Mikochi
Trouble in the general store? No problem.

As someone who works with his family, I feel for that badger.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

As well as a new Eldritch Senpai
Just a normal date, like normal humans would.
and it ends with a "kiss"
Binged the available chapters. Was confused about the bandages, they now make a lot of sense.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of Dragon in the Kitchen
This time with the warning of not just eating anything forest animals leave on your doorstep.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
In hindsight, of course Japan would find a way to make 'The Birth of Venus' into an anime schoolgirl. Why did I ever doubt this could even exist.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Onean posted:

New House Husband, with the return of one of Immortal Tatsu's rivals, fresh from jail.
It's hard out there for a former Yakuza. Harder still when your Crepe skills go unappreciated.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Artificer posted:

Is this another one where the MC is going to get messily devoured?

Unfortunately, unlike Eldritch Girlfriend. This husband isn't able to avoid getting devoured.

But also this month we get another two chapters of the Horror manga "You will Hear the Voices of the Dead". First story has a decided lack of Ghost girl but second chapter brings back the Gothic Idol so all is forgiven.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 23, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Hakumei to Mikochi in which the gang builds a kitchen. And Hakumei learns a new side to Iwashi.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

https://twitter.com/sankakujougi/status/1056896413051715585

Oh my god. This is incredible - the inverse of Yakuza House Husband!
I'd heard about this purely because of the translator and/or artist changing the animal to match the pun. Like Japanese for 'snail' shares a character for 'nope' but we got antelope to keep the pun intact.

That's the kind of effort I like to see.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

Here's a treat. Another short story collection by Ryoko Kui, which had the first few chapters translated a couple years ago, is now released in full.

https://mangadex.org/title/18937/the-dragon-s-school-is-on-the-top-of-the-mountain

Kui loves to create some pretty complicated situations with hard questions that don't get resolved huh? Reminds me of the children's class from her other anthology that had to come up with a story about a race of rabbits and mice and it quickly blew out of proportions.

Like for the centaur stories, how would you handle that if you lived in that situation. The workforce is increasingly favoring centaurs for employment because they are model workers. Even going through college doesn't increase your odds of being hired and as a homo-sapien you are being pushed aside purely because of your species and the tendencies associated with them. The comparison to real life racial bias isn't lost here.

But then are the homo sapiens wrong for trying to tax businesses for hiring centaurs to try and dissuade an entire segment of the population from being displaced from the workforce? What about enforced retirement age since Centaurs also die younger? That's not fair to centaurs for just being centaurs. And even then, the story isn't very strong at giving humans a good point. We're good at lazing around and enjoying life but what else? Centaurs get their own train car but don't even really need it either, meanwhile humans are crammed into transportation purely because we don't have better means of getting around quickly unlike literal horse people.

It's a messy social situation for sure. I love it because it's food for thought.

Captain Invictus posted:

more demom at the link above

AU!
Demon mom is bit less complicated for sure although there's also stuff presented about the relationships between humans and demons. But man is the cast really positive overall. I dig that everyone has someone's back through everything.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

it's only just really started getting into the human-demon relationship stuff, outside of the resident human buddy. I dunno if it'll really dig into it or if it'll leave it at what it's already mentioned thus far, but it could get very dark if it wanted to(and hinted at) based on what it's mentioned about how the humans/demons issues were sorted out

I expect things to hit a peak again in the future. The landmine and demonitis episodes alone were somewhat grueling.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Jada continues to be stealth best character. Second only to Sen.

I've also had a chance to learn a couple games using Hanafuda cards. The only One I remember and have kept up with though was Koi Koi.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This author cannot fail to make me laugh.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Ran and the gray world is outstanding, though it has some...issues.
If memory serves, this one had Ran shapeshift into an older body, some guy falls in love with her. Then found out she's really some kid, but still liked her correct?
fake edit: Still a good series overall.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
"You cannot imitate a couple's intimacy" :zoro:
Husband showing he's no slouch either when it comes to assassins.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Kitsune Spirit

Fox Wife is best wife nobody can convince me otherwise.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
There is also a new chapter of Tokedase! Mizore-chan featuring yet another really dumb character living in the summer countryside.

RareAcumen posted:

Still waiting for the shoe to drop and show us that second gold kitsune.
If I'm not mistaken, the golden Kitsune isn't a part of this story, but another of the authors twitter projects. They both just happened to be in that picture and it's the best for showing off the black Kitsune.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Aww man, I was really hyped for friendly vs hardcore kitsune interactions.
It's not like it can't happen, but as far as what I've found on the authors twitter these two characters haven't met.
https://twitter.com/doitsuken/status/982504713777115136
https://twitter.com/doitsuken/status/1048869693828657152

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Because she already snapped once super quickly and ever since it's made super clear to show the bandages that restrain her in every shot she's in, and the supervisor hammering on her inhumanity constantly

It's really not subtle at all about it

I just think the kid is a little too understanding about things. Yeah she's cute and all and not understanding human nature is interesting. But she just tried to eat you, put a little distance between you two for a bit why don't ya? Instead he's more worried about having lewd thoughts sharing a futon.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
We got three new chapters of Single Demon Mom. Still adjusting to living with neighbors it seems.

Also, the author had a second series get picked up for translations. Sakura-chan dear the story of a vampire and salaryman being roommates.

It's only got 2 chapters but I like this pair.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'd also forgotten but we got the monthly releases of "You will hear the voices of the dead", Three chapters, one continuing the story of our Yandere serial killer who is finding herself of an even bigger plot unbeknownst to our Main character.

The other is a two part story about a new confectionery that is sweeping the country that can be described with the following smiley: :barf:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Wholesome is the right word, but man was I not ready for that gut punch.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i'm bummed yuutsu has not updated in so long. it's a perfect wish-fulfillment mang for weirdos like me.
It hasn't had an update since the first volume was released so I fear there isn't much left to translate even if it gets picked back up in the future.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I'd posted one on the last page as well. It's not super common, but it's out there.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I guess writers and readers don't want to have a story where the main character learns some lessons through hardship and adversity, then passes up on a life of luxury and magic to return home to their own responsibilities with renewed courage and newfound drive. Why do that when instead you can build up your own kingdom and have a slave harem? :shrug: I don't know what the climate of Light Novels and the full variety of "another world" stories were like in Japan prior to the mid-00's boom. But most of the shows I remember getting my hands on prior to that were pretty weighted towards the cast trying to get back to Earth. Or in some rare cases the means of moving between Earth and wherever else was treated as a revolving door and movement between the two was pretty casual (Digimon Adventure 02 comes to mind).

Now I think the most common hook is the Main character(s) dying and then being reincarnated. So no return trip and it kind of hammers home the escapist mentality these stories ooze.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

I think this is partly because it's increasingly obvious that courage and drive get you precisely gently caress all in and of themselves. Sure, they're great attributes, but people are finally starting to wise up to the fact that actually plenty of people work hard and endure deprivation resolutely and don't get the house with the white picket fence and the two kids and a dog. :shrug: Possibly it's a side-effect of cheap internet access making the stories of "underdogs who didn't come out on top" more visible, versus the time when the only underdog stories you ever got to hear were the ones where they ended up millionaires and made the news.

I mean this is pretty much true; spending your whole life working only to not get what you dream of, or attain great success. Then having someone moralize to you that sacrificing that 1 in a million chance at prophecy and success that you've attained by being pulled to some other world, just to go back to the mundane life you have in reality is a hard sell. Why would you give up riches, power, and glory just to work your normal 9-5? I'm reminded of a game I've never played but heard some things about, final fantasy tactics advance. Where the playable character and his friends get pulled into a magic book and he spends the entire game getting everyone to leave. Including his friend who is physically disabled but now has full use of his body inside the magic book. I don't know how it goes but how do you convince someone to go back to being wheelchair bound instead of staying in a world where reality is his bitch?

The only anime I think presents a legitimate reason not to linger was Now and Then, Here and There. Where the alternative to modern day japan is a blasted and hellish landscape.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Crasical posted:

Eeeeeh, the translator dropped Mr. Villain's Day off? I'm sad.

_anq's M.O has been to pick up a series, translate the first volume or until the raws run out, then hand the project off to someone else and pick up a new series. But everything they have picked up is great so I don't mind when the updates stop being daily.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Didn't realize this story was missing the archetypal gal/gyaru/trendy girl character.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

You know, I don't know why I didn't immediately realize why she would be excited to go to the beach. But that two page bit of her going nuts, jumping into the air, and turning into her vagrant form was the best. :3:

It's got to be a pain finding a pool big enough for her.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Cute cuddly head is better than deep sea murder head. Let's keep it that way.

Ibblebibble posted:

That chapter of Eldritch Senpai sure got more oddly sexual than it usually does.
The power of a beach episode.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

And tail! She had a lil' cutout :3:

We need a chapter of just tailoring clothes for different alien species.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Picked up.

Reminds me of Onideka with the whole "girl gets big when flustered". There's also this other manga I cannot remember the name for. Girls around the country are manifesting armor and the government is rounding them up to study them. And it ends with the whole thing being a metaphor for puberty or something.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
That would be it, kept getting Kill la Kill when trying to hack out a summary in a search engine.

Gloomy Rube posted:

I saw that one, I could not get into that romance, it was just so dysfunctional, and the story got weirder and weirder as it went on.

Edit: And from what I've seen of the kaiju one, it's a lot better written, gee whiz.
It never stopped getting weirder to be honest. I also fell off but jumped into the last chapter when I saw it posted and It ended with the two of them going into space after the power of love broke the FMC out of a statue she has become so at least it kept it's trajectory.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
That Dragon is all right in my books.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Onean posted:

If you haven't been reading Kumika yet, I think you're in for a treat. It's real good. :3:

:same:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kumika's release pace has sped up considerably. Not that I'm complaining.

narm00 posted:

In new Demon Mom, we visit the sandbox in the park.

And we've got a new one coming out, Our Lives After the Apocalypse, featuring a robot maid and a robot dog wandering the world after the end of humanity.
Will keep my eye on the apocalypse series.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
What would happen if a xenomorph became a Maid?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

New Way of the House Husband
A little grocery shopping when Tatsu runs into someone from his past.

just what was needed to spice up this story. I look forward to seeing more of this character.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
At last a manga that asks the age old question. "Would you a Cockroach?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Leraika posted:

Well poo poo, I just noticed that he had an alphabet thing going with the chapter titles. Definitely gonna give it a reread too.

Gave it a re-read myself and never noticed the chapter titles being alphabetical.

Carpator Diei posted:

Thanks, I would have missed that!

Honestly, Dowman Sayman (or Douman Seiman or whatever) is one of my favorite mangakas; his works pretty much stand alone in the manga industry, but they couldn't have grown out of anything else than that industry with all its strange and uncomfortable depths. They fit this thread really well - the fact that they exist at all is rather surreal in itself.

By the way, his other ongoing manga, Oddman 11, is also getting translated again (if you don't know it, try to not get turned away by the first page, as hard as that is). By this point, the reverse-Scott-Pilgrim framework has mostly faded out, and the protagonist has recently started dating one of the ex-girlfriends.
I've always likened Saiyan's works to Quentin Tarantino. Specifically stuff like his short from 4 rooms, or Pulp Fiction being pretty comparable to Voynich Hotel and the anachronistic nature of Melonchilia. He writes some really unique stuff that's hard to describe right now but they are always engaging. Even lesbian scott pilgrim is a great story.