Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Trihugger posted:

I read this years ago when I was mostly into Shounen battle mangas, because it's from the same author as Claymore. It blew my mind how much more I enjoyed Angel Densetsu. I wish it had an anime.

I really hope the author does another comedy, because he is way better at comedy than he is action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

His Cat manga is hilariously surreal, if only for the fact of completely ordinary life things being depicted 100% Junji Ito style.

I've been lax! I haven't posted all the neat stuff that've been uploaded since Christmas! Does anyone even follow Saiki Kusuo besides me??

PSI Saiki Kusuo - He hates Christmas!

Saiki Kusuo is released every week in WSJ, right? Which means translators are really far behind? (edit: Jesus it apparently has 15 volumes out in Japan, so it's super far behind in translations)

If so, it's a shame because that comic is hilarious and I also really like it.

edit: fuckin lol, that baby Kusuo

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 13, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

I would make a thread for it but I don't know how to pitch it in a non-spoilery manner while simultaneously addressing the elephant in the room of the premise being (at face value) an old man literally buying a young girl to marry her

I feel like it's not so much the "(seeming) old man buying young girl to marry" thing that I consider an issue (especially in light of what you end up finding out later regarding Elias), but it does kind of bug me when you have situations where a person (usually a younger girl) falls in love almost entirely because they were saved from a terrible situation by their love interest and have no other positive influence in their life. Like, in Chise's case Elias seems to be literally the only person she has ever become close to who seems to care about her, so she naturally wants to cling to that.

That being said, Mahoutsukai no Yome is super good and I don't think that what I described detracts from it much.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

I'm afraid I don't know enough about how Japanese folks pronounce things to tell, but how are things like "Sakki" and "Saki", "Sense-" and "Sensei", or "Yuki" and "Yukki" pronounced differently? They sound the same in my mind.

A good way to think of it is that Japanese words are made up of syllables (more accurately, things called "mora"), and repeated letters mean there's an empty syllable thrown in. So "saki" is two syllables ("sa" + "ki") while "sakki" is 3 ("sa" + syllable-long-pause + "ki"). Like, imagine you have a really fast metronome where each beat is as long as a spoken syllable. When you see a repeated letter, it's like you're pausing for that beat (in the case of "sakki" it would be the second beat). Or imagine you're saying "Saeki" but blanking out the "e".

Japanese is actually probably one of the most straight-forward and easy to pronounce languages I can think of, once you learn the basics. Like, in all but a few rare cases, you can 100% know the correct way to pronounce a thing from looking at its hiragana/katana. The only situations that I find difficult to pronounce more or less correctly are the Japanese "r" sound (which is sort of a cross between an r, l, and d) and certain sequences of syllables that can be sort of tongue-twistery to pronounce (like "shinjirareru" where it can be tough to say the last three syllables fast correctly).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 21, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

YES. It's about high time! PSI Kusuo is shockingly underrated, so much so that scans only come once in a blue moon. Hopefully this will bring more attention to it!

I've always been really surprised that Saiki Kusuo, a really funny manga that runs in Shounen Jump, is not scanlated while countless random yaoi doujins and what have you are.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elfgames posted:

ah yes teens, definitely strangers to sexual thoughts :geno:

Yeah, but even as a teenager I didn't imagine loving the girl I had a crush on literally non-stop.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Oh poo poo!! This manga is too realistic. :ohdear: Well done, Nakano, though. She finally grew a pair and stopped being such a doormat.

The only thing that's kind of not realistic is that teens their age would be confused about what even constitutes love (or more accurately a strong crush since no one really falls in love at that age). I think most people get a crush on someone by the age of 13/14 or so and isn't the cast of this comic at least 16?

edit: Though in general romance (or romantic comedy) manga often feel the need to have the love of the protagonist be their first love/crush, even if they're a senior in high school or whatever (often because there's the unstated assumption that the relationship will end up literally leading to marriage).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

But also this month we get another two chapters of the Horror manga "You will Hear the Voices of the Dead". First story has a decided lack of Ghost girl but second chapter brings back the Gothic Idol so all is forgiven.

Thanks for reminding me of this, I totally forgot it existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ugusername posted:

Death game Isekai thing updated: https://mangadex.org/chapter/502352/1
Protag is still the coolest.

This is so true. I've had this specific experience with at least two separate supervisors.

edit: lol I like how the demon world is basically characterized by sane workplace culture (and angels are...MLMs, apparently)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 25, 2018