Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqukWXviyew

Maybe cus it's late where I am, but I don't get it. Basically the only thing I got was the Beatles reference. Guess it's about the 70's??? Don McLean is a hack, is what I'm getting at. Ha, near rhymes! Also his voice is mediocre. Imagine if this was Bob Dylan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Im an expert on the song

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Jack Flash put a candle stick in his butt.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
im an expert on the movie (its about my life) :(

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*
i cant really tell if youre joking but "the day the music died" was when buddy holly, ritchie valens, and the big bopper died in the same plane crash

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I believe it is a somber eulogic etude for a musician he knew.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
It's the prototype for people who whine about how "music today is awful" except it's from the early 70s, which proves everyone has thought everything sucks forever.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
American Pie (the song) puts into context the emotions of one little boy on the day following the death of Ronnie Van Zandt, I don't really see what the problem here is. The jester he mentions is clearly Dana Carvey and the time the players couldn't take the field was in reference to Major League Baseball suspending some games following the attacks on the World Trade Centre.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
We were singin', "My my, this here Anakin guy
May be Vader someday later, now he's just a small fry"
And he left his home and kissed his mommy goodbye
Sayin', "Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi"

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
also music didn't die when that plane crashed, i'd rather listen to the screams/moans of a person who is on fire than 1950s rock. so if that killed music what it begat is superior and it was an event for the greater good.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA6gc_-JeRo&t=17s

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Moridin920 posted:

We were singin', "My my, this here Anakin guy
May be Vader someday later, now he's just a small fry"
And he left his home and kissed his mommy goodbye
Sayin', "Soon I'm gonna be a Jedi"

That was the first CD I ever bought. Got it from Best Buy.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
It's the same message as "Crocodile Rock" except where CR is light hearted and ironic "American Pie" is somber and sanctimonious.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Its about breaking up. You feel sad but you will come out stronger

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I like the song, it's a good jam.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I like the song, it's a good jam.

How is the beat? Can you dance to it?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Its also a christmas song if you really read into it

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Heres a song i cant makr heads or tails of 'the summer of sixty nine'

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Antifreeze Head posted:

How is the beat? Can you dance to it?

It's one of those where you bounce your feet and wave your finger, but you'll be entertained doing that the whole song.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Isaac posted:

That's a retelling of the Bay of Pigs invasion.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

i cant really tell if youre joking but "the day the music died" was when buddy holly, ritchie valens, and the big bopper died in the same plane crash

and their plane was the American Pie.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I'm one of the good ol' boys drinking whiskey and rye, ama.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
shantilly lace or however you would spell something like that was a good song by the "big bopper"

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
http://genius.com/3445357/Lulzguy88-fyad-made-me-mentally-ill-serious/Im-permabanned-poster-niggerstomper58

Heres the rapgenius page OP

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Lillian Chism was invited to go on the plane with them but declined at the last minute.

Lost Canyoneer
Nov 1, 2009
At least Chuck Berry wasn't on that plane. He's the only fifties rocker you really need.

Also, I've always wondered: How do you drink whiskey and rye? Rye is a type of whiskey. Those good old boys were drinking whiskey and whiskey, I guess?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Lost Canyoneer posted:

At least Chuck Berry wasn't on that plane. He's the only fifties rocker you really need.

Also, I've always wondered: How do you drink whiskey and rye? Rye is a type of whiskey. Those good old boys were drinking whiskey and whiskey, I guess?

it was a different time, they didnt understand the process. i wonder if there is a way to google the expression though :confused: now you have me curious!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lost Canyoneer posted:

Have you ever been outside your house to a bar or club? Its what you call it. If you want a strong vodka orange you say vodka vodka vodka orange. Hes just using 2 diff words because thats what they teach you in english class.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Here's a better song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaPkROwOzgA

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcjgJSqSRU

Wikipedia posted:

McLean not only approved the song but also has said since that his children have played it so much that he has a tendency to accidentally sing Yankovic's lyrics when performing "American Pie" in concert.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

Isaac posted:

you will come

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Isaac posted:

its a song about where he 69'd with his GF all summer and it loving owned.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

ShaqDiesel posted:

It's the same message as "Crocodile Rock" except where CR is light hearted and ironic "American Pie" is somber and sanctimonious.

I thought so but I wasn't sure so I listened to Crocodile Rock again and actually it's a p edgy and sanctimonious song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4cGqu2_GQQ

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Isaac posted:

The second to last line in the song is "Me and my babe in a 69" which is weird because you don't refer to years using indefinite pronouns.

Also, can anyone figure out why Norah Jones didn't come?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I dunno what's wrong with Norah Jones's boyfriend, but my girlfriend rides six white horses when she comes, if you know what I mean.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
it's about a child molester

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I don't understand the movies

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

two forty posted:

It's the prototype for people who whine about how "music today is awful" except it's from the early 70s, which proves everyone has thought everything sucks forever.

I never thought about it like this, but yeah, this is true

Smelly Bohemian
Aug 20, 2015

by Lowtax
It's about pie, that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Heres a real belly scratcher in my craw. What the hell is Rocket man about?

• Locked thread