Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Bobnumerotres posted:

it only gets a pass because it mimics one of the best games ever. the mandatory AI co-op shouldve gotten someone fired but it's still intact in RE6 lol

RE6 at least improved the co-op partner AI: they can't die, they don't use up your ammo, and they aren't quite as likely to empty a clip into the back of your head shooting at an enemy that's right in front of you

but that only matters if you're stuck playing it single-player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Re5 coop is great as long as you get along with your partner. I played it the first time with my bro and he really hated my whole "cautious sniper" approach to everything and we both died a lot. My SO didn't mind it and we had a way better time.

E: also whatever setting that lets u shoot thru ur partner is the best

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
don't solo 5. there's one boss fight that's rear end without incendiaries but the rest of the game is fine.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

It's a real turd.

It's a turd if you're a turd with no friends.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

To me its, its alright if you act like a turd
Cause i like

Birds

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Leon scott kennedy singing: crazy chainsaw guy is gonna mow me down

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

gently caress you.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Resident Evil 5 completely missed the point of why Resident Evil 4 is cool and decided what we all really wanted back was the grim tone and convoluted Umbrella garbage, also forced co op poo poo screws up the gameplay and Tetris inventory. In summary: boooo

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Code veronica was crazy umbrella poo poo but it was awesome.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

the arms dealer in RE5 is one of the best villains in the series. His voice actor loving nailed every single line

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Resident Evil 5 completely missed the point of why Resident Evil 4 is cool and decided what we all really wanted back was the grim tone and convoluted Umbrella garbage, also forced co op poo poo screws up the gameplay and Tetris inventory. In summary: boooo

Most shooters during that time made coop integral to the story and I think that's a bad move. Halo and dead rising 2 made player 2 a clone of the main character and it didn't get in the way of gameplay.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Evil Eagle posted:

Games that are only fun when co-oping with friends are bad, because any stupid garbage can be Fun With Friends.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah. See my recent hella trophies for the PS4 version of noted turd Diablo III.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Mercs is fun single player in RE5 at least. If it's a turd then there are some golden nuggets hidden inside.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Mercenaries is hands down the best part of 5 and 6. 6's combat is so fuckin good but it is attached to a ridiculous slog of a game. Play Mercenaries Every Day

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Code veronica was crazy umbrella poo poo but it was awesome.

Code Veronica has the best insane Umbrella nonsense. 2 is the most fun of the old school style.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think the only part of 6's campaign I really didn't like was the Ashley/Jake section. Mercs mode is pretty fun though for sure

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

ArfJason posted:

Leon scott kennedy singing: crazy chainsaw guy is gonna mow me down

If you're STARS and on a search
I've got ballistics for you to perv on

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
chris makes no sense in 6. it's like 5 didn't happen at all and he has a new backstory

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

I forgot to mention these posts rule :cool:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

chris makes no sense in 6. it's like 5 didn't happen at all and he has a new backstory
absolutely nothing in 6 makes sense. I just started Jake's campaign and he's just some bald dude in Estonia injecting giant syringes into his neck because he's heard they give you an energy boost and then you spend the first five minutes of the campaign getting rockets launched at you while Sherry screams at you about antibodies and the BSAA and Javoes and they barter about prices and units. Everyone involved in this game loved cocaine so much.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That sounds badass.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

absolutely nothing in 6 makes sense. I just started Jake's campaign and he's just some bald dude in Estonia injecting giant syringes into his neck because he's heard they give you an energy boost and then you spend the first five minutes of the campaign getting rockets launched at you while Sherry screams at you about antibodies and the BSAA and Javoes and they barter about prices and units. Everyone involved in this game loved cocaine so much.

jake wasn't a character before this with a backstory unless you count him being weskerspawn

that sounds like it owns though i haven't played anything but leon's campaign and the first 3 parts of chris'

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Jake's campaign is the best and most insane. It has an amazing final boss fight.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

Jake's campaign is the best and most insane. It has an amazing final boss fight.

The jake and sherri credits song is so drat funny. I love the final boss as well but I was playing as sherri.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I don't understand how to use Jake's combos but I loving love hammering on it in Mercenaries and laying everyone out even though it doesn't usually get kills

his fists are incredible in mercs. aside from the thing that's totally not the tank from left 4 dead, i haven't found anything he can't pummel into a fine mist

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got to the first fight with 90s grunge Nemesis and I just keep sliding past it while punching its shins and crying and I think Sherry has had enough of my poo poo

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Reading this thread, I'm like halfway through but I just wanna say the Christmas I got both this and Thousand Year Door is probably my most epic gaming holiday of all time.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Bump because I got the fuckin hand cannon and now I have legally completed Resident Evil 4 completely

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

codenameFANGIO posted:

Bump because I got the fuckin hand cannon and now I have legally completed Resident Evil 4 completely

Do the illegal 100% Infinite Rocket Launcher Only run.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

Saw this on Backloggery. Congrats

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

Do the illegal 100% Infinite Rocket Launcher Only run.

I wanted to fill up my inventory with all the hilariously overpowered infinite ammo reward weapons for a victory run but I'm not sure I can actually fit them all in the case lol

In Training posted:

Saw this on Backloggery. Congrats

Thank you it was this thread that inspired me to seal the deal :)

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

In Training posted:

Oh my god! The troll escaped from the mines of Moria!

I think the most badass thing I did in this game was kill one of those guys in one QTE.

In Training posted:

I think the blind guys are just about the best and most horrifying enemy in a game. Nothing else I've encountered really makes me just pause and calm myself. It's awful! It's so good!!

After the clock tower and goofy bridges there's a room with two of them. I just stood by the door, shot at one guy till he died and exited the room before the other lopped my head off. The door doesn't lock if you don't move away from it (maybe gamecube only?)

Concordat fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 17, 2015

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Hahaha

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

One of my top gaming moments ever was in the room with the two cranks. I was getting overrun by cultists and turned around and saw a dude on the other side of Ashley about to swing at her. I aimed the shotgun at her head, she ducked, and I blew the guy away. The timing worked out perfectly and it's probably the most badass I ever felt in a game.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

at the time, i felt like ashley was the first ai partner to not be a complete pain in the rear end, and that's why

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

you'd think if ashley could get out of the way of your gun, d-dog could do it ten years later

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

As a Millennial I posted:

at the time, i felt like ashley was the first ai partner to not be a complete pain in the rear end, and that's why

Has there been another AI companion as easy to cart around as Ashley? It was probably easier to program her to stay out of your way since she isn't supposed to get into combat, but even so it's been ten years and I don't think I've heard as much positive talk around another companion.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The MGSV companions are good as hell.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think it's because RE4 is just a really well designed game, the core gameplay is great and the scenarios they place you in are really well thought-out and are perfectly balanced around the player's capabilities, including Ashley as an aspect of that. It's genuinely one of the best games ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dropping in to say Salazar's right hand is a drat terror and Im so scare.

• Locked thread