Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Digital Fingers posted:

One time i killed a native dude and the cops came and just kinda shrugged at me and let me leave without even taking a statement

E: I bought icecream after, iirc

Same except the cop also made me a honorary sheriff and then we hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

Digital Fingers posted:

That was pretty cool of that cop, and also of you.

yeah he had a tiny lil donger and I was like lol, but its cool b/c im a top neway

we had a good laugh about it tho let me tell you

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

Blistex posted:

The original impetus for the investigation was the pig farmer in BC, and the cops didn't investigate any of the missing women that hard, regardless of race. The upcoming inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women will point the blame squarely on the much, much higher probability of native women to run away from home, or be murdered by people from their reserves colonization. The reason why you never hear about an inquiry into murdered aboriginal men (despite it being much higher than aboriginal women) is that it shows it's the culture on the reserves that is getting so many of these people killed.

The conditions on the one reserve I used to work at were pretty much.

People have kids in their late teens through to their late 30's.
The grandparents raise the kids and can't control them because they are too old.
The kids grow up never going to school and just causing trouble around the reserve.
They get into gang culture or prostitution on/off reserve, and they get killed.
Before that happens, those kids will have a ton of kids and they end up getting raised by their great-grandparents (because the kids grandparents won't do it), and the cycle continues.

At the First Nations high school I taught at, they had the tribal police and elders in all the time to counsel the kids. At no time was education or work pushed, it was always "learn the culture, that will fix everything!" or "nothing is your fault, colonization is to blame for everything!". So you had a bunch of kids who never even tried to do well, because, "colonization is going to keep me down!" so they never even try despite most companies jumping at the chance to hire qualified first Nations people (medical profession especially).

The first nations people in Canada got a really raw deal, and continue to, but horrible mismanagement of funds and family infighting (think medieval families trying to gain power and loving everything up on reserve in the process) are the current issues that are keeping first nations people down. The reserve I am talking about used to have a certain amount of money allocated to education, and it could only be used for education. As a result they had amazing facilities and saved up enough cash to build a beautiful school staffed with a ton of qualified teachers. Now that they have more "self governance" they've pissed all the education money away and the schools are 1/2 staffed with different community members who "almost finished university" or "did really well in high school" because it is cheaper than paying real teachers. That board of education is now millions in debt because all the money allocated towards the future of their children has been pissed away to buy votes for the next chief.

If you want to see how a reserve can flourish with non-corrupt leadership, check out Chief Louie out in BC. He's pretty much the polar-opposite of Attawapiskat Chief Theresa Spence who was caught stealing/mismanaging all her reserve's cash, and then sidestepped the issue by hijacking the Idle no more movement, which she pretty much killed all by herself.

hmm actually im pretty sure the problem is not enough tim hortons locations on native land.

the Canadian dream is a coffee in every pot and a lovely sandwich in every hand

• Locked thread