Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
When I noticed myself porking up I changed my eating habits away from "cake every day" to "no cake at all" by not buying cake.

Really when you're hungry you'll just eat whatever is in the kitchen. If you fill it with healthy food that you like it's hard to eat badly. If you have 12 boxes of snack cakes, ten pounds of chips, and a refrigerator full of nothing but chocolate and whipped cream take a wild guess what you'll be having for dinner. I primarily changed my eating habits by just not buying so much crap.

I also bought a wok and learned how to stir fry. poo poo's good, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

When I noticed myself porking up I changed my eating habits away from "cake every day" to "no cake at all" by not buying cake.

Really when you're hungry you'll just eat whatever is in the kitchen. If you fill it with healthy food that you like it's hard to eat badly. If you have 12 boxes of snack cakes, ten pounds of chips, and a refrigerator full of nothing but chocolate and whipped cream take a wild guess what you'll be having for dinner. I primarily changed my eating habits by just not buying so much crap.

Yeah, if you don't want to eat it don't buy it. However, that works OK for a single person and/or someone living with people or another person who have the same habits that they're trying to adopt and stick to.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah this it seems to me are some incredibly undervalued tips.
Like, to slim up, stack your fridge with the right stuff - always something to eat, but almost only diet-friendly stuff.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Noam Chomsky posted:

Yeah, if you don't want to eat it don't buy it. However, that works OK for a single person and/or someone living with people or another person who have the same habits that they're trying to adopt and stick to.
Phrased the other way around: another thing that's against you trying to be slim is your friends.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Cingulate posted:

Phrased the other way around: another thing that's against you trying to be slim is your friends.

For a lot of people this is true. Especially if you do tabletop gaming or other nerdy stuff. When I used to hang at the local comic/gaming shop and play games there a few nights a week, food would be ordered all the time and you have constant cash-wrap stank availability. It's really tough being around food that you can't have, especially if it's your favorite stuff.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Quest bars are delicious.

Broccoli and chicken are both delicious.

The problem with diets consisting of one of these only is that they are not personally sustainable. You aren't going to go the rest of your life eating only one thing, so when you finally break, what do you choose instead?

People need to learn how to cook a variety of healthy food, so eating healthy isn't a punishment of eating bland. I think a big part of this is spices. I feel like people don't experiment with spices enough, which can completely change a dish without adding any calories.

A good, well stocked beginner spice wrack and some basic instructions (or being adventurous if you can afford to have food be bad) can go a long way.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Asiina posted:

Quest bars are delicious.

Broccoli and chicken are both delicious.

The problem with diets consisting of one of these only is that they are not personally sustainable. You aren't going to go the rest of your life eating only one thing, so when you finally break, what do you choose instead?

People need to learn how to cook a variety of healthy food, so eating healthy isn't a punishment of eating bland. I think a big part of this is spices. I feel like people don't experiment with spices enough, which can completely change a dish without adding any calories.

A good, well stocked beginner spice wrack and some basic instructions (or being adventurous if you can afford to have food be bad) can go a long way.

I don't dispute any of that but I think a lot of people, maybe most people (and not necessarily you), believe that "lol just cook healthy foods and make them taste good" is useful advice for fat people. Yes, of course chicken and broccoli can be delicious but you need to actually know how to cook well in order to make them so. That's not something everyone knows how to do. Maybe "disgusted by chicken and broccoli" dude doesn't know how to cook so to him chicken and broccoli are just terrible forever. There is absolutely no one-size-fits-all advice or method for anyone. You have to figure out where people are starting in order to give them a map to the finish line.

It's part emotional and mental battle, part physical battle, and part habit forming and skills acquisition. I've told people what to do in order to lose weight - different diets I've done that have worked, different workout routines, etc. - and they've seen me do it and seen that it's worked for me. Most of them just never tried or tried and quit and I'm not surprised. Dieting and exercising enough to make meaningful progress just makes the rest of our modern life 10,000 times more difficult. Hell, I can only imagine if I had kids and I was trying to do it.

If it was easy everyone would do it and we wouldn't even be talking about it.

Also, I think a big reason we have an obesity problem is because modern life is filled with more food, more stress, less personal time, higher cost of living, and lower wages than times before. You have all these forces acting on you all the time and then you have constant availability of food and of course a lot of us use that as our outlet.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
To the surprise of no one, Gluten-free sports diets do nothing, study suggests.

I literally eat chicken breast and broccoli sometimes. When I'm lazy and/or short on time, the chicken is baked and broccoli steamed. It's the blandest possible option but is edible for a quick lunch at work with a bit of sriracha. With a bit more effort it's very easy to make something with actual taste too. Coat the chicken in something (cornflakes?) and sautee some random veggies with some spices and stock. Done.

While this stuff isn't magic, I found that for me it's difficult, if not impossible, to eat too much of this stuff - sometimes I'd have trouble finishing a larger breast event. And that's like 500 calories total, while I could easily finish off a big mac meal and then have a donut too. But of course the fatties can just eat 3 breasts, as was pointed out, but they can eat a lot of anything, like maybe even 5 heads of broccoli for 700 calories?? I don't want to even say it out loud, but the trick seems to be pretty simple.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 21, 2016

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Djokovic's gluten free diet is code for 'doping'

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Noam Chomsky posted:

As a guy who can eat a metric gently caress ton of food, I will tell you I can down 3000 calories of Pizza easy peasy and not even get close to eating the same calories for chicken. After a couple of grilled chicken breasts, I'm done. I can barely finish an 800 calorie ribeye streak that I order at one of my favorite places.
I don't want this to be a dick measuring contest, but you should just understand that people who actually eat a lot of food would consider 800 calories of ribeye steak to be a small portion (in fact I'm curious how your favorite place is cutting/cooking ribeyes to produce a 800 calorie portion). Maybe your math is just off, but people in general seem to be massively underestimating how much food a person can eat if they put their mind to it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

I don't want this to be a dick measuring contest, but you should just understand that people who actually eat a lot of food would consider 800 calories of ribeye steak to be a small portion (in fact I'm curious how your favorite place is cutting/cooking ribeyes to produce a 800 calorie portion). Maybe your math is just off, but people in general seem to be massively underestimating how much food a person can eat if they put their mind to it.

I was just ballparking the calories based on remembering the nutritional details. Also, I think we're talking about different types of people here. I am talking about the general fat person, like myself, and not Mongo the Overlord of Fat, Winner of Eating Contests, Devourer of Orphans.

The point stands that it's a lot loving harder to down 1000 calories of grilled steak or chicken than it is to down 1000 calories of Pizza. I think people are underestimating just how many calories are in things like Pizza or Pasta and just how easy it is to overeat them.

But, you know, let's all pretend fat folks are getting fat off of grilled, lean steak and chicken rather than candy, ice cream, pizza rolls, cheetos, mountain dew, tacos and pizza, because one time Fishmech saw someone in his school cafeteria gorging on grilled chicken.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Noam Chomsky posted:

I don't dispute any of that but I think a lot of people, maybe most people (and not necessarily you), believe that "lol just cook healthy foods and make them taste good" is useful advice for fat people. Yes, of course chicken and broccoli can be delicious but you need to actually know how to cook well in order to make them so. That's not something everyone knows how to do. Maybe "disgusted by chicken and broccoli" dude doesn't know how to cook so to him chicken and broccoli are just terrible forever. There is absolutely no one-size-fits-all advice or method for anyone. You have to figure out where people are starting in order to give them a map to the finish line.

I don't think it's easy and I'm not saying it glibly that fatties just need to learn how to cook. I'm saying that more education about cooking can go a long way to helping people eat healthy without thinking that food has to be boring or limited.

I remember trying to lose weight myself and being terrified to eat anything because "OMG everything has calories it will all make me fat, I can only have this one low calorie thing" when no, eating a variety of food that tastes good is totally possible. Learning that low calorie cooking can be both easy and delicious opens a lot of doors and helps dispel the eat only one thing diets people fall victim to.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Asiina posted:

I don't think it's easy and I'm not saying it glibly that fatties just need to learn how to cook. I'm saying that more education about cooking can go a long way to helping people eat healthy without thinking that food has to be boring or limited.

I remember trying to lose weight myself and being terrified to eat anything because "OMG everything has calories it will all make me fat, I can only have this one low calorie thing" when no, eating a variety of food that tastes good is totally possible. Learning that low calorie cooking can be both easy and delicious opens a lot of doors and helps dispel the eat only one thing diets people fall victim to.

Agreed.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

I was just ballparking the calories based on remembering the nutritional details. Also, I think we're talking about different types of people here. I am talking about the general fat person, like myself, and not Mongo the Overlord of Fat, Winner of Eating Contests, Devourer of Orphans.

The point stands that it's a lot loving harder to down 1000 calories of grilled steak or chicken than it is to down 1000 calories of Pizza. I think people are underestimating just how many calories are in things like Pizza or Pasta and just how easy it is to overeat them.

But, you know, let's all pretend fat folks are getting fat off of grilled, lean steak and chicken rather than cheetos, mountain dew, tacos and pizza, because one time Fishmech saw someone in his school cafeteria gorging on grilled chicken.
I mean yes, whatever platonic ideal of pizza you have in your head is probably less calorie dense than whatever platonic ideal of chicken you have in your head, actual preparations will vary. The point is if your arguing that it's hard to overeat certain foods while simultaneously claiming to be able to eat a large amount of food while also saying it's hard for you to eat a small amount of food your argument has a problem. If you had something other than your anecdote about how much steak or chicken you personally eat you might be ok, but right now you're claiming to be an authority when you transparently aren't.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

I mean yes, whatever platonic ideal of pizza you have in your head is probably less calorie dense than whatever platonic ideal of chicken you have in your head, actual preparations will vary. The point is if your arguing that it's hard to overeat certain foods while simultaneously claiming to be able to eat a large amount of food while also saying it's hard for you to eat a small amount of food your argument has a problem. If you had something other than your anecdote about how much steak or chicken you personally eat you might be ok, but right now you're claiming to be an authority when you transparently aren't.

I guess you don't understand what I'm saying and instead, like Fishmech, just want to be pedantic in order to win an argument on the internet, or at least make the other people give up trying to disagree with you.

My assertion is that it is easier to, and more likely that you will, eat 1000 calories of pizza or pasta - let's say from Pizza Hut, for the sake of argument - before you'll ever do the same with spinach, grilled chicken, etc.

If you think people are getting fat from eating grilled chicken and broccoli you're a loving idiot and not worth talking to. gently caress you; I'm out.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-200-calories-look-like.htm

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 21, 2016

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

I guess you don't understand what I'm saying and instead, like Fishmech, just want to be pedantic in order to win an argument on the internet, or at least make the other people give up trying to disagree with you.

My assertion is that it is easier to, and more likely that you will, eat 1000 calories of pizza or pasta - let's say from Pizza Hut, for the sake of argument - before you'll ever do the same with spinach, grilled chicken, etc.
If this is your actual assertion why are you replying to me? I understand calorie density is a concept that exists and have directly stated so. My assertion is you don't understand, at a minimum, either how calorie dense specific foods are, or how much people routinely eat. You're also flagrantly ignoring the health halo effect, though that's not directly relevant if you're being honest when you say you aren't trying to assert anything more than that calorie density is a valid concept, and not anything about how people actually eat food.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

If this is your actual assertion why are you replying to me? I understand calorie density is a concept that exists and have directly stated so. My assertion is you don't understand, at a minimum, either how calorie dense specific foods are, or how much people routinely eat. You're also flagrantly ignoring the health halo effect, though that's not directly relevant if you're being honest when you say you aren't trying to assert anything more than that calorie density is a valid concept, and not anything about how people actually eat food.

I doubt it since you seem to be trying to disagree with me, for some reason. I guess you have an issue with someone talking about their personal experience and the personal experiences of those they know struggling with weight lost since it seems to conflict with the special knowledge that you are claiming to. I honestly don't know why the gently caress you even replied to me or what you're trying to disagree with but, welcome to my ignore list, friendo. :)

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

I doubt it since you seem to be trying to disagree with me, for some reason. I guess you have an issue with someone talking about their personal experience and the personal experiences of those they know struggling with weight lost since it seems to conflict with the special knowledge that you are claiming to. I honestly don't know why the gently caress you even replied to me or what you're trying to disagree with but, welcome to my ignore list, friendo. :)
I have a problem with someone talking about their personal experience when their personal experience is demonstrably wrong. Like I was expecting you to say "Whoops, I wrote 800, but I really meant 2000" or "I live in Europe and that is a lot by my regional standards" or "I was lying for rhetorical effect", because 800 isn't in the ball park. I wasn't expecting you to assert that calorie density exists. Let's take a look at a local steak restaurant I enjoy: John Howie.
http://johnhowiesteak.blob.core.windows.net/menu/Dinner.pdf?635825528961203591
Their ribeye comes aged either 28 days or 42 days, both are a 16 oz portion. Let's note here we're not talking about adding any sauces or sides which would be the normal experience.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=calories+in+16+oz+of+ribeye 1081 calories average with a range of 930-1202
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/texas-roadhouse-16-oz-ribeye-steak-37650352 1240
http://www.sparkpeople.com/calories-in.asp?food=ribeye 1268
In case you think that's intended to be shared, John Howie also serves a 40oz porterhouse "Tableside for two".

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
everyone ITT needs to post their height and weight

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

twodot posted:

I have a problem with someone talking about their personal experience when their personal experience is demonstrably wrong. Like I was expecting you to say "Whoops, I wrote 800, but I really meant 2000" or "I live in Europe and that is a lot by my regional standards" or "I was lying for rhetorical effect", because 800 isn't in the ball park. I wasn't expecting you to assert that calorie density exists. Let's take a look at a local steak restaurant I enjoy: John Howie.
Their ribeye comes aged either 28 days or 42 days, both are a 16 oz portion. Let's note here we're not talking about adding any sauces or sides which would be the normal experience.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=calories+in+16+oz+of+ribeye 1081 calories average with a range of 930-1202
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/texas-roadhouse-16-oz-ribeye-steak-37650352 1240
In case you think that's intended to be shared, John Howie also serves a 40oz porterhouse "Tableside for two".
a loving lb of beef is a lot and far more than a serving is in any other country and almost any restaurant that isn't dedicated to give people cardiac disease so what's your point? Are you aware a burger is over 3k calories see: http://www.heartattackgrill.com/

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

JFairfax posted:

everyone ITT needs to post their height and weight

Well, I'm 6' and I think 160/170 right now. Haven't been weighed but I don't look fat so I'm not concerned with the exact number.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Mr. Wookums posted:

a loving lb of beef is a lot and far more than a serving is in any other country and almost any restaurant that isn't dedicated to give people cardiac disease so what's your point? Are you aware a burger is over 3k calories see: http://www.heartattackgrill.com/
I understand that a pound of beef is far more than a serving in many other countries (thus my "I live in Europe and that is a lot by my regional standards" comment). Comparing John Howie and Heart Attack Grill is dumb though. 16 oz is their lowest (only) ribeye portion. The smallest burgers at Heart Attack Grill are no worse than burgers elsewhere. Further 16 oz is the normal ribeye portion at high end steak houses locally to me at least.
http://www.themetropolitangrill.com/menus/dinner/
http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/menu-listing/dinner#main-courses (This is actually a bone-in 22 oz)
A pound of beef is a ridiculous amount of food, but if people think eating a pound of beef is a heroic feat they just don't understand how much some people eat. (Note: I was able to find two 14 oz ribeyes both of which are served with either French fries or mashed potato, and several places that didn't list weights)
edit:
Thinking about it, this comparison isn't as dumb as I thought, but I still think it doesn't do you any favors. This sort of steak house is absolutely a sort of place that people go specifically to get large amounts of food that's true. The average steak size might be significantly lower accounting for other sorts of restaurants/home cooking, but that's not relevant to the point. If you say "I can eat a lot of food, but I can barely get through 2/3 of a standard portion from a place that specifically serves people who eat a lot" or "I can eat a lot of food, but the double at Heart Attack Grill is plenty for me!" you have the same problem. The main difference (aside from quality) is that at certain point the Heart Attack Grill's menu becomes a joke, but John Howie offering a $94 40oz Porterhouse isn't a joke (though it does appear to be an upsell tactic).

twodot fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 22, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Noam Chomsky posted:

As a guy who can eat a metric gently caress ton of food, I will tell you I can down 3000 calories of Pizza easy peasy and not even get close to eating the same calories for chicken. After a couple of grilled chicken breasts, I'm done. I can barely finish an 800 calorie ribeye streak that I order at one of my favorite places.

Also, LOL @ "keto nuts." It's worked for me before and it's working for me now. There's no evidence that it doesn't work for most people. There are hundreds and hundreds of people who it's worked out great for. I've had blood work done multiple times while on the diet and everything's always pretty perfect. But, if being a "nut" means I get to lose 100 lbs., much easier than if I was doing a high carb diet, then I'm content to be a "nut." They also use the diet to sometimes treat seizures and depression as well.

I know your objective/gimmick is to use your copious amount of spare time to be as contrarian and pedantic as possible, so that you can get other people to waste their time. So, I'm not going to assume that I'll be able to say anything to change your mind. However, again, you just don't know what you are talking about and you need to do more research. You won't, though, because you're the smartest kid in America and your gimmick is to stake out a position and then sit there, forever, while everyone wastes their life arguing with you.

So yeah, you're some guy who's so special that you can happily eat thousands of calories of pizza everyday. So why are you so flabbergasted by some guy being the same but for chicken?

And keto doesn't work at all for millions of people. And it's absolutely deadly for a lot of people because if you already have liver, kidney, or other problems it can grossly aggravate it. Only nutbars advocate it for everyone, hence, you're a nutbar.

This isn't a "gimmick". You people just keep blurting out stupid diet advice bsed on nothing more really then "well this works for me so therefore everyone works the same", more or less. Stop whining about it's so mean to disagree with you, Pizza Hoover, whose weakness is apparently chicken breast. It's amazing that you think "just eat less, there's no need for doing any specific diet" is some ludicrous position instead of what the weight of all evidence points to.

Cingulate posted:

Well if you read me as claiming chicken breast inherently makes you slim, then I can understand why you'd say I'm wrong.

Because you repeatedly say "if you eat chicken breast you won't get fat", sometimes saying with lettuce, sometimes saying with broccoli, sometimes on its own. loving duh. If you don't want to be characterized that way, then stop spitting it out every 4 posts.

Noam Chomsky posted:

But, you know, let's all pretend fat folks are getting fat off of grilled, lean steak and chicken rather than candy, ice cream, pizza rolls, cheetos, mountain dew, tacos and pizza, because one time Fishmech saw someone in his school cafeteria gorging on grilled chicken.

Ah yes, let's just take your weird beliefs seriously that everyone can eat a ton of pizza in a sitting, but it's completely impossible that people eat pounds of meat. :rolleyes:

Meat being lean means absolutely nothing about whether people can and do eat a ton of it. Belief that that even works that way is part of what leads to people continuing to overeat!

Mr. Wookums posted:

It's not more than they serve in Argentina, or Australia, or New Zealand, or Canada, or England. People need to stop idolizing foreign countries which are often just as fat as America, or very close.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

So yeah, you're some guy who's so special that you can happily eat thousands of calories of pizza everyday. So why are you so flabbergasted by some guy being the same but for chicken?

And keto doesn't work at all for millions of people. And it's absolutely deadly for a lot of people because if you already have liver, kidney, or other problems it can grossly aggravate it. Only nutbars advocate it for everyone, hence, you're a nutbar.

This isn't a "gimmick". You people just keep blurting out stupid diet advice bsed on nothing more really then "well this works for me so therefore everyone works the same", more or less. Stop whining about it's so mean to disagree with you, Pizza Hoover, whose weakness is apparently chicken breast. It's amazing that you think "just eat less, there's no need for doing any specific diet" is some ludicrous position instead of what the weight of all evidence points to.

Because you repeatedly say "if you eat chicken breast you won't get fat", sometimes saying with lettuce, sometimes saying with broccoli, sometimes on its own. loving duh. If you don't want to be characterized that way, then stop spitting it out every 4 posts.

Ah yes, let's just take your weird beliefs seriously that everyone can eat a ton of pizza in a sitting, but it's completely impossible that people eat pounds of meat. :rolleyes:

Meat being lean means absolutely nothing about whether people can and do eat a ton of it. Belief that that even works that way is part of what leads to people continuing to overeat!

It's not more than they serve in Argentina, or Australia, or New Zealand, or Canada, or England. People need to stop idolizing foreign countries which are often just as fat as America, or very close.

So, keto not working for people with pre-existing liver and kidney problems means it doesn't work for anyone and it didn't work for me? There are millions of people for whom it has and does work. I'm not sure why you have an axe to grind with it. I would say you're the nut since you're being hyper aggressive about a particular diet that was the only thing that ended up working for me as a plateau breaker after I had lost 50 lbs. doing traditional dieting and just stalled there and felt like crap.

Also, you find it hard to believe someone could eat a large pizza by themselves in a sitting? I've done it and friends of mine have done it. Also, never did I say I've done it every day or that I do it now. What about that means that I don't know what I'm talking about?

Just face it. People aren't getting fat off of grilled chicken and broccoli. It's certainly not impossible to overeat grilled chicken and broccoli and then gain weight doing so but it's highly irregular and unlikely that it's what has led to someone becoming fat. It's OK, you can admit that you're wrong sometimes but you won't because you're Fishmech and you've been probated and banned tons of times for being a pedantic dipshit, which is totally your gimmick and we both know it - you do it all day in different threads. It's like a hobby and/or game for you. An ARG where you see how much time you can get everyone to waste on you.

"Eat less" is not good dieting advice. It's dumb dieting advice skinny people give to fat people. The connotation is "lol dumbass why not just eat less?!?! It's easy!"

Also, I never said it was impossible for people to eat pounds of meat or whatever it is you're saying. I am saying it's easier to mow through 1000 calories of things like pizza, pasta, etc. than it is to do the same with lean meats.

But, I totally get it, you just want to win and be right and no one's experience matters. One time you saw some fat guy eat a ton of chicken somewhere and thought to your idiot self "Ah, surely, that is why that man is fat. That must be why all people are fat! I hold the secret!"

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

LOL! So, you have a problem with me getting the calories wrong?! Holy poo poo. So, the steak I get is usually about 1000 calories. So, what? gently caress off, man.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

LOL! So, you have a problem with me getting the calories wrong?! Holy poo poo. So, the steak I get is usually about 1000 calories. So, what? gently caress off, man.
I'm surprised your surprised that my issue is you getting the calories wrong:

twodot posted:

I specifically said your calorie count didn't make any sense for someone who actually eats a lot. Even 1000 is not a lot comparatively (also stop measuring steaks in calories, that just obfuscates what you're actually eating). Being able to get the calorie count correct is critical to understanding whether continuing to eat a lot of less calorie dense food (again assuming you even succeed at this due to ignorance and health halo effect) is effective at losing weight. Underestimating a meal by 200 calories 3 meals a day nets you a pound of fat a week.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

What you seem to hear: "If what you eat includes chicken breast, becoming fat is guaranteed to not happen."

This is not what is being said.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

twodot posted:

I'm surprised your surprised that my issue is you getting the calories wrong:

I specifically said your calorie count didn't make any sense for someone who actually eats a lot. Even 1000 is not a lot comparatively (also stop measuring steaks in calories, that just obfuscates what you're actually eating). Being able to get the calorie count correct is critical to understanding whether continuing to eat a lot of less calorie dense food (again assuming you even succeed at this due to ignorance and health halo effect) is effective at losing weight. Underestimating a meal by 200 calories 3 meals a day nets you a pound of fat a week.

I still don't know what you're trying to say or what you're disagreeing with.

I said I'm capable of eating a lot and I have eaten a lot in the past and that's one of the reasons I was fat and regained all my weight after I'd lost it. You're not giving me any new information here. I also don't know why you think I guesstimate my calories because I was throwing numbers into one forum post about steak vs. pizza and I couldn't find the exact ounces or calorie count for the example steak I usually get when and if I do, which is not often. You're being overly pedantic and fixating on one number in one post to conclude that I know nothing. Are you a Fishmech alt?

Also, re: chicken vs. pizza

That's 6.25 lbs of chicken compared to a large pizza. It's much easier to eat a large pizza in a sitting vs. 6.25 lbs. of chicken and if you don't think so you're living in a loving dream world. Also, if you were eating 6.25 lbs. of chicken you probably wouldn't eat it all at once if you even ate all of it. However, I have eaten a whole pizza in one sitting and gone on to eat more later on in the day and I've known a lot of people who have done the same. But, nevermind, I am the guy who doesn't know anything about anyone's eating habits. L8r dudes.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

I still don't know what you're trying to say or what you're disagreeing with.

I said I'm capable of eating a lot and I have eaten a lot in the past and that's one of the reasons I was fat and regained all my weight after I'd lost it. You're not giving me any new information here. I also don't know why you think I guesstimate my calories because I was throwing numbers into one forum post about steak vs. pizza and I couldn't find the exact ounces or calorie count for the example steak I usually get when and if I do, which is not often. You're being overly pedantic and fixating on one number in one post to conclude that I know nothing. Are you a Fishmech alt?
Well now that you've explained the discrepancy between thinking you eat a lot, but failing to eat a lot of steak (you are terrible at estimating calories and also still don't eat all that much), I'm saying you're the poster child for why eating less calorie dense food is not in general an effective strategy, because people are terrible at estimating calories (and for like the third time, are subject to things like the health halo effect which makes it not at all obvious that choosing less calorie dense foods leads to less calorie dense meals (edit: and also explains why your pizza v chicken comparison is worthless and something I already conceded)). People who are good at estimating calories don't need to be told to eat less calorie dense food, because they already know which foods are more or less calorie dense.

I wouldn't need to be pedantic if you would just fix your mistakes instead of redirecting into tautologies. I'm fixating on that one mistake, because successfully avoiding that mistake is critical to this entire strategy. (edit: Unless your actual strategy is "just eat only plain chicken")

twodot fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 22, 2016

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

It's amazing that you think "just eat less, there's no need for doing any specific diet" is some ludicrous position

Personally, I don't think it's ludicrous. It is, however, incomplete scientifically and infective psychologically.

It's a good start, and one that it seems everyone -every single person- in the thread agrees with. It's just incomplete and therefore, as it sits, poor advice.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I feel like you two are talking around each other and aren't actually disagreeing.

Eating a whole pizza in one sitting is easier than eating 6lbs of chicken in one sitting. This is true.

If you misjudge the calories in a portion then you are not accurately judging how much you are eating, and can easily go over any calorie budget you may give yourself. This is also true.

Just because you eat a lot or have lost a lot or have always been rail thin, doesn't mean that you are a perfect accurate measure of the number of calories in an item. Ballparking calories can be dangerous to weight loss since it's really easy to underestimate what you are consuming. That said, if you have a little more of something that has a lot of calories per weight then you'll be further off from your goal then if you misjudge something that has fewer calories per weight.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Asiina posted:

I feel like you two are talking around each other and aren't actually disagreeing.

Eating a whole pizza in one sitting is easier than eating 6lbs of chicken in one sitting. This is true.
I don't think I'm talking around this, I've explicitly conceded it and pointed out why it's not a useful thing to say.

quote:

Just because you eat a lot or have lost a lot or have always been rail thin, doesn't mean that you are a perfect accurate measure of the number of calories in an item. Ballparking calories can be dangerous to weight loss since it's really easy to underestimate what you are consuming. That said, if you have a little more of something that has a lot of calories per weight then you'll be further off from your goal then if you misjudge something that has fewer calories per weight.
This is only important if you're similarly accurate with regards to knowing how much something weighs versus knowing how much something has calories per pound. Given the relative abundance of scales compared to calorimeters, I think people are substantially better at estimating weights, especially with regards to foods they commonly eat. It's essentially impossible to screw up "If you eat a 10 oz bag of chips, eat the 5 oz bag of chips instead". Whereas it's quite easy to see baked chips and both possibly incorrectly think that it has less calories and that it gives you license to eat the baked chips AND something else.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Noam Chomsky posted:

So, keto not working for people with pre-existing liver and kidney problems means it doesn't work for anyone and it didn't work for me? There are millions of people for whom it has and does work. I'm not sure why you have an axe to grind with it. I would say you're the nut since you're being hyper aggressive about a particular diet that was the only thing that ended up working for me as a plateau breaker after I had lost 50 lbs. doing traditional dieting and just stalled there and felt like crap.

Also, you find it hard to believe someone could eat a large pizza by themselves in a sitting? I've done it and friends of mine have done it. Also, never did I say I've done it every day or that I do it now. What about that means that I don't know what I'm talking about?

Just face it. People aren't getting fat off of grilled chicken and broccoli. It's certainly not impossible to overeat grilled chicken and broccoli and then gain weight doing so but it's highly irregular and unlikely that it's what has led to someone becoming fat. It's OK, you can admit that you're wrong sometimes but you won't because you're Fishmech and you've been probated and banned tons of times for being a pedantic dipshit, which is totally your gimmick and we both know it - you do it all day in different threads. It's like a hobby and/or game for you. An ARG where you see how much time you can get everyone to waste on you.

"Eat less" is not good dieting advice. It's dumb dieting advice skinny people give to fat people. The connotation is "lol dumbass why not just eat less?!?! It's easy!"

Also, I never said it was impossible for people to eat pounds of meat or whatever it is you're saying. I am saying it's easier to mow through 1000 calories of things like pizza, pasta, etc. than it is to do the same with lean meats.

But, I totally get it, you just want to win and be right and no one's experience matters. One time you saw some fat guy eat a ton of chicken somewhere and thought to your idiot self "Ah, surely, that is why that man is fat. That must be why all people are fat! I hold the secret!"

Lots of people can't eat a pizza in one sitting. You saying you can is utterly irrelevant.

It's not that ketogenic doesn't work at all, it's that it works no better than any other diet on this planet. And unlike many other diets out there, there are wide classes of people who couldn't or shouldn't do it. So you hyping it up is an example of how underinformed and stupid people are about diets. "Durr hur this worked for me so everyone should do it" is how people get fat

People are so totally getting fat off of grilled chicken, and I really question your sanity that you believe this is impossible.

It is correct that your experience that you can shovel a whole bunch of pizza in your mouth and don't want to do the same for chicken is irrelevant. So stop saying it.

Cingulate posted:

What you seem to hear: "If what you eat includes chicken breast, becoming fat is guaranteed to not happen."

This is not what is being said.

Because you keep presenting "eat chicken breast" as a solution, what don't you get? Stop saying it and I'll stop saying it's stupid!

Trent posted:

Personally, I don't think it's ludicrous. It is, however, incomplete scientifically and infective psychologically.

It's a good start, and one that it seems everyone -every single person- in the thread agrees with. It's just incomplete and therefore, as it sits, poor advice.

Eating less is complete scientific and in no way ineffective psychologically. You seem to keep confusing how you and other people won't bother to follow through with that making it "ineffective". If you want to use that standard, then literally everything is ineffective.

It is again, not incomplete. You're overthinking things in a stupid way, to demand that there be more to it.

Noam Chomsky posted:

Because you made arguments based on calories there chief. It's kind of important to not be hilariously wrong when making an argument based on facts.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Asiina posted:

If you misjudge the calories in a portion then you are not accurately judging how much you are eating, and can easily go over any calorie budget you may give yourself. This is also true.

I agree with this and the previous post.

Also, I was never saying that anyone should ballpark anything when trying to lose weight. I count all my calories on MyFitnesspal and I used FitDay the first time I lost a lot of weight.

My Pizza v. Chicken point was intended to disagree with Fishmech's assertion that it was somehow common that people were getting fat from eating grilled chicken and broccoli which just isn't true. You can become overweight by over-eating any food but it is unlikely that you will do so if you're eating "healthy" foods all the time.

And, yes, anything you do in order to lose weight will involve eating less but the base advice of "eat less" is useless. It's completely and totally obvious and is part and parcel to any decent diet. If someone's diet consists of chips, pizza, mountain dew, and M&Ms, "eat less" is really stupid useless advice for them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Noam Chomsky posted:

My Pizza v. Chicken point was intended to disagree with Fishmech's assertion that it was somehow common that people were getting fat from eating grilled chicken and broccoli which just isn't true. You can become overweight by over-eating any food but it is unlikely that you will do so if you're eating "healthy" foods all the time.

It is extremely common that fat people eat both lots of grilled chicken, and lots of broccoli. About as much as they eat any other meats, or vegetables. "Healthy foods" are essentially a fake, entirely scientifically incoherent, idea.

Your pigheaded belief in the concept of "healthy food", and that fat people aren't eating foods you deem "healthy" is why you have no understanding of how people get fat.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

It is again, not incomplete. You're overthinking things in a stupid way, to demand that there be more to it.

So if Fatty McFatterson the 350lb man was eating 9000 calories per day and ATE LESS, cutting down to 7000 calories per day, how fast would he lose weight?

Before you say that he's doing it wrong, and there is slightly more to doing it correctly, I'd like to remind you that

fishmech posted:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Trent posted:

So if Fatty McFatterson the 350lb man was eating 9000 calories per day and ATE LESS, cutting down to 7000 calories per day, how fast would he lose weight?

Before you say that he's doing it wrong, and there is slightly more to doing it correctly, I'd like to remind you that

So I get that you're pretending(?) to be extremely stupid, but the eat less solution is to continue to eat less until you're losing weight. It's really simple. If you stop losing weight for a while then just eat less again!

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Trent posted:

There are plenty of spices and flavorings that add little or no calories. Not everything needs ranch.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's also multiple kinds of vegetables so if you don't like broccoli you can just like, you know, eat something else. This idea that healthy eating = broccoli is absurd.

This guy... it's like impossible. He complains so loud that we all feel compelled to say something, so we give him unwanted advice and then he retorts with why this or that doesn't work. But he's bent on eating stuff he doesn't like, or approaching it already thinking he's not going to like it. His wife can cook just fine. She made lemon/garlic chicken today and it smelled good. Without tasting it he poured Tapatio all over it while laughing loudly. Okay duder. His snack today was white-chocolate chips. Well, they were pink, I think leftover from the baby shower. Ugh.

I take it back about the broccoli. I misremembered. I was eating broccoli and another coworker was eating asparagus. He made gagging sounds and complained about the smell. I don't think he's ever eaten broccoli. I saw something green on his plate once...maybe it was just lettuce.

Oh, and earlier this week he brought in a loaf of white bread and made a tripple decker sandwich while heckling our resident keto-guy.

Now that I type this out...I'm realizing this guy is really obnoxious. Ask me about him five minutes ago and I would tell you I thought he was great. I usually like working with him, but lately he's just crabby and short and whiny.

He also has IBS.

He doesn't even look fat, but he is not well.

silence_kit posted:

Saying that in order to diet you have to live the life of an ascetic monk is going a little overboard. A lot of the posters in SA's fitness forum are ex-fat kids, and they don't seem to be constantly unhappy about not being able to scarf down junk food all the time like they used to. A lot of them don't live on diets of only chicken breast and broccoli too.
Yup! That's me! (Except my diet now isn't that strict) I was horribly bullied too. This one little girl would take my lunch because I "didn't need it." You'd think I'd have food issues, which I did up until I moved to another country for a year which really reset my diet. But I also grew up with a vegetable garden, so plain or lightly seasoned veggies don't bother me. I just also ate too many cheetos...dunked in cottage cheese. Ugh, why did I like that?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

fishmech posted:

It is correct that your experience that you can shovel a whole bunch of pizza in your mouth and don't want to do the same for chicken is irrelevant. So stop saying it.

The same is true at a population level. Calorie for calorie, chicken breast is more satiating than pizza. It may or may not be universal, but it certainly is true for the majority.

• Locked thread