Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
fishmech could I eat a single meal of Five Guys every day, lose weight, and be totally fine and healthy? I mean surely there's a point at which your food is so calorie dense and so lacking in micronutrients that it becomes a problem, right? Such a meal plan would still put me quite close to my daily caloric limit for losing or maintaining weight, and still gives me a reasonable balance of my macronutrients. Thing is, it leaves me dangerously low on things like Iron, calcium, vitamins, and potassium.

It seems there has to be some legitimacy to the idea of healthy vs. unhealthy foods if that's the case. If the only way I can get my required nutrients through such foods is through eating an excess of calories, surely that's not a 'healthy' way of eating. I know your contention is that fat people just over-eat all kinds of different foods, but I know at least a few people who ate themselves into obesity simply by being picky eaters who ate nothing but hot dogs, chicken nuggets, and french fries. I challenge you to create a diet with those kinds of foods that would hit your recommended nutrient goals without going over your recommended daily caloric limit.

In that sense, I guess 'healthy food' is more of a useful fiction than a real thing- used to describe foods that have high nutritional yield per calorie, both in terms of optimal balance of macro-nutrients and delivery of sufficient micronutrients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

computer parts posted:

I mean, this is also true if you only ate chicken breasts.

Or just straight refined sugar, or lard.

I suppose fish mechs contention would be those foods aren't inherently unhealthy so much as the diet is unhealthy?

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

fishmech posted:

Probably, depending on the meal. Why are you so surprised by that? There's a pretty wide range of things you can make a meal from at Five Guys and it's not like they poison their food.

Again: you people just want to believe so hard that food U dislike is evil.

I loving love Five Guys you shut your drat mouth!

But in all seriousness chill out buddy, I'm just pitching some questions to better understand your position. I'm not even saying you're wrong so quit it with the assumptions about what I believe. Christ it was literally my first post in this topic, and I even gave the the benefit of the doubt in my second post. Here, I'll quote it for you:

JVNO posted:

I suppose fish mechs contention would be those foods aren't inherently unhealthy so much as the diet is unhealthy?

Fascinating, human beings are capable of nuanced opinions.

I mean, if you're just trying to be obstinate and unpleasant then be my guest, keep misrepresenting others arguments just so you can 'win', whatever that means.

• Locked thread