Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nocts
Apr 22, 2008
Soiled Meat

Mandator posted:

You can lose weight if you eat 1500 calories a day.

Does anything else have to be said? Can anybody disprove or argue against this?

Yes, something more does need to be said. I've been seeing this point come up a lot and I want to address it. I have been overweight before and when I tried simply to restrict calories I could not focus when I was at my job, and I just couldn't afford to lose that productivity at work. I probably would have been fired or would not have advanced in my job. When I started to address where my calories came from I was able to reduce my caloric intake without the same problems. I'm not saying all overweight people have the same problem but it was a real issue for me and I wouldn't be surprised if it was for others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocts
Apr 22, 2008
Soiled Meat

Mandator posted:

Fair enough. What if you increased the calorie count until you felt you could focus, then slowly reduced it week by week?

I'll admit that quite possibly would have worked. I did find it difficult for various reasons (e.g. odd working hours, meals cooked by others(I lived in a co-op), varying levels of physical activity week-to-week) to get reasonably accurate numbers both for expenditure and intake when I did try it.

• Locked thread