Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Q

I have a completely serious question: Why does exercise and diet not cause weight loss, in your opinion? After many people losing weight through proper nutrition and burning calories (including myself) I wanted to know why you believe, and how you believe, that the two are not at all linked with weight maintenance. Again, I know this may look like I'm trying to offend someone, and I know saying I'm not trying to is not the same as actually not offending someone but I just want to know the logic.

A

I am not a biologist. I know that biological systems are extremely complex, and that they can and do alter their processes in response to environment. I know that bodies are not closed systems, and a closed system is the only type in which the thermodynamics argument is a valid one – the calories in < calories out theory. I know a lot of pieces. I don’t know, because no one does, the exact mechanisms or reasons (not that biological systems have to have reasons as we understand them).

You were doing pretty well in your phrasing at the beginning, and then you loving lost it.

The “logic” is that it is observably true that there is no real way in which the vast majority of fat people can become and stay thin. None. Zip. Zero.

There are occasional fat people who become thin and stay thin, like child rapist Jared whoever of Subway fame. But mostly what happens is that somebody has some kind of health problem, gains enough weight to be “overweight”, and then addresses the problem in some fashion (possibly diet or exercise, possibly medication or removing an allergen or some other thing), and the weight comes back off. (This actually supports the set-point theory of weight, that there is a weight that each individual body will preferentially return to, and that sometimes that’s fat and that sometimes that’s thin, but for the vast majority of people there’s no way to bring that point down, although you can damage your metabolism by weight cycling and force that point up.) Or else an actual fat person manages to lose a bunch of weight and brags about it while in the honeymoon phase, but two to five years later, all the weight is back and has probably brought along some more.

It’s not a matter of what we believe. It’s a matter of observable loving reality. If you were actually fat, long-term fat not temporarily fat, and lost more than 10% of your body weight and kept it off for more than five years, then you are an extreme outlier statistically. If you fall into one of the other categories – temporarily fat, had a health problem that caused weight gain and corrected it, weren’t actually fat to begin with and just lost the 5-10% or so that it actually is possible for most people to keep off long-term, or you’re still in the honeymoon period and will regain all of it – then you fit the model we’re talking about. But the actual, factual scientific evidence – the evidence we keep on posting and people like you keep on ignoring – says that long-term major weight loss doesn’t work. That aside from extreme outliers, fat people don’t get thin and stay that way. We don’t believe it or logic it, it’s simply fact.

Seriously, go read the links in our FAQ, or the blog @bigfatscience

One more thing. You knew perfectly well that your question was insulting, that it would upset us. I can tell you did because you kept making excuses for it. The thing is, intention isn’t magic, and if it’s rude for a troll, it’s rude for you, too.

Here’s why it’s rude. You’ve clearly seen us respond to people who ask us these questions, so you must have seen us say things like, “Seriously, go read the links in our FAQ, or the blog @bigfatscience.” And apparently you couldn’t be bothered to actually loving do that. Nooooo, you had to demand our time and attention, as if our time is worth less than the time it would take you to go read the poo poo we always loving link to.

Seriously, if you wanted to understand, say, geometry, would you take a class or open a book, or would you write to a professor and demand that she take time out of her day to explain all of it to you right then, even though she already wrote the goddamn book for the class you aren’t taking because you think harassing her instead is a great idea. While telling her she’s wrong about it, based on your extremely limited anecdotal experience of Cartesian planes. And asking for her logic in insisting that two of the angles of an isoscolese triangle are always congruent, because you’ve seen a lot of isosceles triangles where they aren’t!

Seriously, this is how ignorant, foolish and rude you look. You have no idea.

gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Wait, is JFairFax being serious? I thought that was just some copy/paste crap from thisisthinprivilage that was posted for humor on this here comedy website, but if it's a serious post, then loving lol.

it's from this is thin privilege - which I check every few days for a good chuckle

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
she probably gave it to herself

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
j/k

I wonder if they've bothered to register at companies house

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
plus if your gym is like a YMCA or something similar you have a mix of young and old, all shapes and sizes just doing their thing.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Drink water when you are hungry, or eat fruit and vegetables

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lots of fat fucks in tcutethread

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yes eating vegetables is bad for you

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Look eating sensible portions of unprocessed food and exercising will not help you loose weight.

You loving idiots this is why we need fat shaming more and more

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I want to see a convoy of rascals tumbling off the golden gate bridge and flooding San Francisco with an obese driven tsunami

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Fat people. Eat less. Exercise more

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Would rather b b12 deficient than morbidly obese.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

There isn't really any such thing as "healthy food" beyond "food that is not actively poisoned or otherwise contaminated".

This is loving bullshit

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Technically correct is the best type of correct

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
But also loving insufferable

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
how quickly did you put the 100lbs back on?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
loving hell, does fishmech have a job or something?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Djokovic's gluten free diet is code for 'doping'

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
everyone ITT needs to post their height and weight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

khwarezm posted:

It seems to me that its that the HAES crowd is not so much about the 500 pound people, but the less extreme weight categories that a massive fraction of the population is in at this point. There's lots of questionable studies and quirks that they can point to, look at the obesity paradox stuff that was brought up earlier and it manages to keep the water muddy enough that some otherwise intelligent, well-meaning people go along with it. Like there's lots of people who look like they know what their talking about who peddle the kind of stuff that HAES laps up, and the general perception of nutrition among the general population tends to be one of utter confusion, so if you read an article in a relatively reputable place like Time or Slate that aligns with what the fat acceptance or HAES crowd says about the evils of dieting or whatever you might end up going along with the whole thing.

yeah but for most people even being 300 lbs is deep into morbidly obese territory

• Locked thread